G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35x Bearing question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35x Bearing question

I'm looking for some help on my 06 G35x that has issues with the front bearings;

Can I get the bearing hub off without taking the knuckle off and using a press? The Infiniti dealer in NY says that they hammer them out,

Once you get the bearing off the car, how do you disassemble the hub and bearing.

Have you replaced the bearings and it didn't fix the problem?

Any responses would be appreciated.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most people on this forum are going to tell you to do a search but I will help out as much as possible. You can hammer the bearing out from behind the entire aluminum arm. Depending on what side you're talking, turn the wheel so the back of the tire is as far into the wheel well as possible, closest to the car itself. Well, obviously, remove the wheel, caliper and brake disc, then turn. You get it...

You'll need some tools to access the four bolts holding the bearing in... Flex sockets with an extension did the trick for my father-in-law and I.

There is one bearing bolt that you can't totally remove, because the steering knuckle is blocking you from unscrewing it the whole way. Just loosen it as much as possible. One the bearing comes out, you'll be able to hold the bearing so the bolt is far from the steering knuckle and eventually unscrew the rest to get it out.

If your's was like mine, the bearing was pretty tight in there. Seized, corrorded white residue on the ring where the bearing assembly matched up with the arm.

Anyway, I used a shop hammer and a long punch. And be careful. I almost broke my hand because I missed the punch on one shot. Not fun.

Just make sure you hit the back of the bearing in different spots as much as possibile. Top, then left side, then right, then bottom etc. Hitting one side too much will not allow the bearing to come out evenly, binding it up in the arm.

We used a press to get the hub off the old bearing and to press the new bearing onto the hub. I see no way around this. I don't even think you can buy the hub/bearing pressed together already but I could be wrong.

That's pretty much it. There is a few threads on here where everyone has taken their entire steering arm off. You really DO NOT need to do this, and risk ruining some ball joints if you don't have right tools to pull them off.

My advice... Try it as described above. If you don't succeed, take the whole arm off and press the bearing/hub out.

Best of luck to ya!

P.S. I've only done my front right so far, nothing else.

The following users liked this post:
Showdron (05-31-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 AM
Thanks

Vizkat,

Thanks for the response. Did replacing the front bearing fix your issue? My trouble is that the car has a very slight rumble in the front, it almost feels like a tire problem but I've swapped the tires around and replaced two and I still feel it. Not much noise...

Andy

Old 04-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Andy. Sorry for the late response. It definitely fixed my issue but not before I did a ridiculous amount of work trying to figure out what it was to begin with. I took the car to Infiniti first and they told me it was the tires. They specifically said the bearing was fine. So I spent almost a grand on new tires and the problem didn't change at all. It's a good thing I kept the old tires because they were fine and they will be going back on the car once the new ones go.

I was also told that the tires were the cause of the problem and that they had uneven wear due to the suspension being old. My car had around 140,000 miles on it at this point and it seemed like the right answer.

So I replaced the suspension as well, with new struts and shocks on all four corners.

Once again, sound/problem still existed.

Once I finally replaced the bearing, the car sounded perfect with no issues whatsoever, so I can definitely say it was the bearing. It was a strong humming with vibration anything over 30mph. I'm so glad it is now fixed but if you feel you're in the same boat, regardless of what the dealership or any other shop says, I'd go after getting the bearing fixed and hopefully you'll be in good shape. Good luck man.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:31 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 237 Likes on 148 Posts
2003-2006 Sedan,
on 2WD only way you can get the Bearing from Infiniti, is with the Hub attached already,
on AWD, you can get it seperately

Old 05-30-2012, 01:10 PM
How come place like napa don't have front wheel bearings for my X? They only have them for the rear wheel drive G

Old 05-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by andyo64
Vizkat,

Thanks for the response. Did replacing the front bearing fix your issue? My trouble is that the car has a very slight rumble in the front, it almost feels like a tire problem but I've swapped the tires around and replaced two and I still feel it. Not much noise...

Andy
I've had the same issue about 2 to 3 months ago.. I think it's definitely your bearing. The dealership try to tell me it was the tires but my tread was good and to just deal with the noise as long as I can, but then they quoted me new tires for over a grand. A couple months after: that I said I was getting new tires, spent 850, left with the same dang noise. A couple weeks later spent 9 sumthin for my front two bearing and hub assemblies..

Dont get stuck like me, if you an do it yourself, spend the two bills on the hub assemblies and get rid of that noise.. The G shouldn't sound like a jeep wrangler, more like a ninja with laryngitis