G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Please Help: B Pillar Rust - Dealers Keep Denying a Warranty Fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please Help: B Pillar Rust - Dealers Keep Denying a Warranty Fix

Hey,

This is my first post here. I recently was lucky enough to be given my dad's 2003 Emerald Mist G35 Sedan. I've always drooled at it's beautiful mix of luxury and performance while driving my first and last car which finally bit the dust at 192k. It's a real head turner and I love it so, so much and have already been planning tints and wheels but the real pressing issue with the car is the rust on the B pillars.

My dad kept it in immaculate condition - washing it every week by hand or going with a touchless coin-op in the winters, conditioning the leather every week, all maintenance done on schedule by the same lead technician at an Infiniti dealer (his buddy), non smoker, sun shade, no food ever in the cabin, garaged year round, no passengers etc. Despite all this care, the rust developed on the B pillars. The car ls absolutely stunning for bone stock. I am so proud and happy to be driving such an amazing car but this rust is bothering me a great deal.

I've taken it to two Infiniti dealers (Infiniti of Lisle and Infiniti of Clarendon Hills) and they both say that a 5mm perforation needs to exist but it hasn't perforated yet. The passenger side doors are both getting pretty bad with several rust blister/bubbles of varying size and the driver side doors are just starting to get bad. My build date is 08/2002 which means I have only a couple more months before I am out of warranty. I desperately need to take care of this but Infiniti dealers are just giving me the run around. One even told me that it was the purchase date that counted but was later told it was the build date to seemingly have me wait to get me out of warranty.

Could you guys please, please give me some advise as to how to approach these dealers so that they will take care of this for me while it is still under the extended warranty?

Old 05-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I just had all my doors replaced under warranty for it. If there are rust blisters, pop them so you can see the rust underneath, this way the dealer can't say anything regarding it not being visible.

The coverage of the warranty has been extended from 7 to 10 years, IIRC. So you should still be covered.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:18 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 237 Likes on 148 Posts
well, the warranty period, starts from the IN SERVICE date, which is the original purchase date, so that's when you need to have your car warranty work done by so even though you have a production date of 8/2002 your extended warranty probably is a little longer than August cause I doubt the car was bought soon as it was made....

Old 05-28-2012, 03:19 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 237 Likes on 148 Posts
Take your dad there, not saying they are treating you different, but it's possible, they aren't taking you seriously,

Old 05-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Some pics would be nice.

If the rust is coming up UNDER The paint, then it should be covered. (don't pop the blisters, that way they can say it was a surface scratch that did it. (not covered)

Old 05-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
what kind of warranty are you guys talking about here??

Old 05-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
There is a separate body "rust through" warranty.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2003 g35, purchased new in May 2003. Two years ago, Infiniti replaced my left rear door because of rust on the b pillar. The rust started from the inside (underneath the rubber seal) and broke through the exterior black gloss b pillar. I am in possession of the warranty extension to 10 years for door panel rust perforation, which means I have until May 2013 for this coverage. Currently, I have the exact same situation on the driver's door. One door on the passenger side has the same rust, but is just beginning to bust through the black gloss b pillar. The other door on the passenger side is currently rust free.
So far, I have hit a road block with Infiniti on my driver's door situation. My dealership submitted pictures, but were told the claim was denied because the rust has not perforated the b pillar. I then spent time myself with Infiniti customer service, but had no luck; they said there was no perforation and directed me back to my dealership. I am currently waiting for my dealership to get back to me. It would appear something has changed in how Infiniti is handling these door panel rust situations because my current problem is exactly the same as two years ago when my driver's side rear door panel was replaced.

The issue seems to clearly rest on the definition of 'perforation'. Neither my manual or the extended door panel rust warranty announcement defines 'perforation'. In my view, my b panel has been 'perforated' by rust because the rust has worked its way from the inside and busted through the exterior black gloss b panel. Please comment on the definition of 'perforation'.

It is clear Infiniti knew this rust problem existed because the door panel rust perforation warranty extension to 10 years is dated June 2006 and covers 2003-2005 G35s. So, the warranty extension was published when the subject cars were only 1-3 years old. Infiniti had obviously discovered a problem in its manufacturing process. Does anybody have insight into the history of this warranty situation?

Thank you.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B pillar rust

This is a valid warranty issue and should be covered by the manufacturer if your g35 is still within the 10 year extended corrosion (perforation) warranty. Perforation is defined in your warranty manual as "perforation is a condition in which any body sheet metal panel has corroded from one surface to another." If this is your situation, as is mine, we should get new door panels; the perforation is not a treatable condition (ie; if repaired, rust perforation will come back again because of where the rust is located--in the seams and weld areas of the b panel.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't waste time with the dealer when you are getting the run around. Contact Infiniti and tell them your rust problem and the run around you got from the dealer before your warranty is over. Like someone mentioned earlier, the warranty began the date your dad bought the car. It's alwys this way, no matter who makes the car.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Is this for a extended warranty his dad purchased or all G35s have this warranty even if the powertrain warranty is out of date?

Old 12-14-2012, 06:33 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Rust warranty is completely separate from powertrain or extended warranties.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a heads up, got my car back from the body shop, Infiniti did replace all 4 door panels since they were having the rust issue. It's even the guy I was emailing with that made me notice I had rust on my rear doors, haven't noticed it myself.

Thumbs up for a company that cares about his image !!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
word, i need to get my doors replaced too it looks like shyt...

Old 01-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mee too