G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

How much non-premium gas is bad for the engine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassman
I don't know if anyone on this thread realizesit or not but the major difference between the AT engine and the couple/MT engine are the cams are different. The different cam timing produces different peak cylinder pressures. It's not just ignition timing that cause a need for more octane.
orly? Any more info on this, this'd be the first I've heard of a difference in the actual cam. Except of course, for the RevUp.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
87 or 91 we can still reach 88 mph.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts
What about 07 and up lol ?

Old 03-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ohsixmtee
87 or 91 we can still reach 88 mph.
I never go past 68. Always have to turn around.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I don’t know why we keep seeing these threads…..The only reason I can think of to use regular gas over premium is to save money.

Gas prices by me right now are about 4.05 for regular and 4.25 for premium. If I put 16 gallons of regular gas in my car, it costs $64.80. If I put 16 gallons of premium gas in my car, it costs $68.00. That is a whopping savings of $3.20. I fill up about every two weeks meaning I would only save about $83 a year.

Because the price difference between regular and premium gas is almost negligible compared the price per gallon (about 4%), people who try to save money by using regular gas instead of premium should look to save money other ways. Plus, is the risk of damaging your engine (proven or not) really worth $80 a year considering an Infiniti dealership charges that much just to open the hood?

The following 3 users liked this post by mjwalter80:
Eric@TCGMiami (03-15-2012), mpugeda (05-08-2012), TunerMax (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mjwalter80
I don’t know why we keep seeing these threads…..The only reason I can think of to use regular gas over premium is to save money.

Gas prices by me right now are about 4.05 for regular and 4.25 for premium. If I put 16 gallons of regular gas in my car, it costs $64.80. If I put 16 gallons of premium gas in my car, it costs $68.00. That is a whopping savings of $3.20. I fill up about every two weeks meaning I would only save about $83 a year.

Because the price difference between regular and premium gas is almost negligible compared the price per gallon (about 4%), people who try to save money by using regular gas instead of premium should look to save money other ways. Plus, is the risk of damaging your engine (proven or not) really worth $80 a year considering an Infiniti dealership charges that much just to open the hood?
This X1000.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by mjwalter80

Well said dude.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
280+ HP N/A 3.5L ENGINE
with 87 octane gas that is funny. They probably just figured out a way to prevent damage when people
put cheap gas in their car.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
My MT6 sedan says 91 octane is "Recomended". My Honda Si says 91 octane "REQUIRED" there is a big difference.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
There is so much bad information in this thread and I can't believe I'm going to feed this topic yet again, but here goes:

I own a 2004 6MT sedan. My owners manual states nowhere that 87 octane is fine to use except for short distances and it is to be mixed with 91 or higher as soon as possible.

Why the difference between the 2003 and 2004 sedans? 2003 sedans had different ECUs and therefor different tuning.

Sedans and Coupes do NOT have different cams. The only cam difference is with revup and nonrevup engines.

The following 2 users liked this post by PAIXAO:
Eric@TCGMiami (03-15-2012), TunerMax (03-16-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 05:16 PM
I think I'm just going to put NOS soda in my tank when I get a G35.

Now where is that dripping sarcasm smilie?

Old 03-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
My MT6 sedan says 91 octane is "Recomended". My Honda Si says 91 octane "REQUIRED" there is a big difference.
Go ahead bro, compare completely different Car manufacturers, and their use of different words.

It's also "recommended" to change your oil.

Originally Posted by PAIXAO
There is so much bad information in this thread and I can't believe I'm going to feed this topic yet again, but here goes:

I own a 2004 6MT sedan. My owners manual states nowhere that 87 octane is fine to use except for short distances and it is to be mixed with 91 or higher as soon as possible.

Why the difference between the 2003 and 2004 sedans? 2003 sedans had different ECUs and therefor different tuning.

Sedans and Coupes do NOT have different cams. The only cam difference is with revup and nonrevup engines.
^I'm with this guy.

And thanks for clarifying about the cams, I was pretty doubtful that Nissan'd change a freaking cam because of a different transmisison, not effing likely.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by TunerMax
Go ahead bro, compare completely different Car manufacturers, and their use of different words.

It's also "recommended" to change your oil.

If you had done any research on this (you didn't), you would find that the language is the same throughout the brands.

Edmunds has compiled two lists: "premium recommended" and "premium required" for vehicles from the 2008-2012 model years (with a few 2013 model-year vehicles). If your vehicle is on the "premium recommended" list, you're OK to switch to regular unleaded gasoline. If, on the other hand, your car is on the "premium required" list, then you should run premium fuel. You can confirm our information by checking your owner's manual — always a good idea
http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...g-premium.html

Our tests confirm that for most cars there is no compelling reason to buy more expensive fuel than the factory recommends, as any performance gain realized will surely be far less than the percentage hike in price. Cheapskates burning regular in cars designed to run on premium fuel can expect to trim performance by about the same percent they save at the pump. If the car is sufficiently new and sophisticated, it may not suffer any ill effects, but all such skinflints should be ready to switch back to premium at the first sign of knock or other drivability woes. And finally, if a car calibrated for regular fuel begins to knock on anything less than premium or midgrade, owners should invest in a tuneup, emissions-control-system repair, or detergent additives to solve, rather than bandage, the root problem. Class dismissed.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...results-page-2

From the 2005 manual

FUEL RECOMMENDATION
Sedan Ð Automatic transmission models

Use unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Anti-Knock
Index) number (Research octane number 91). For improved vehicle performance,
INFINITI recommends the use of unleaded premium gasoline with an octane
rating of at least 91 AKI number (Research octane number 96).

Sedan Ð Manual transmission and Coupe models

Use unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-
Knock Index) number (Research octane number 96).

If premium gasoline is not available, unleaded regular gasoline with an octane
rating of 87 AKI number (Research octane number 91) may be temporarily used, but
only under the following precautions: O Have the fuel tank filled only partially
with unleaded regular gasoline, and fill up with unleaded premium gasoline
as soon as possible.

O Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration. However, for maximum vehicle performance, the use of unleaded premium gasoline is recommended.
So Infiniti is not fond of it in the higher compression cars, but they tolerate it.

I for one have not run anything lower than 89 in mine. What's two points...

Old 03-16-2012, 12:26 AM
Nissan sport magazine did a test couple years ago to compare 91 to 87. The 91 was getting better mpg. Since it was getting better mpg it was offsetting the higher cost of fuel.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Dude, like mjwalter stated earlier, just spend the extra money to have not risk any sort of damage to your car. If you can't afford, what, $4(?) extra per tank (assuming it's a difference of .20/gal from reg>prem) to assure yourself that your $10,000+ car will be safe then sell it to someone who cares. I bought my '06 last summer ('11) with 34k miles for almost 29Kish after financing (roughly $24 before, steep price but I wanted the car); there's no way I'm gonna cut corners to save $4/tank and risk losing my investment. Bottom line: just buy premium or at least what is recommended in the manual/factory service bulletins.You're spending more than that extra amount paying for your electricity used just to ask this. You're wasting MY money now. =P

The following 2 users liked this post by 350GT_:
mjwalter80 (03-17-2012), TunerMax (03-16-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How much non-premium gas is bad for the engine?