G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

5AT sometimes SUCKS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5AT sometimes SUCKS

I have this issue that I think many of you might have experienced too.
The other day cruising around 20-30mph I punched the pedal to accelerate so I can catch up a light that was about change. The rpm in a flash rose to 4000rpm without any torque prdouced just like you would if the car is in neutral. I was a little surprised so I ended up taking my foot off the pedal and then slowly accelerate.

A number of times I have similar experiece... if you try to accelrate to fast torque converter really does not engage unless you do it slowly. I heard that this is by design but I wish that there is a way to be able to disable or reduce the lag. I love the 5AT but it SUCKS in this regards.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Hmmmm.. whenever I do that.. the G hauls butt.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
...never experienced that. That would annoy the crap out of me.

G

Old 02-05-2005, 10:37 PM
I have noticed when you go to WOT while cruising that the RPM's will rise for a short period of time without a shift then the tranny downshifts and it's like a rocketship. However, the 1 or 2 second lag is noticeable and mildly annoying particularly when merging.
Don't know if that is what you experienced or not.

Pags

Old 02-05-2005, 11:06 PM
yeah i experience it all the time

Old 02-05-2005, 11:12 PM
It's not the critic......
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when is the last time you did a 12 hour ECU reset?

Old 02-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by iafzal
I have this issue that I think many of you might have experienced too.
The other day cruising around 20-30mph I punched the pedal to accelerate so I can catch up a light that was about change. The rpm in a flash rose to 4000rpm without any torque prdouced just like you would if the car is in neutral. I was a little surprised so I ended up taking my foot off the pedal and then slowly accelerate.

A number of times I have similar experiece... if you try to accelrate to fast torque converter really does not engage unless you do it slowly. I heard that this is by design but I wish that there is a way to be able to disable or reduce the lag. I love the 5AT but it SUCKS in this regards.
I have experienced a slight lag on occassion, but, she usually launches like a bullet...a silver bullet as a matter of fact. And, I call my G SILVER BULLET!

Old 02-06-2005, 02:11 AM
it always happen

Old 02-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Yes guys I am in short talking about the lag. I have noticed it usually around a second or so when I try WOT. Although that time it was maybe 2-3 seconds. You know that much time is an eternity if you are trying to merge or make a quick pass. I just leaves a bad taste in your mouth as otherwise that car acceleration is awsome once it kicks in.
Another time I was trying to impress someone with how fast G is so on and it happened when I tried to qucikly acc. by punching the gas and G revs like crazy for a about 2 seconds and don't go anywhere. I was embarrased instead

Old 02-06-2005, 03:03 PM
I noticed this lag but don't notice it much now. I've changed the way I apply pressure to the throttle. I don't know if it is in the ATs algorithm, but the car seems to respond to stabbing at the throttle with a hesitation. On the other hand, by gradually increasing pressure on the throttle in a deliberate fashion gets the car underway in a hurry. It feels as though I don't need to floor it to get WOT.

Remember, this car it 'drive by wire" and has a software link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body. It's possible that Nissan put in a "safety" to reduce the potential for unintentional acceleration. Of course, it could also be a glitch.

Either way, I found that adapting to the nature of the system saves me from going crazy for 2-3 seconds.

Old 02-06-2005, 04:00 PM
The lag does get annoying. i get it in both automatic and manumatic. From what I hear the grounding kit is supposed to fix that.

Anybody out there with the 10 wire grounding kit think that the lag goes away with the kit?

Old 02-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by calejohnson
I noticed this lag but don't notice it much now. I've changed the way I apply pressure to the throttle. I don't know if it is in the ATs algorithm, but the car seems to respond to stabbing at the throttle with a hesitation. On the other hand, by gradually increasing pressure on the throttle in a deliberate fashion gets the car underway in a hurry.
Hmm. Will have to try and apply the leadfoot a little slower and see how that works.

Pags

Old 02-06-2005, 04:59 PM
my 98 maxima does that also. it started doing it at about 90k miles on the tranny. Just as described by everyone else. maybe its a nissan thing. as per a saftey feature i know my tranny will lock in third if there is excessive tire spin to prevent damage to the tranny. but if ur cruizin and trying to merge onto a hwy. having that lag is not good. other than this occasional prob ive changed the tranny fluid three times already and it doesnt slip.

Old 02-06-2005, 05:15 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jadaway2
The lag does get annoying. i get it in both automatic and manumatic. From what I hear the grounding kit is supposed to fix that.

Anybody out there with the 10 wire grounding kit think that the lag goes away with the kit?
No lag on mine, although I really never just punch it to WOT. By applying
steadly increasing throttle, it takes off like a rocket ship.

Old 02-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This lag has happened to me a few times as well. I reject it is occurring as the result of a safety feature, because not getting the response you would expect when you push the peddle hard can be quite dangerous in tight merge conditions. There are other instances where the reverse would be true, but in my estimation it is more dangerous to make it so that the behavior is not consistent.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5AT sometimes SUCKS