G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

whistling on acceleration...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whistling on acceleration...

I just got a brand new 04G35 and really like it except two different engine noises. One is the whistling sound on acceleration, which is not really big but still noticible. the other is noticed when stopping . are those noises normal? I drove a loaner car, didn't hear the whistle sound and noise. Have you guys experienced this problem?

Last edited by mine; 02-11-2005 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by mine
I just got a brand new 04G35 and really like it except two different engine noises. One is the whistling sound on acceleration, which is not really big but still noticible. the other is noticed when stopping . are those noises normal? I drove a loaner car, didn't hear the whistle sound and noise. Have you guys experienced this problem?
I think the whistling sound is the high-flow induction system (air intake). What kind of sound do you hear when stopping?

BTW Congratulations on the new car!

Old 02-11-2005, 02:16 AM
I didnt get the whistle noise when accelerating until i put Stillens Big Air Intake... So if you have an aftermarket intake thats the culprit...

Old 02-11-2005, 05:15 AM
Originally Posted by calejohnson
I think the whistling sound is the high-flow induction system (air intake). What kind of sound do you hear when stopping?

BTW Congratulations on the new car!
Thanks...
So is the whistling(caused by intake) serious? can it be fixed easily? I've driven several Gs through testdriving and rental car, this is the first one that has whistling sound. I don't think it's a general problem in Gs. And I didn't do any mod on the G.

The other noise... its hard to explain (due to my language problem) but I can say in a different way, I have 97 camry 4cyl. when I turn the AC on in summer, the engine sound of the camry gets noisier. In my powerful NEW G has that kind of sound all the time. I know it is not the same sound as the camry's but just similar sound. It seems that the sound always there but I only can feel it while I stop at the stop sign or red-signal. The loaner car i drove today(03'G35) didn't have that sound and it was quieter than mine. What should I do? hope its not THAT bad problem ~~ Well, other than the noises, I love the G. I'm waiting for the end of break-in period. it only has 140miles ^^;;

Last edited by mine; 02-11-2005 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:32 AM
mine,

I'm only speculating that the intake is the cause of your sound. It's the only thing on the car where air is forced through at a high enough speed to cause that kind of sound. (Well there's the exhaust note but we'll get to that next.) Can it be fixed? It might be less noticable in the future. The air filter should be checked to make sure it's properly seated. After driving for a few months, the filter will change the way the car sounds a little bit because the particals the filter collects will make a small change in the air induction system.

My guess is your other sound is completely normal too. The G35 was designed to have a distinctively aggressive exhaust note. It's not as noticable on the sedans as it is on the coupe and it should sound like a deep burbling sound. If you say your camry had a noise when the AC was turned on, my guess is the noise you mean was the compressor and it would be a deep tumping noise too, but different.

Did you have a loaner car yesterday because you took your car in to the dealer to ask about these sounds? Just curious, 140 miles is pretty soon to be returning to the dealer.

Old 02-11-2005, 11:56 AM
The whistling sound I have experienced is from the inlet air damper for in-car heating. On a cold morning the heating system limits the amount of cold air into the cabin and creates a whistling sound only while driving. Once the car warms up, the inlet air damper opens up more and the whistling goes away.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:24 PM
the reason why I got the loaner car was to for perma-plate which dealer offered me for free.
As for the second noise, the loaner car and the one that I testdrove were much quieter than mine. That's why I'm worrying about it.. Anyways I'll drive some more hundered miles and watch the symptom carefully~~
Thanks