G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clutch Question

The majority of my personal vehicles have had a manual transmission. I've had the G35 now for about six months and still take off all jerky 60% of the time. I've done some research, but it is coming up that the 'stock G clutch setup sucks'.

How/why does it suck? Is my clutch on its way out at 75,000 miles?

Basically the feel of mine when letting out the clutch is that there is nothing, nothing, nothing, then BAM! the last 10% of the pedal just loads up a ton of friction and lurches the car forward (1,500 rpm is where I try to engage). I don't seem to have the problem if I drive it hard.

If that's typical, then fine, I'll adjust eventually. I probably have a quarter million miles driving various manuals and the transition from one vehicle to another has never been this 'difficult' to be smooth.

Thoughts?

Old 10-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by cmurphy84
The majority of my personal vehicles have had a manual transmission. I've had the G35 now for about six months and still take off all jerky 60% of the time. I've done some research, but it is coming up that the 'stock G clutch setup sucks'.

How/why does it suck? Is my clutch on its way out at 75,000 miles?

Basically the feel of mine when letting out the clutch is that there is nothing, nothing, nothing, then BAM! the last 10% of the pedal just loads up a ton of friction and lurches the car forward (1,500 rpm is where I try to engage). I don't seem to have the problem if I drive it hard.

If that's typical, then fine, I'll adjust eventually. I probably have a quarter million miles driving various manuals and the transition from one vehicle to another has never been this 'difficult' to be smooth.

Thoughts?
I have an AT sedan however I had the same issue in my MT maxima. I fixed my engagement point for the clutch by adjusting the pedal to make it engage sooner. This pretty much fixed the issue but I'm a jerky MT driver as it is....hope that helps!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Oh btw, you live in KY so we could trade?!?!?!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
RJM clutch pedal bracket
Read how to drive a stick thread
mods close this thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
RJM clutch pedal bracket
mods close this thread
I did read that thread. At least the first few pages.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Nice..you are on the right track!

Old 10-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI I 40 years old and must say these cars have the worst clutch i have ever driven. The one thing that has help me get much smoother with it was to put the seat back farther then I am use to.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I've owned nothing but manual cars and this is also the worst clutch system I've owned. I installed the RJM pedal and now I can more precisely feel the slop behind the firewall. I'm guessing the main problem has to do with the master or slave cylinder. I keep the clutch fluid fresh using a real flush (not the Ranger method). The problem existed when the car was new and seems to get slightly worse with age. The clutch itself still grabs with 73k miles.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Adro
Oh btw, you live in KY so we could trade?!?!?!
Let me think about it....um....no.

I have quite a bit of family in Lexington but I live about 2.5 to 3 hours away from there.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The best way I found out for "smooth" take offs and shifting was to drive it hard, just like this car is meant to give it a ride each red light

Old 10-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Adro
I have an AT sedan however I had the same issue in my MT maxima. I fixed my engagement point for the clutch by adjusting the pedal to make it engage sooner. This pretty much fixed the issue but I'm a jerky MT driver as it is....hope that helps!
If you had trouble with the buttery soft Maxima clutch, you made the right choice abandoning the whole thing and going to an Auto,

Originally Posted by AARONHL
RJM clutch pedal bracket
mods close this thread

x2

Old 10-21-2012, 06:07 PM
I was going to do that Pedal Modification/purchase one, but I've actually gotten used to, and absolutely love my clutch.

Every once in a while I stall it, it happens maybe once per month when I'm absent minded or manouvering oddly, it's embarassing, but anyone who has driven one of these cars knows once a month is pretty darn good, lol.

Try a Lightweight Fidanza FW and stage 1 clutch Makes things oh-so much more interesting, and I fkking love it.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I've been playing around with RPM and found that in typical city driving I try to engage the clutch just under 1,000 RPM seems to work well. I'm not leaving the lights like the bat-out-of-hell mini-van mom next to me, but I have no need to. When I want to play, I just let it eat.

The following users liked this post:
TunerMax (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM
^That's where I found the 'sweet spot' too, 1000 RPM seems jsut about perfect!

I think the trickiest thing about it is DON'T try to drive it smooth, because there's not enough engagement. Most cars you smooth the engagement with the CLUTCH, in the G though, you need to do it with the THROTTLE. Once you feel the engagement point let off the clutch and push through the Throttle

Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TunerMax
I think the trickiest thing about it is DON'T try to drive it smooth, because there's not enough engagement. Most cars you smooth the engagement with the CLUTCH, in the G though, you need to do it with the THROTTLE. Once you feel the engagement point let off the clutch and push through the Throttle
Couldnt have said it better myself. The G has a very heavy truck like stock flywheel. Most MT cars you can let off the clutch and itll go. You cant with the G. You need to ride the clutch a little from a stop to get that perfect smooth take off.

Youll get use to it. I did the pedal adjustment and didnt like it. Clutch felt like either on or off, no in-between. Just stick to the stock height and get use to how much u need to ride the clutch to get a smooth take off without burning it up.

ALSO, check your fluids. I recently did a flushed on my brakes and clutch and the results were VERY noticeable.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch Question