G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

5AT sometimes SUCKS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calejohnson
I noticed this lag but don't notice it much now. I've changed the way I apply pressure to the throttle. I don't know if it is in the ATs algorithm, but the car seems to respond to stabbing at the throttle with a hesitation. On the other hand, by gradually increasing pressure on the throttle in a deliberate fashion gets the car underway in a hurry. It feels as though I don't need to floor it to get WOT.

Remember, this car it 'drive by wire" and has a software link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body. It's possible that Nissan put in a "safety" to reduce the potential for unintentional acceleration. Of course, it could also be a glitch.

Either way, I found that adapting to the nature of the system saves me from going crazy for 2-3 seconds.

I agree that steady pressure on the throttle eliminates the lag. But , sometimes yoy need or want that WOT. There should not be any lag. That is dangerous.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmmm, this has shown to be a common occurence in the Infiniti AT tranny. I called customer service about it and they told me the fix was to BUY A FRIGGIN MT, PEOPLE!

Sorry, had to push the button while it was so prominently exposed

Love you guys, hate AT

Old 02-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
As shooter stated "when is the last time you did a 12 hour ECU reset?"

Could it be that his car is use to his everyday lax driving style and when asked to "impress his friends" the G just farts and gives him a look, then responses to the request for more power?

I get the lag from time to time but most of the time it acts like "The Silver Bullet" (only its a Pearl White version )

Old 02-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by G35papa
As shooter stated "when is the last time you did a 12 hour ECU reset?"

Could it be that his car is use to his everyday lax driving style and when asked to "impress his friends" the G just farts and gives him a look, then responses to the request for more power?

I get the lag from time to time but most of the time it acts like "The Silver Bullet" (only its a Pearl White version )

No problems here. When I drop the hammer, it accelerates immediately. Then hear a big BOOM behind me. It's the sound barrier, as I go passed Mach 1

Old 02-07-2005, 12:56 PM
You may want to invest a few bucks into GordGee's 10-wire Grounding Gear system!!!

Old 02-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bsgoren
You may want to invest a few bucks into GordGee's 10-wire Grounding Gear system!!!
I have his 10 wire, and I still have the lag when in "D". When shifting manually there is no lag and the shifts (especially 1-2 and 2-3) are very firm and fast.

Old 02-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Interesting...I have never noticed this "lag" in my 05. I'm always exteremely impressed with the throw-you-to-the-back-of-the-seat launch. Of course, I've only had about 400 miles ince break-in period to really run the G. Regardless, I haven't experienced this issue yet and surely hope not to.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Ive never been in any automatic that didnt do this.... thats why I got the MT.

Old 02-07-2005, 03:56 PM
It's easy guys. Mine does it and when I reset the ECU it does not. The ground may help the tranny smoothness overall but will not take the lag away. RESET RESET RESET. It works like a charm.

Old 02-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by MiamiG35sedan
I have his 10 wire, and I still have the lag when in "D". When shifting manually there is no lag and the shifts (especially 1-2 and 2-3) are very firm and fast.
I wouldn't know...I always drive in MM mode , unless I need to do a few things at the same time, then I flip into "D" for a minute or two. I believe that most Auto's will have a delay when you punch it (while cruising) and it downshifts; it takes a second or so for it to actually downshift and go, go go! Other than that, I haven't noticed anything unusual, but again, I drive in MM mode 99% of the time.

Last edited by bsgoren; 02-07-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:13 PM
SixFive, R u talking about the ECU reset through the gas pedal method?
I have done it about 6 months ago but not sure if it fixed it as I was not concerned about it then.

I will try the gas pedal method and see if the response is better.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by iafzal
SixFive, R u talking about the ECU reset through the gas pedal method?
I have done it about 6 months ago but not sure if it fixed it as I was not concerned about it then.

I will try the gas pedal method and see if the response is better.
You can always disconnect the negative battery terminal overnight to reset the ECU; so you just have to reset the memory buttons on your radio and adjust your clock...big deal.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I tested my 03 sedan tonight a few times from a 20-30mph roll and going WOT. Depending on MPH, the tranny would drop to 1st or 2nd and take off when I went WOT.

This lag you guys are talking about is just the nature of an automatic. When you push on the gas, especially at WOT, the engine vacuum goes to zero and the tranny reads the vacuum and then will downshift. Todays smarter electronic trannies soften the downshift by giving a little slippage before engaging the gear. If you go WOT and then let off aburptly, it's possible to get the rpms to shoot up and not increase the speed.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usually when I just need a little more speed and jab the throttle, the car slowly accelerates.. then decides to downshift right when I'm already there and let go of the throttle, causing it to then upshift and really lurch the car.

Of course, I had a '92 Accord that did the same thing.

Didn't have that problem with the '86 Accord before that.. but then, it was a 5-speed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5AT sometimes SUCKS