G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

How much HP do I have???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianV
Dude calm down, he's just looking for a rough estimation in his head, I'm sure he'll disclaim that his calculation is purely speculative. There's a degree of error in every estimation. He doesn't need to pony up $60+ for a dyno if he feels confident with an estimation. There's really no point to dyno a car unless you're looking to tune A/F, timing, or other variables. The only reason would be for pure bragging rights which in turn really do nothing for you, it doesn't make your car any faster, it doesn't do anything for you, and you'll never know how much each mod contributed to the net gain.

I think what he asked is a fair question, and I think the numbers that are being spit out are within a reasonable range. Even if he gets a real dyno, he'll be measuring WHP and will be using a calculation that has an unknown degree of error to create a crank HP number. It's a flawed system to start with, what's the point in paying money to conclude a flawed system. It's clear he wants a number he can justify as crank HP so either way he's screwed. Don't act like you're some ultimate 'god' on the subject and that his value is completely worthless, it has SOME value and SOME merit, but it's certainly far from conclusive. The last sentence in your statement is the most constructive statement here. He won't be lying by stating he's making 275-285 HP as long as he and whoever he tells is aware of the calculations and estimations involved.
How many of us go around smug with the knowledge that we pack a XXX caliber pistol in our pants if we're not at least mildly interested in showing it off? (Do you get my drift? )

My point is that at some level this whole modding thing is about showing off or measuring up. If you're going to show off or measure up, why not get the most accurate measurement available?

Old 02-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by calejohnson
How many of us go around smug with the knowledge that we pack a XXX caliber pistol in our pants if we're not at least mildly interested in showing it off? (Do you get my drift? )

My point is that at some level this whole modding thing is about showing off or measuring up. If you're going to show off or measure up, why not get the most accurate measurement available?
If the reason you mods is to show off your HP gains over the factory condition then you bought the wrong car. You won't find many cars that respond less to mods than the G35; I guess it's a testament to Nissan.

I do understand what you're saying, but finding a dyno and paying for it in my eyes isn't worth knowing with more certainty how much power you're making until you get into more serious mods where the range is larger or when you get into tuning. That said, even people who do have dyno charts are constantly being called out for the valditity of the dyno place, the weather conditions, etc. At the end of the day, the only thing that means anything is, "Are you happy with your modifications?"

Old 02-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by BrianV
If the reason you mods is to show off your HP gains over the factory condition then you bought the wrong car. You won't find many cars that respond less to mods than the G35; I guess it's a testament to Nissan.

I do understand what you're saying, but finding a dyno and paying for it in my eyes isn't worth knowing with more certainty how much power you're making until you get into more serious mods where the range is larger or when you get into tuning. That said, even people who do have dyno charts are constantly being called out for the valditity of the dyno place, the weather conditions, etc. At the end of the day, the only thing that means anything is, "Are you happy with your modifications?"
I agree. A digital "butt-o-meter" in the seat might be just to thing to measure performance increases. That way you can get an up-to-the-mod reading on improvements.

I guess if the potential for performance hp increases is slight and performance gains follow a rule of diminishing returns at ever-higher expense, then those extra ponies are something to be really proud of. From what I've read, that's the case for our G's. Hence the potential for big bragging rights in the 290-300hp ranges. Drop in a $10-15k turbo/supercharger and I'd say you've paid your bragging rights dues.

Put another way, where an A-4 1.8T can get some serious performance boosts from rechipping and show 15-20% hp gains for a modest expense, we G35 owners get 7% with the mods you've listed and the potential for greater gains is now at a price point few want to consider.

7% isn’t worth much pistol props.

Old 02-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Well said cale!

Old 02-10-2005, 07:38 PM
7% increase is HUGE. 35 ponies for 1000 bucks that's cheap. Don't compare everything to a turbo which can be cranked up for gobs of power and gobs of new issues. 28 bucks per pony boys. Dont run out and buy a 1000 catback and you'll be much happier and wealthier. It's not cheap but neither is a faster car.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by SixFive
7% increase is HUGE. 35 ponies for 1000 bucks that's cheap. Don't compare everything to a turbo which can be cranked up for gobs of power and gobs of new issues. 28 bucks per pony boys. Dont run out and buy a 1000 catback and you'll be much happier and wealthier. It's not cheap but neither is a faster car.
Whoa! Now wait a minute! Where'd you come up with +35hp? If you're referring to Smcallis's post, he said that he thought his mods brought him up to 295 from a stock 271.That's 24 ponies my friend. Not bad if you can do it for a grand but I don't think you can get the extra 10 without a considerable investment.

Just my 2 cents.

I do admit to making a mistake in calculating the net gain of 25hp. Closer to 10% than 7. My bad.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:40 AM
It appears with a roughly $2,000 investment you can get a 6MT sedan to put out 245-248 WHP, getting over 250 WHP requires extreme luck or money.

That said, if the base car makes 230 WHP, than it's $2,000 for ~15 WHP which isn't that great, over $100 per HP.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Whoa! Now wait a minute! Where'd you come up with +35hp? If you're referring to Smcallis's post, he said that he thought his mods brought him up to 295 from a stock 271.That's 24 ponies my friend
Yes fine but it's a 9% increase. Not to mention I have the 5AT and he has a 6mt. 6MT's are closer to the NA limit so the mods should perform more distinctivley on the 5AT. Modded 5AT's are seem to offer the most difference so assume 30hp increase for the sake of argument plus I have the crank pulley so that could be another couple ponies. Assume 32 for the sake of argument.

Pulley 300 installed
PLenum 450 installed
10 wire kit 110 installed
My Z tube was really my G tube modified for 10 bucks by me

Total cost = 870 for even 30 hp is 29 per pony. I haven't dynoed but I will be able to compare my results on the track again at the Nissan INfiniti day in June. This is hypothetical but based on what I have seen this is supportable for a 5AT. If I seem optimistic it's only becuase my car is dream compared to stock and I've seen slower Z cars that weigh less on teh same day same track.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:40 AM
smcallis, do you think we are running lean? We have similar mods and different tranny's. Technosquare is next for me I think if they can say they have tested a car just like mine. Mailing the ecu in and paying that much is a reason to wait a long time, however.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Based on the results from a test Hot Z magazine did recently involving both Coupes and Sedans, there seems to be gains to be had when implementing a "series of mods".

For instance, there were (3) 5AT Sedans that put out about 263 hp on the dyno with just the following mods in common:

TS ECU Upgrade
Stillen Cat-back
Crawford Plenum
Crawford Cats
350Z Air Duct
CAI
Grounding Kit

So if I calculate for 18% or so drive loss for the AT, then take off another 10hp or so because of the type of dyno they used, doesn't this put them right at 300 crank hp ?

Doesn't seem that bad to pickup 40hp or so for well under 3k. Does it ?

I have a scan of the article if someone has a server where we can host it...

Old 02-11-2005, 12:23 PM
If they used a dynopack than I'd take off closer to 15 HP; I wish people would just use dynojets for the sake of consistency.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.