G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Rear Suspension Sagging, Riding Low

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Suspension Sagging, Riding Low

Hello all, i'm brand new to this forum, not new to forums in General. I have tried search, also check the stickies, can't seem to get an answer that way, so i'm posting up now. Just bought my 2004 infiniti G35 Sedan about 5 months ago. I bought it with coupe wheels on it, with some huge tires, it must have been from the SUV or something. Anyway, i just bought brand new tires, 245/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza's on all 4 corners. I had always noticed the car seemed to sag a little in the rear, but had seen other sedans looking like the had a similar ride height. Keep in mind i have 119,000 miles, car has been very well taken car of though. So obviously slightly smaller tires took the car's ride height down slightly. Well i just took a 1600 mile round trip from Tennessee to North Carolina and just about every transition from road to a bridge, that little dip was enough for my exhaust to scrape on the road every single time. Seemingly the rear end bounce is a bit much, i'm assuming rear shocks are toast. I know a lot about cars, mostly owned GM vehicle, usually GM Trucks. This is my first time owning a Nissan/Infiniti car, but i absolutely love them. Anyway, the little research i've done a lot off guys like to put is coils or different suspension components from 350Z's or Coupe's. I've seen pics of guys Sedan's with different suspension mods and they have such a similar stance as mine. I'm thinking i should get this car on a lift and possibly write down part number of my coils, shocks, etc... and see what i have in here. I'm assuming everything is stock, but you know what they say about ASSUMING! My parents are in town, and with all the weight in the car, and a full tank of gas, i'm pretty much scraping everywhere i go. Is it just the shocks worn out? Possibly stock/original shocks on the car. Can the coils wear out? I'm not too familiar with the rear suspension setup on these cars, the lower control arm in the rear is very abnormal, looks like a coil bucket, ANYWAY. I like the stance of the car, i'll post pics, or get my signature updated. But if you put any weight in this car besides myself it will scrape, but on the freeway it doesn't bounce out of control, so idk. Any help would be really appreciated.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverSedan35
Hello all, i'm brand new to this forum, not new to forums in General. I have tried search, also check the stickies, can't seem to get an answer that way, so i'm posting up now. Just bought my 2004 infiniti G35 Sedan about 5 months ago. I bought it with coupe wheels on it, with some huge tires, it must have been from the SUV or something. Anyway, i just bought brand new tires, 245/45R18 Bridgestone Potenza's on all 4 corners. I had always noticed the car seemed to sag a little in the rear, but had seen other sedans looking like the had a similar ride height. Keep in mind i have 119,000 miles, car has been very well taken car of though. So obviously slightly smaller tires took the car's ride height down slightly. Well i just took a 1600 mile round trip from Tennessee to North Carolina and just about every transition from road to a bridge, that little dip was enough for my exhaust to scrape on the road every single time. Seemingly the rear end bounce is a bit much, i'm assuming rear shocks are toast. I know a lot about cars, mostly owned GM vehicle, usually GM Trucks. This is my first time owning a Nissan/Infiniti car, but i absolutely love them. Anyway, the little research i've done a lot off guys like to put is coils or different suspension components from 350Z's or Coupe's. I've seen pics of guys Sedan's with different suspension mods and they have such a similar stance as mine. I'm thinking i should get this car on a lift and possibly write down part number of my coils, shocks, etc... and see what i have in here. I'm assuming everything is stock, but you know what they say about ASSUMING! My parents are in town, and with all the weight in the car, and a full tank of gas, i'm pretty much scraping everywhere i go. Is it just the shocks worn out? Possibly stock/original shocks on the car. Can the coils wear out? I'm not too familiar with the rear suspension setup on these cars, the lower control arm in the rear is very abnormal, looks like a coil bucket, ANYWAY. I like the stance of the car, i'll post pics, or get my signature updated. But if you put any weight in this car besides myself it will scrape, but on the freeway it doesn't bounce out of control, so idk. Any help would be really appreciated.

At 120k miles your shocks will be worn out, replace them with tokicos or the dspecs and get some lowering springs, or just get coils

The following users liked this post:
AARONHL (12-22-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
SHOCKS are what's needed! From what you describe this sedan must have a ride like a roller coaster. Check our out MARKETPLACE under vendor suspension for a new set, great prices and quick delivery. I'm using Tokico D-Techs and love em....Gary

Old 12-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by VisualSeven
At 120k miles your shocks will be worn out, replace them with tokicos or the dspecs and get some lowering springs, or just get coils
Thank you for your quick response, I appreciate the help. Obviously the shocks are bad, just wanted to confirm that. So why go with lowering springs? With new shocks will my ride height increse?

Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
SHOCKS are what's needed! From what you describe this sedan must have a ride like a roller coaster. Check our out MARKETPLACE under vendor suspension for a new set, great prices and quick delivery. I'm using Tokico D-Techs and love em....Gary
See it doesn't ride like a roller coaster normally, just when i hit a small dip it bottoms out, but it recovers quickly, doesn't bob up and down like the shocks are COMPLETELY worn out. But i do think it's just straight up shocks. So i shoudln't go with Autozone shocks? Definitely hit up a vendor?

Old 12-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Where in Tennessee are you located? I have a pair of nearly new oem rear struts

Old 12-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Clarksville, I'm stationed at Fort Campbell. But i'm heading to Nashville tomorrow.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Thank you for your quick response, I appreciate the help. Obviously the shocks are bad, just wanted to confirm that. So why go with lowering springs? With new shocks will my ride height increse?
im not sure what plans you have for the car, but i said lowering springs if you are looking to lower the car, because if you just get OEM replacement and then want to lower the car those shocks will blow even sooner so not worth it, so go out and buy a Aftermarket set. Just do it once.

Also if your shocks are blown your car will sit lower, if you get new shocks depending on how bad your old ones were, your height will increase.

I think Tokico HP (blue) Shocks or D-Spec shocks to allow you to change the dampening levels but also more pricey.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm off work tomorrow if you want them for maybe $50 they're yours and I can show you how to install them if you don't know how

Old 12-22-2012, 02:56 PM
im not sure what plans you have for the car, but i said lowering springs if you are looking to lower the car, because if you just get OEM replacement and then want to lower the car those shocks will blow even sooner so not worth it, so go out and buy a Aftermarket set. Just do it once.

Also if your shocks are blown your car will sit lower, if you get new shocks depending on how bad your old ones were, your height will increase.

I think Tokico HP (blue) Shocks or D-Spec shocks to allow you to change the dampening levels but also more pricey.
Gotcha, okay thank you. I like how it sits, but i can tell its a tad low in the rear. I think i'll go with oem shocks for now and spend the money on good aftermarket shocks later.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by KrazySouthG35
I'm off work tomorrow if you want them for maybe $50 they're yours and I can show you how to install them if you don't know how
If you are close the two areas i mentioned that sounds good to me. We can further discuss it in PM's. If the shocks are in good shape, not too much mileage i'll take them, if they have a lot of mileage i'll just buy some new ones.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Whoops i meant to say
"I think you should go with Tokico HP (blue) Shocks or the D-Spec shocks to allow you to change the dampening levels but also more pricey."

Well if you are not planning on doing any mods to your car then just get OEM

Old 12-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Not mods in the works any time soon, i'd rather put the money into a z or a coupe. Just got the Sedan because i have a child, and i can still have my fast infiniti but still have a sedan for the kid.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Not mods in the works any time soon, i'd rather put the money into a z or a coupe. Just got the Sedan because i have a child, and i can still have my fast infiniti but still have a sedan for the kid.
Oh alright, i didn't know you had a Z and a G Coupe

Old 12-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Oh alright, i didn't know you had a Z and a G Coupe
yah i'm not rich