G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Acura TL or Infiniti G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks RAJ-I test drove the Infiniti yesterday, very nice ride, I am currently driving a 2000 TL. The engine on the Infiniti was obviously much more powerful, but also much louder. I would be getting automatic, and I live in New Jersey, so winter driving is an issue although I I live very close to work and isn't really a major issue.

I am trying to talk myself into the Infiniti b/c I like the exterior MUCH better than the new TL, but the interior, even on the '05 seems inferior. I still haven't driven the 05 TL, but from everything I heard it is not as exhilerating as the G35.

The question is do I give up a little in interior features-luxury, to have a more powerful ride and a great exterior, or do I give up a little ride performance to have the more refined interior of the TL.....I still don't have the answer.

Old 01-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
The question is do I give up a little in interior features-luxury, to have a more powerful ride and a great exterior, or do I give up a little ride performance to have the more refined interior of the TL.....I still don't have the answer.[/QUOTE]

You and ONLY you can answer that question!

Old 01-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The roar of the motor is what hooked me on the car. I didn't buy this car thinking it was a luxury car, I bought it becuase of it's sportiness. If you value luxury over sportiness then buy the TL.

Old 01-08-2005, 07:02 PM
I traded my 03 TL w/only 11K miles on my G35X. I don`t regret my (heavy) financial hit for a minute. As my wife said, the TL is a better ride, but the G35 is a much better drive. Your opinion my vary. Since you live in NJ, check out the 35X. We love it.

Old 01-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by tgrouss
The question is do I give up a little in interior features-luxury, to have a more powerful ride and a great exterior, or do I give up a little ride performance to have the more refined interior of the TL.....I still don't have the answer.
If the TL was RWD it would have been enough to push me over to my Acura dealership...

I've already had one high powered FWD car in my life and one was enough.

Old 01-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shodog
The roar of the motor is what hooked me on the car. I didn't buy this car thinking it was a luxury car, I bought it becuase of it's sportiness. If you value luxury over sportiness then buy the TL.
If I didn't know, I could swear it was a V8

Old 01-09-2005, 11:32 AM
We were out at the mall all day yesterday, which gave me many oportunities to check out these cars in the parking lot. The exterior of the Infiniti looks so sharp, and the more I look at it, the TL looks like a refined accord.

At a quick glance, the TL blends in with all the other cars, whereas when you quickly glance at the Infiniti you know it's a G35.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:19 PM
I don't undersand why people keep saying the TL interior is "more refined", "higher quality", etc. than that of the G35. Yes, it is glitzier and flashier with more gadgets. But if you actually look closely and compare the materials used and how they are put together the G35 is a lot better. I have a 2003.5 G35 and I like the interior and have had no problems with it. My friend has a newer 2004 TL. Its headliner is falling down. The CD player jammed and became inoperable. The radio doesn't work right. The paint fell off the front bumper - oh, sorry - that's not the interior. Anyway, you get the idea. Interior aside, it's still basically a FWD Accord. I would not even consider it an alternative to my RWD 6MT sedan with no torque steer.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Car & Driver compared these two, among others, and the G35 came out on top

Old 01-10-2005, 12:33 PM
TL or G35

I'm thinking about getting the G35 RWD Sedan, but am torn between that an the Acura TL. I haven't driven either, but have done extensive research on both. I like the overall looks of the G35 better I think. Is the rear seat very tight though? Thanks for any help you can give.

Also, how is the G35 in the rain.
Just buy what you like most. They are both great cars.... Maybe you should get both one for you and one for your significant other.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, how is the G35 in the rain.
After 6 days of driving in the rain, and trying to lose control on some corners (where I know no one is coming around the corner on the other side) the traction control and VDC keeps this thing glued to the floor. I feel very safe and comfortable in the rain.

Old 01-14-2005, 01:00 AM
I'm a likely buyer of an '05 5AT premium sport G35. Tonight, I drove the G and a TL back to back. My impressions are basically what's already been stated.

Some of the features on the TL, like voice recognition, bluetooth, and surround sound are very attractive, and present a very strong case. But I've come to several conclusions.
  1. I don't have a bluetooth compatible phone, so this feature is useless. And I'm not going to spend the money just because I get a new car.
  2. The surround sound requires DVD audio. Since I buy most songs off iTunes, this feature is of no value. And I won't start buying audio DVDs just because the car can play them.

The G35, with the sport suspension and RWD is fun to drive. I'm going to test drive one again for a little longer (and with a salesman that will take me serious), but I expect this will only confirm that a G35 is in my future.

Right now, I drive a Roush F150, supercharged. So tail-out driving is what I'm used to, and going back to a FWD takes some fun out of driving. And the interior of the '05 is a little nicer than previous (my dad has an '04 coupe), so it's almost on par with the TL.

BTW, there's a bunch of good stuff here. I'm sure I'll be back as an owner.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Drive the reg suspensionand the sport version. I have the reg suspension sedan and I found the suspension to be firm enough to bounce my head off the headrest at hwy speeds on various pavements. It is not a super soft suspension. If you are into hard cornering, then, go for the sport tuned.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by wckdg35
Car & Driver compared these two, among others, and the G35 came out on top
The TL tested slightly better than the 6MT G35 Sedan from an acceleration perspective. Both 0-60 mph and ¼ mi. times were slightly quicker in the TL. That surprised me.

That being said, the TL has no business being FWD. 270 hp and FWD don’t mix. I actually like the TL looks, but I just can’t get over the FWD aspect. The TL in Anthracite Metallic with the ASpec wheels looks killer IMO, but I just can’t take it as a serious sports car when it’s build on a Honda Accord platform. I predict the TL to go the same route as the RL in the near future – AWD.

The new G35 interior is improved. I also like the engine/exhaust sound coming from the G35. It’s not as good sounding as my mustang, but it’s better than I thought it would be. I can hardly wait to see what the 298hp. 6MT cars will do in the ¼ mile. At 3500 lbs. and almost 300 peak hp., the sedans should run high 13’s stock with a good launch. I’d love a 13 second family sports sedan for around $32K.