G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

A dopey question re: the steering wheel...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A dopey question re: the steering wheel...

the two bumps at 10 and 2 o'clock - should my thumbs be above or below the bumps when driving? or, is it just a matter of preference.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It depends how fast you're going and how tight you're holding on

Old 02-10-2005, 11:04 AM
I'm hardly an expert, but I believe that it's a matter of preference.

Most of the people I know drive with their hands at ten o'clock and two o'clock. I drive at nine o'clock and three o'clock, but that's just because I took a Bondurant High Performance Driving class years ago and got used to that position. (Bondurant believed in that position for more control, but I don't think that's a universal belief.)

So my thumbs are below the bumps.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by fullofivy
the two bumps at 10 and 2 o'clock - should my thumbs be above or below the bumps when driving? or, is it just a matter of preference.
I've always thought of the bumps as being like hooks, something to hang your thumbs on.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by elfg
I'm hardly an expert, but I believe that it's a matter of preference.

Most of the people I know drive with their hands at ten o'clock and two o'clock. I drive at nine o'clock and three o'clock, but that's just because I took a Bondurant High Performance Driving class years ago and got used to that position. (Bondurant believed in that position for more control, but I don't think that's a universal belief.)

So my thumbs are below the bumps.
I also heard 9 and 3 offers more control. This is the recommendation in driving schools. I find 10 and 2 to be more comfortable but do use 9 and 3 during spirited driving

Old 02-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Quote:I drive at nine o'clock and three o'clock, but that's just because I took a Bondurant High Performance Driving class years ago and got used to that position. (Bondurant believed in that position for more control, but I don't think that's a universal belief.)

I spent two days at the Panoz racing school at Road Atlanta and one of the first things they did was discuss hand position. 9 and 3 is pretty much the standard because it gives you the most control and greatest range of motion. I've since heard from other instructors that moving down a little towards 8 and 4 is recommended because of the airbag. This still gives you a balanced grip and good range of motion but unlike 10 and 2 [or higher] you don't run as much risk of having your hands and/or arms driven into your face and breaking your nose when the airbag deploys.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:09 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fullofivy
Your thumbs should be below with your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock. The bumps are to help keep your thumbs in place when quickly turning the wheel left or right.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:39 PM
I put my left thumb under the bump when turning right and vice versa.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
10 and 2 were the standard when steering wheel diamaters were larger. Hand-over-hand steering was also the norm at that time, whereas shuffle steering is now the recommended method for high performance driving, as is hand position at 9 and 3.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:22 PM
I did some research and I'm surprised to learn that the majority of organizations/people that recommend the 9 and 3 or lower positions do so because of concern for air bag deployment. Apparently, if the air bag deploys with your hand at 10 and 2 or higher there's a chance your arms will get thrown into your face or inhibit vehicle control. There are still a lot of people that recommend 10 and 2 for hand position especially when it comes to highway driving.

Old 02-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by calejohnson
I did some research and I'm surprised to learn that the majority of organizations/people that recommend the 9 and 3 or lower positions do so because of concern for air bag deployment. Apparently, if the air bag deploys with your hand at 10 and 2 or higher there's a chance your arms will get thrown into your face or inhibit vehicle control. There are still a lot of people that recommend 10 and 2 for hand position especially when it comes to highway driving.
I've only attended one car-oriented advanced handling school so far, but I too had done my fair share of research before attending that school and the consensus is that the 9 and 3 is a better choice because: a) the airbag concern you mentioned; b) you have a broader range of motion and economy of motion at the same time, with or without shuffle steering (though shuffle steering is also prefered); and c) it is just more comfortable because you can let your elbows drop almost completely down when seated properly (i.e. your wrist lays over the top of the steering wheel when you are seated upright and with your arm straight out in front of you).

The fact that our steering wheel (and other aftermarket wheels such as MOMO) is specifically designed to accomdate the 9 and 3, and that most racing sports use this position, and that most advanced handling and racing programs teach this position is good enough for me.

The only exception I would make here is with off-road driving. You never want to hook your thumbs in the steering wheel when off-roading because if your front wheels hit a ditch or gully your steering wheel will violently turn breaking your thumbs.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:06 PM
MiamiG35sedan,

Excellent! I've wanted to attend a driving school but never gotten around to it. I try to remember to shuffle the steering wheel but am probably guilty of using a more casual technique the majority of the time. Afterall, I'm usually in city traffic or pushing up & down the highway for a client meeting. It just doesn't feel like a road course.

Somewhere I was taught to make certain that my driving position had my elbows slightly bent. I've since found that it is recommended that the elbows be dropped lower, just as you suggest. (That certainly would bring the airbag a lot closer to the driver.) I suspect that the needs of race drivers and those with a higher risk of airbag deployment because of their occupation (like emergency response personnel and police) make for different considerations of driving position.

Regarding the hazards of off-roading ... OUCH!!!

Old 02-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by calejohnson
Somewhere I was taught to make certain that my driving position had my elbows slightly bent. I've since found that it is recommended that the elbows be dropped lower, just as you suggest. (That certainly would bring the airbag a lot closer to the driver.) I suspect that the needs of race drivers and those with a higher risk of airbag deployment because of their occupation (like emergency response personnel and police) make for different considerations of driving position.
As long as you're at least 12" away from the airbag you are OK. I'm 5' 11" with an average build and I'm safe in the "proper" seating position I described in the earlier post.

Old 02-13-2005, 02:04 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
I keep my left hand on the wheel and my right hand on the leg of my passanger. Most of the time that's my girlfriend...most of the time.