G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Trip Odometer Wont Reset - 2005 G35 Sedan Auto Trans

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Odometer Wont Reset - 2005 G35 Sedan Auto Trans

First time posting, although I have lurked for a while. Hoping that I'm posting in the correct forum.

I have a recently acquired G35 Sedan, 2005, Automatic Trans.The Trip Odometer won't seem to reset when pushing the black button behind the steering wheel. Also won't cycle from Trip A to Trip B. It is looking like perhaps the button/switch is bad, (I hope not), but I'm hoping that there is some reboot/reset trick to get this to work.

Thanks for the assistance.....

Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
That's a weird thing to fail. That switch has many hidden functions (which I didn't know about until I looked it up just now) including changing the shift-up engine speed (!!) and putting the entire "Combination Meter" into self-diagnosis mode. You can grab your service manuals here:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2005_G35_Sedan/
Start with the one marked "di" for "Driver Information System" and check out the ODO/Trip Meter section.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by 05_SkylineSedan
That's a weird thing to fail. That switch has many hidden functions (which I didn't know about until I looked it up just now) including changing the shift-up engine speed (!!) and putting the entire "Combination Meter" into self-diagnosis mode. You can grab your service manuals here:
Start with the one marked "di" for "Driver Information System" and check out the ODO/Trip Meter section.
Thanks for the link, this looks like a great resource.

I attempted to enter the 'diagnostic mode', but it didn't activate. I'm going to try to remove the fuses that power the Combination Meter, and see if that reboots/resets the meter system.

Again, thanks for the info....

Old 07-30-2013, 07:36 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Can you explain where yuo found this or how to do it? I looked in the di section of the 05 sedan fsm and didn't see any information related to the process.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Sorry, my bad. I was looking at was page 6 of that manual but now I realize they're talking about setting the engine speed at which the "shift-up indicator" flashes - on a manual trans... Never mind...

Old 07-31-2013, 02:31 AM
Originally Posted by steveobud
Thanks for the link, this looks like a great resource.

I attempted to enter the 'diagnostic mode', but it didn't activate. I'm going to try to remove the fuses that power the Combination Meter, and see if that reboots/resets the meter system.

Again, thanks for the info....
Tried removing the fuses that feed the Combination Meter. It appears that the unit is stuck in the diagnostic mode, and it may not be responding when I press the odometer reset button.

Hmmmmm.....

Old 07-31-2013, 02:34 PM
That's not good. I don't think the instrument cluster is meant to be "serviceable" although there may be some folks here who have busted it open to change the bulb or LED colors? So maybe there is a way to get to that internal switch but I'm afraid it's a can of worms.

Did you buy from a dealer or private party? Might be a dealer question, especially if it's stuck in diagnostics mode. Can you even drive the car that way? Yikes!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:22 AM
That's not good. I don't think the instrument cluster is meant to be "serviceable" although there may be some folks here who have busted it open to change the bulb or LED colors? So maybe there is a way to get to that internal switch but I'm afraid it's a can of worms.

Did you buy from a dealer or private party? Might be a dealer question, especially if it's stuck in diagnostics mode. Can you even drive the car that way? Yikes!
So, I disconnected the battery overnight. The trip odometer condition still persists. When I turn the car on normally, I get the normal warning lights etc., The trip odometer remains on 'Trip A', reads all zeros, and it is unresponsive to any button presses.

When I attempt to invoke the Combination Meter diagnostics mode, I perform the procedure as follows:

Ignition off. While pressing the odometer button, turn ignition to the 'on' position'. Release the button, then press it three times.

Interesting thing is, that the trip odometer briefly flashes the actual stored 'Trip A' mileage value, then returns to all zeros. The odometer is unresponsive to subsequent button presses.

When I've interrupted power to the combination meter, the trip odometer mileage resets to zero. The combination meter does not seem to fully enter the diagnostics mode, (i.e. the LED segments don't light up, etc.).

I believe that somehow, the trip odometer function of the combination meter needs to be 'rebooted', but I'm not sure how that can be accomplished, beyond what I've already tried, i.e. complete removal of power, and trying to invoke the combination meter diagnostic mode.

Thoughts?

Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Yeah, weird behavior. If things don't "reset" after being powered down overnight then I doubt any other operation would do it. My guess - only a guess - is that the actual physical switch that is operated by pressing that shaft-type button is either broken, disconnected from the circuit board, or stuck "on" as if it is being pressed continuously. If that's not the case then there may be a logic error happening in the Combo Meter, a black box computer processing type of error. Either way your options are limited.

If you can live without the trip ODO then do that!

Otherwise it's:
A. Tear your combo meter apart and try to get to that switch (lots of work with an unclear outcome - might even bust the unit in the process),
B. Take it to the dealer and see if they have a clue. If they say you need to replace the entire unit then...
C. Buy a used or new Combo Meter and replace the whole thing (expensive, resets total ODO mileage)

I'm out of ideas, sorry.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Yeah, weird behavior. If things don't "reset" after being powered down overnight then I doubt any other operation would do it. My guess - only a guess - is that the actual physical switch that is operated by pressing that shaft-type button is either broken, disconnected from the circuit board, or stuck "on" as if it is being pressed continuously. If that's not the case then there may be a logic error happening in the Combo Meter, a black box computer processing type of error. Either way your options are limited.

If you can live without the trip ODO then do that!

Otherwise it's:
A. Tear your combo meter apart and try to get to that switch (lots of work with an unclear outcome - might even bust the unit in the process),
B. Take it to the dealer and see if they have a clue. If they say you need to replace the entire unit then...
C. Buy a used or new Combo Meter and replace the whole thing (expensive, resets total ODO mileage)

I'm out of ideas, sorry.
I'm afraid that you are correct. The more I observe how it is not working, I think that I was mistaken about the combo meter being responsive to any button presses of the odometer switch. So, it must be a physical or electronic issue with the switch.

I don't like the options of tearing my dash apart, I'd probably do more harm than good, with either a slim chance of correcting the problem, or breaking something in the process, or costing a lot of money.... so I'll just use the trip odometer function of my Garmin, and get over being bugged by the fact that something is not working correctly...

Thanks for the advice.....