G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Custom Spoiler Project ~ Picture Heavy :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012 | 06:53 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Premier Member
Originally Posted by d0nutboii
i would totally hop on the strafespeedv2, if only the reverse lights lined up with the brake lights =\
I've been saying this for a while now. (Waits for someone to come hollering it can fit if it is installed correctly. )

Originally Posted by sh0rtys463
What's so horrible about the HD/K2 trunk? Flimsy or doesn't line up well? Or..?
Both unfortunately. The trunk is so thin it seems like it would break if you set a heavy bag of groceries on it.

Old 02-13-2012 | 09:09 AM
|
G35
So am I hearing that if we want this style of trunk in good quality, we have to make it? This sucks....
I don't trust any body shop to do this. I'll have to find out what to use for the raised piece....hmmmmm.

Still hoping to find something half decent for purchase...

Old 02-13-2012 | 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
Kudos TunerMax - it's changes like this that make a subtle but significant difference! I like the way it turned out.

Aesthetically I think its an improvement. Performance - lets face it, the OEM design was/is much more for looks than down-force... but as opposed to the post above (two posts up by this time), I think your mod might in fact help plant the rear - not create up-force. On the other hand, with the space underneath I think a smoke chamber or significant knowledge in airflow dynamics would be necessary to know for sure. It really doesnt matter because its doubtful you will ever be at speeds on sweeping turns that would require engineered down-force anyway.

Nice mod
Pretty sure the OEM wing is designed to basically be 0 drag 0 lift 0 downforce, aesthetics only. By changing that angle to be more upwards, it probably creates some lift and more drag. Whether it would be a significant amount at freeway speeds, would probably have to find someone with more knowledge.

Old 02-13-2012 | 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by totopo
Pretty sure the OEM wing is designed to basically be 0 drag 0 lift 0 downforce, aesthetics only. By changing that angle to be more upwards, it probably creates some lift and more drag. Whether it would be a significant amount at freeway speeds, would probably have to find someone with more knowledge.
freeway speeds, no. 100mph+ possibly, but not enough to make a difference... but it wont create up-force from the angle being up (when air passes over top it creates down-force)... the only issue "might" be the gap under the spoiler which "might" have an affect - but because of that gap, there is no drag (which is probably why it was designed that way in the first place).

BTW, you've been a member since 2005 and only have 19 posts?

The following users liked this post:
TunerMax (02-14-2012)
Old 02-14-2012 | 12:03 AM
|
G35
^This. The comments about drag around here really crack me up. You're driving a heavy **** Infiniti. if you care about details like COF, you'd be stripping the interior before you posted about what difference the wax you use makes on your COF.

Just saying... Kind of a pointless point..

The following 2 users liked this post by TunerMax:
CandlestickPark (02-14-2012), NjMatteSedan (02-14-2012)
Old 02-14-2012 | 12:15 AM
^i wouldn't say all that... our cars, specifically the sedans have a really good drag-cof from the factory(especially Nismo sedans), so some people just don't wanna mess up a good thing. as for heavy, the early '03 sedans are lighter than '07+ 350z's, they're lighter than all the coupes and have more even weight distribution.

Old 02-14-2012 | 12:35 AM
|
G35
Originally Posted by SDGenius
^i wouldn't say all that... our cars, specifically the sedans have a really good drag-cof from the factory(especially Nismo sedans), so some people just don't wanna mess up a good thing. as for heavy, the early '03 sedans are lighter than '07+ 350z's, they're lighter than all the coupes and have more even weight distribution.
Lighter than a lot of cars, but not light. I'm not hating on the car by any means. And I agree, the reason for all this COF talk is a lot of marketing by Infiniti claiming excellent COF. I have no issue believing them either, but to think that it's going to make some huge difference if you change your hood, etc, is a little off the wall. especially considering the agressive modding that goes on around here. The biggest impact you're ever going to have on COF is ride height. Most if not all other items are neglidgable in relation.

I guess the point is there are a lot of other things that can be done to increase fuel economy, road noise, and power to weight dynamics. We've got a good baseline COF, so focus your attention on other items that aren't helping these items. (the main items a COF actually has impact on in DD activites.)

Again, I agree with your post, I just think people are taking it way, way too far. Seems like anytime anyone farts or coughs around here someone says "hey YOU chill that's screwing up the aerodynamics!!!" LOLZ

Old 02-14-2012 | 12:55 AM
|
G35
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Both unfortunately. The trunk is so thin it seems like it would break if you set a heavy bag of groceries on it.
Back OT, I hate poor fitment, but this seems to be the only option short of getting something custom done. TBH, I don't even know where to start with that, and would likely have to enlist a Body shop to do it, and that leads me on another goose hunt trying to find a good custom body man in my area...

Wondering if trying my luck on the K2 or V2 in FG would be worth the attempt, and if I can't deal with fitment or poor quality, I can cut the lip off and mould it onto my stock trunk...?

Old 02-14-2012 | 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by TunerMax
Back OT, I hate poor fitment, but this seems to be the only option short of getting something custom done. TBH, I don't even know where to start with that, and would likely have to enlist a Body shop to do it, and that leads me on another goose hunt trying to find a good custom body man in my area...

Wondering if trying my luck on the K2 or V2 in FG would be worth the attempt, and if I can't deal with fitment or poor quality, I can cut the lip off and mould it onto my stock trunk...?
Jmonsale did his own molded wing trunk it looks really good. Very similar to the aftermartet one. I wonder which spoiler he used

Old 02-14-2012 | 10:34 AM
|
G35
I finally heard back from someone at Strafe, they are assuring me of the fitment and quality of their trunks quite blatantly.
Back, and forth, back, and forth

Old 02-14-2012 | 10:38 AM
|
G35
Originally Posted by BlkSedan4me
Jmonsale did his own molded wing trunk it looks really good. Very similar to the aftermartet one. I wonder which spoiler he used
CSL style spoiler for the E46 SEDAN

I saw that one but large thanks. It came out nice, but not at all my style, doensn't flow with the G sedan's lines IMO, too bulky.

Old 02-14-2012 | 12:35 PM

I saw that one but large thanks. It came out nice, but not at all my style, doensn't flow with the G sedan's lines IMO, too bulky.
np. Good luck

Old 02-14-2012 | 02:28 PM

I'm pretty sure Strafe is the same (which used to be Hickadori, or whatever it was called)... I could be wrong - but I think it's basically the same as Joe's.

Old 02-14-2012 | 02:32 PM
nah, the HD was designed off Chris'(G35papa) car using a Wald MB Black Bison rear lip

The following 3 users liked this post by SDGenius:
CandlestickPark (02-17-2012), G35Papa (02-15-2012), TunerMax (02-14-2012)
Old 02-14-2012 | 02:40 PM
|
G35
^This.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom Spoiler Project ~ Picture Heavy :)