G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Stiff/Rough Ride

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 06:54 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would try replacing the wheel bearing where you hear the noise is coming from. These car are hard to diagnose a bad wheel bearing. I have heard of people jacking up the car and see if there is play in the wheel and there be no play but the wheel bearing was bad so I would replace the wheel bearing to see if thats the problem and if your car is not all wheel drive the front wheel bearing is not that hard to replace.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
have you checked the tire pressure? should be in the 32 psi range...

and yes.. G35 suspension is a bit more harsh than average sedan suspensions...

Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
It's really tough to say as there are so many factors that go into objectively trying to define a rough ride.

I think my 2004.5 sedan rides rough, but I always have passengers that compliment me on how smooth and tight the ride feels. Very subjective I guess.

The spring rates on the Sport model 1st generation G35 sedans are similar, if not identical to the revised 350Z spring rates for similar years (Zs are known well for their kidney damaging rides ;-). In addition, if you still have the red struts/shocks, then these are the higher performance products which were OEM's by I believe KYB to provide the necessary dampening for the increased spring rates.

You should try finding a non-sport model and driving it. These are much more suited to traditional sedans ride compliance (but still not as vague as say a Toyota product).

In addition, low end tires seem to exaggerate the more 'tuned' ride of the Sport model. I run Kumho ECSTA 4X tires and while these are nice handling tires, they ride a little rougher than the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires they replaced (i.e. different sidewall construction). I also run a wider 225 tire (vs. stock), which may also contribute to the perceived ride quality.

One thing I do recommend to almost everyone with a 1st gen sedan is to check your compression rod bushings. I have had these replaced 3 times in 7 years and each time I am amazed by how much better the car feels from a ride/handling perspective.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Old 09-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gyroslice
the problem is truly frustrating. I've had two separate shops examine the shocks, tires and wheel assembly (there was a significant noise coming from the front right side which sounded like the wheel assembly going out) but each time they've come back, "we can't find a problem". I know there is something out of whack because in every other car I drive not super aware of the texture of the road like I am in my car.

Sounds like compression rod bushings or ball joints. Maybe lower control arm too?