G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Acura TL or Infiniti G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 05:02 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
Wow, even the noobs are yelling at people for re-posting old topics. What's this forum coming to?

Old 01-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meeno
Acura TL is better built than the G35 and has a nicer interior x 10. Navi is better as well. Has bluetooth, etc etc. I also think it looks better and more agressive than the G35 Sedan.

That being said, its not as fun to drive and is FWD.
Actually it isn't better built. They have a huge list of problems that belong to a KIA.

Seriously the G35 is put together much better, and better materials as well.

Old 01-07-2005, 09:21 AM
I thought he was asking about g35 "RWD" VS "TL" ... not g35x !!! ...lol

Old 01-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks for all the help.

I am going to the Circle Infiniti this afternoon to check the car out, I don't intend to buy for another month or so though, I want to keep paying on my 2000 Acura so that the trade-in will at lease be close to what I still owe.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:55 AM
OK. I'll add my opinion as well. I came from a BMW 3er heading out of warranty so it was time for a new car. Drove many cars in the 35-50K range before buying the G.

I can sum up the difference between the TL and the G for me. I test drove the TL 4 times trying to like the car. I drove the G twice. I could not get past the FWD of the TL. The torque steer was too intrusive in the 6 speed and handling was off on both auto and stick due to the front bias. I initially passed on the G as for me the pre-2005 interior just did not work. Took another look at the 05's and was sold immediately. Had it about two weeks and it is awesome so far.

Pags
05 G35 sedan, 5AT, Sport, Navi

Old 01-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Is the interior in the 2005 substantially different from previous models, I read that they used better quality materials, etc.., etc... but all companies say that every year. I haven't been able to fin dnay really good pictures of the interior even from infiniti.com.

The Acura website offers the 360' view of the TL interior so you can really get a feel for what that is like.

Old 01-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I remember in a previous post on the topic that someone described the TL as being "luxury sport" and the G35 "sport luxury" I forget who it was that stated that, but I think it that is bang on!! I guess you just need to decide what is more important to you....

Old 01-07-2005, 12:35 PM
The TSX is the best car in the acura line up. and a hell of a lot like the TL - just think you can have the best of both lineups! And canuck is right. The G is not as lux as most entry lux cars but what matters: Ambient lighting or your grin when you steer through a turn pushing just a bit and then get to swing the rear around with some throttle. TL is built on the accord platform and the G is built on the Z platform, Genes are everything!

Old 01-07-2005, 01:51 PM
I have to agree with what everyone is saying about the G, well the good things anyway.

I had my mind set on the TL. I had driven it about 5 or 6 times had the color picked and found a sales guy I liked. When the day came to buy the TL the "manager" at the dealership wouldn meet my price, so I said I'd have to think about it.

So at this point on the way home just for fun I decided to test drive the G. I never looked at a TL again after that. The G was so much more fun to drive, having had mostly RWD cars I felt so much more confortalbe driving the G and the sales guy offered me a lower price of the car up front. That was the real shocker, must have been a slow month for him.

I've owned it 6 months now and don't regret it in the least.

A good friend of mine bought a TL for his wife a few weeks back, she loves it and didn't look at the G either. I told him it was his loss.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Havok1327
I have to agree with what everyone is saying about the G, well the good things anyway.

I had my mind set on the TL. I had driven it about 5 or 6 times had the color picked and found a sales guy I liked. When the day came to buy the TL the "manager" at the dealership wouldn meet my price, so I said I'd have to think about it.

So at this point on the way home just for fun I decided to test drive the G. I never looked at a TL again after that. The G was so much more fun to drive, having had mostly RWD cars I felt so much more confortalbe driving the G and the sales guy offered me a lower price of the car up front. That was the real shocker, must have been a slow month for him.

I've owned it 6 months now and don't regret it in the least.

A good friend of mine bought a TL for his wife a few weeks back, she loves it and didn't look at the G either. I told him it was his loss.
This story is very similar to mine. I was all set to get a TL until the dealership wouldn't deal on price. It made me do more research (huge lesson learned) and I found the G. Never looked back. Thanks Acura dealership for not dealing.

Havoc,
You should email or telephone the sales manager of the Acura dealership and tell them the story above. I think a lot of people are turned off to Acura automobiles because the dealerships think people will buy their cars regardless of price. I called the Acura dealership that wouldn't deal with me and told them how they lost a sale. Of course he copped an arrogant attitude and said "It's [the Infiniti] isn't an Acura." Please! Get over yourself!

Old 01-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't imagine any Acura dealers dealing on the TL's price by the way they are selling- TL's are multiplying like rabbits around here (Jacksonville, FL). I was on I-95 the other day and there was a TL on my left, a TL on my right, and a TL behind me! I see them everywhere I go already and it is a new model. If my girlfriend wanted to buy a new car, I'd steer her towards the TL in an instant (FWD is safer than high-powered RWD for those who don't care about driving dynamics). The TL has a nice interior as well. I always try to see who is driving the TL and at least 3/4ths of them are driven by women and they haven't figured out how to use the Bluetooth yet since they are always yapping on their cell phones. For me, I can't stand the FWD and there's no reason to have a FWD car down here in FL since it never snows here. The TL is a good-looking car, but still reminds me too much of an "appliance" and doesn't have character. The G35 has character and simply kicks the TL's butt if you're an enthusiast. The G's interior is really nice in my book and I like how the stereo & climate controls are NOT integrated with the Nav- makes upgrading the stereo to a high-end system that much easier. The G has excellent build quality and is the way to go if you're an enthusiast, hands-down. If you have to drive in snow a lot, I would lean toward the TL or make absolute sure you have excellent snow tires on the G otherwise.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:27 PM
TL Vs G35..g35 Wins Again!

After I had purchased my 04 G35 sedan premium package, I started looking for a car for my wife. She had a 2001 Acura TL and truth be told, I was never fond of it. It had a nice V6, but sunroof rattle, trans problems etc. Not up to "Honda" quality. We drove the new TL and while it was a nice car, it wasn't for us. All the neat bells and whisltles are things you can live without...more things to break. And knowing of the TL VS G35 rivalry, I took a real good ride in the Acura. The interior felt more crowded to me. It certainly did not have a sports car feel. The G sedan will make you smile and swear you are in a sports car. The rumble at ignition and the sound from the exhaust when you romp on it will glue a smile to your face.You better take a nice ride in the G before you decide to purchase the TL. Either purchase will give you a nice car. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gspotter
there was a TL on my left, a TL on my right, and a TL behind me!
Here a TL there a TL everywhere a TL, TL. Old McDonald had a TL, ee ii ee ii oo. And on his TL he had some...
If you have to drive in snow a lot, I would lean toward the TL or make absolute sure you have excellent snow tires on the G otherwise.
Or get the AWD (G35x)

Old 01-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fotodad
Here a TL there a TL everywhere a TL, TL. Old McDonald had a TL, ee ii ee ii oo. And on his TL he had some... Or get the AWD (G35x)
I agree on both!

Old 01-08-2005, 04:14 AM
raj
I have a couple of comments to add. First, your choice depends to some extent on the transmission you prefer. Apparently torque steer on the TL is more pronounced with the stick shift. Second, in my opinion, if you live where there is a serious winter you would need good snow tires with either car. It is true that all season tires and front wheel drive are adequate for cars -- but only so long as the cars do not have sporty intentions. The generally higher horsepower of sporty cars, combined with their lower profile tires, make snow tires mandatory in inclement weather. This is true even for all wheel drive cars from BMW and Audi. For example, I suspect one could get away with all-seasons even in a Subaru Outback XT wagon but one may need snow tires for the Legacy GT!
The moral of the story? The decision should not rest on whether or not you need snow tires. The real issue is whether for you the car is a refuge or an expression of passion; whether serenity or excitement floats your boat! The best part is, you win whatever you choose -- both cars are compelling values. Best of luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Acura TL or Infiniti G35