G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

I-key will Lock/Unlock but Will Not Start Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I-key will Lock/Unlock but Will Not Start Car

Hey guys,

This morning I walked out to the car to go to work and I was able to use the I-key to unlock my car (2006 G35 Sedan). When I got in I tried turning on the ignition but I had the red key light indicating that I did not have the key on me. I took the fob out of my pocket and tried moving it around to see If I could get it to respond and no luck. I can unlock/lock it with the fob but when i try to turn on the ignition I get the red key light for a no-key indication.

Any one else ever have this problem? Does it need reprogramming? I've had the car since 2006 and this is a first.

I also changed the battery in the remote and retried. No-go.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
If you can lock/unlock your doors and open your trunk using the buttons on the car (not on the fob) then your iKey is recognized and it's not a "registration" problem.

Have you done any work behind the dash? There are two antennas in the cabin (pics below), maybe they've become disconnected or failed somehow?

If the outside buttons don't work but the fob buttons do, then I'm not sure what's going on. There are several fuses involved but I don't think the system is split like that.

Attached Thumbnails I-key will Lock/Unlock but Will Not Start Car-ikeyparts.png   I-key will Lock/Unlock but Will Not Start Car-ikeyantenna.jpg   I-key will Lock/Unlock but Will Not Start Car-ikeyantenna2.jpg  
Old 07-16-2013, 12:37 AM
I can unlock/lock the car with the buttons on my Fob, but when I get in I get the red light indicator showing that the fob is "missing" and I can't turn on the ignition. All the buttons on the fob work. Just getting in and starting it does not.

The outside buttons do not work. Only the buttons on the Fob.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:28 AM
OK so your fob is working as a transmitter but not working as a "responder" when the car is looking for it. I suppose it could be the fob itself has partially failed. Do you have a 2nd fob you could try to see if you get the same result?

I didn't think the "transmit" and "respond" systems were able to work independently. The manual shows both communicating with the "Intelligent Key Unit" (black box) and then the BCM. I figured if the fob worked at all then both systems would, but I guess not.

There are several fuses involved. Below are the ones to check. Beyond this maybe a trip to the dealer to help diagnose the weirdness?

Attached Thumbnails I-key will Lock/Unlock but Will Not Start Car-fusesinvolved.jpg  
Old 07-16-2013, 02:00 AM
I will check the fuses in the morning. I actually lost my 2nd fob a week ago because it was attached to my motorcycle key and flew off a weak key ring

I got another from eBay on the way. I'll need to get it programmed but I wanted to figure this out before I did.

Thanks for the info. I'll check those fuses and I'll let you know what I get.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:01 PM
acr
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Interesting about the interior intennas... I've actually locked my keys in the car before, when I shouldn't be able to since the I-Key is inside. Do these interior antennas fail or get worse with age?

Old 07-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm having this issue as well. Except my buttons on the key fob quit working entirely, and I have to use the manual key to get in. Do I need to get a new key fob or get it reprogrammed, or battery?

Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Ug. The worst part about losing a fob is you lose the physical key inside... PITA. Was that your "regular" fob and this is the backup that's acting weird? When you bring the replacement in for programming you could ask them to troubleshoot this situation. Maybe it is just a registration thing.

Yeah, you're not supposed to be able to lock the iKey in the car, or the trunk (a good party trick) but there are a couple places in the interior which are not covered by the inside antennas. Book says:
The above function operates when the Intelligent Key is inside the vehicle. However, there may be times when the Intelligent Key cannot be detected, and this function will not operate when the Intelligent Key is on the instrument panel, rear parcel shelf, or in the glove box. Also, this system sometimes does not operate if the Intelligent Key is in the door pocket for the open door.
I don't think the antennas "go bad" but if for instance you've had the dash apart installing a new audio system you could accidentally disconnect that front one.

EKris, you can't unlock the car with the fob buttons but you can start the car without using the physical key once you're inside?

Old 07-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I have to actually use the physical key in it now. Which is a PITA itself because I have to jiggle it around and insert and reinsert the key sometimes for it to work. Two weeks ago I couldn't use the buttons on the key fob, but sometimes still able to start the car without using the physical key, but now I have to use the key every time. Battery is out I'm guessing?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Probably. If you can start the car again without the physical key, watch the key symbol on the dash (bottom pic below). If it blinks (green) for 30 seconds it's telling you the fob needs a new battery. Here's how you change it:

Attached Thumbnails I-key will Lock/Unlock but Will Not Start Car-batteryswap.jpg  
Attached Images