G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

one clunking sound on cold start up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one clunking sound on cold start up

ok guys im new to this forum i didnt see anything on my particular problem, or i just suck at searching. i have an 03 g35 sedan with about 120,000mi on it, i get this clunk sound on cold start up its only one clunk, i can feel it in the steering wheel as well, after i drive it and the car is warm or even half *** warm it wont do it again. wondering if anyone on here has had this issue or has any info on this. the mounts are good and the starter is new and it did it with the old starter on as well so i can count those things out. thanks

Old 03-15-2012, 01:32 PM
somebody?

Old 03-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
I posted this thread right when I got my car because of a similar (hopefully the same) issue. Check it out.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...ise-ideas.html

Turns out it was the ABS test that the G does the first time it hits 9-10 MPH on every startup. You can also go on youtube and search "G35 ABS Test" and you will hear the noise I'm talking about. If it's the same, then you have no worries.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-15-2012, 01:44 PM
thanks for the reply, im aware of the abs test and know when that goes on, but the issue im having is when its sitting still in park and not moving and its one clunk that i can feel and hear on cold start ups

Old 03-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
You got me there...but what might help is if you can shoot a quick ghetto video with your phone or something that will at least capture the sound and upload it to youtube and link it here. Maybe some of the many knowledgable folks on here will take a look at it and help you with a solution.

It worked for me!

Old 03-15-2012, 01:55 PM
the noise is so faint that im 99% sure my phone wont pick it up, you can definitely hear it in person and feel it, so im thinking the video wont work on a noise im describing, thanks for your help and replys though, hopefully someone will read this and has had a similar issue and chimes in with a reply

Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM
I get the same sound in my 03 5AT Sedan. I've only had it a couple months but it hasn't seemed like an issue yet. I wonder if it could have something to do with the steering wheel being released? If I'm not mistaken the steering wheel is locked when the car is not started.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Same sound on cold start 04' G35 5AT

Hey guys, I am new to the forums here and I have two sounds that are driving me crazy. The one clunk on cold start I figured out. AC compressor clutch. Not sure yet if the compressor is dying or the clutch itself, but it is definitely the AC compressor / clutch assembly.

One of my master techs said to leave the AC off over night then try the cold start and listen for it. So with the environment controls off it was gone. So to check my theory, I tried a cold start again with the AC left on the night before, CLUNK it was back. So check your AC system for that one.

The other noise that is driving me nuts right now is the clunking sound coming from the passengers side up either above the window or inside of the sunroof area. I thought the passenger seatbelt was banging on the door while driving around, but secured it and the noise continues. It's almost like something is banging around in the body on that side of the car. It sounds like its about shoulder level in the upper part of the door / rear quarter / passenger side roof. If anyone knows what that could be or what to look for let me know.

I have to say I love my G ... great car!!

Old 01-23-2014, 04:03 PM
Was this clunking noise issue ever figured out?

I picked up my "new to me" '06 6MT with 77k on Monday and it sounds as though I have the same "one clunk" sound on the cold start ups.

I'm a new transplant to the G35 world from a 10+yr love affair with my '96 Impala SS (which was totaled recently)... so, thanks for any help as I learn a new car.

Thanks,
Mike
Austin, TX

Old 01-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Hey Mike, I still got it- yep it's back! I guess it is the ABS pre-test as was stated in earlier Posts. (sounds almost like something is going to jump out of the hood immediately when turning the key cold, right?) I may have to haul it to the dealer for the $140 dollarish inspection / verification.

The knock sound around the roof on the passengers side is still there too. Sounds like a loose piece of metal or plastic bumping around in the body/roof upper passenger side when going over a speed bump or rough spot on the road. Edit: this knock sound in the roof area is NOT all the time- only certain SLOW bumps when going over stuff is when it happens. Any suggestions would be welcome.

On another note, the gasket that connects the oil filter/cooler adapter blew out. Nothing severe. The part at infiniti was like 5 bucks. I changed the oil to Amsoil. 5w-30 signature line full synthetic OAP-IV. (I deal with Oil daily and yes have a very good understanding of how it works)- I read that the gasket goes out about 60k miles and both Nissan and Infiniti change them at about that mileage. The factory crappy one is Orange. You're at the right mileage to check it anyhow, so I recommend on your next oil change to go ahead and change it.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Mospeada
(sounds almost like something is going to jump out of the hood immediately when turning the key cold, right?)
That's exactly what my car does. I feel like the engine mounts are to blame. I feel it through the clutch pedal too when the engine starts. It's like the engine moves upwards and hits the hood right when the engine starts. Wonder what it could be??

Old 02-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Hey guys not sure if anyone figured it out yet but I just got my 03 G35 sedan over the weekend and the last 2 days I get the one clunk sound. hope its nothing major and it's definitely not the ABS test. there was a post a little farther up that said try a video I did and you really couldn't hear it so the video didn't work for me, but you can feel and hear it in person.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:10 AM
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
A bit of a thread revival, but I have a similar noise to the above mentioned.

When I first start the car, 04 G35 sedan automatic, in the morning or after it sat for more than say 6 hours or so, engine cranks over nice and fine, but as soon as it 'fires' I get the clunk noise randomly. To me it sounds like its coming from outside the motor. I had a feeling it could be the starter motor dying, but I replaced it with a new one from Oreilly's and no changes. It does it randomly, but as mentioned in earlier posts, I am beginning to suspect the AC compressor clutch. I replaced both the drive belts a few months ago, and I don't believe it made this noise before I changed the belts. I've tried experimenting by leaving the AC on or completely off when shutting down and later restarting the car, but it only makes the 'clunk' about 40% of the time, so its hard to narrow it down. I'm thinking that maybe the bearing that the main A/C pulley rides on is failing, creating some play/wobble, and it either hits the front clutch of the compressor, or maybe it hits the compressor casing itself, but I'm not sure and no expert either. The car runs absolutely flawless otherwise, but this noise still baffles me.
I took a video:

I was reading on Altima and Maxima forums thinking maybe it was a common VQ problem, but I only came across a few threads stating that failed/failing motor mounts can create a noise at start up too, so I may take a look at them on my car later this week since its supposed to rain today. I also read on Dodge Cummins diesels forum that said they have similar 'clunk' noises coming from the A/C compressor at startup as well, and it seemed they attributed it to refrigerant oil draining/pooling back into the ac compressor when it sits.

Has anyone else had this issue and solved it?

Old 03-10-2020, 12:38 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Wow, not often I hear a noise I've never heard before.

You can replicate this right? Turn the engine off, wait, start the engine and it's got a high chance of making the sound.

I would start a process of elimination, start by REMOVING the AC belt, go for a couple days with no AC and see if the problem goes away, if so you know it's either the tensioner or the AC compressor.

Next try removing the primary belt, see if it goes away then, obviously this one will be a lot more difficult because you'll need to reinstall the belt again before you can drive anywhere.

While you have both belts off spin all the pulleys by hand and see if any of them feel wierd. You will need to get the Gates 91132 and Gates 91107 krikit tool to check tension on the belts when you reinstall them. Primary belt is set at 175 pounds for a used belt (200 lbs for a new belt), AC belt is 100 lbs for a used belt (125 lbs for a new belt).

The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (03-21-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 01:13 PM
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
Thanks Cleric
If I shut off & restart the engine immediately it doesn't make the noise, oddly enough. Only after its sat for a period of time.
It looks like its only one 10mm fastener holding the outer clutch plate onto the compressor, so I may remove it tonight and run it for a few days to see if it stops the noise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: one clunking sound on cold start up