Forced Induction Discussion of turbos , superchargers , and nitrous upgrades on the G35

Vortech whistling woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortech whistling woes

When the G is warming up in the morning there is a significant whistle while it sits at 1k rpm. This whistle goes away with the rpm decrease as the engine heats up but is still evident when passing through 1k rpm and also near 2k. I noticed the intake filter is cone shaped much like the pop charger I had installed previously, which also whistled. I was thinking of changing the filter to a K&N style (if I can find one that fits on there). Anyone had a similar experience with this? Any solutions?

"I'm not saying you're full of BS, per se" - Zimbo

-JustICE

Old 04-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Re: Vortech whistling woes

mine does exactly the same thing, i kinda like it, i dont think it has anything to do with the filter so changing it probably wouldnt help.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:39 PM

It's not the air intake that's makin' the noise its the Blow Off Valve. You can call Vortech they have a filter they say will fit on it.( I have my doubts without an elbow to get it off the intercooling piping.)
I fabricated my own, just turn the BOV toward the passenger fender well. Yes, you'll have to do a lil' more trimming on the plastic. I found a small K&N looking crankcase vent filter at a local speed shop, a PVC 90 degree elbow and a short rubber coupler (came with clamps) from the plumbing dept at Home Depot. Totally eliminated the whistle.

241864-IM000165.jpg

Old 04-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your BOV shouldn't be making noise at idle. Things to rule out:

- The belts make a noise under normal conditions of course, but make sure the noise you are hearing isn't belt squeal. That means your belts are loose.

- The turbine makes noise. It has bearings.

- The BOV makes noise--but should only do so when pressure has been built up and is then released.

My installer noticed that my BOV made "a heckuva lot" of noise during normal driving. They ended up replacing the tightening nut or something like that and now I only get the woosh when I'm supposed to (i.e. when depressing the clutch or letting off of the accelerator after pressure has built up).

--Steve

Old 04-29-2004, 09:22 PM

DBSQ,
I will head out to autozone and see what I can find.

Zimbo,
Yeah I hear the belts, the turbine and the BOV as you mentioned (good sounds) but I also hear a very loud whistle at idle(bad sound).

-JustICE

Old 04-29-2004, 09:36 PM

Yep thats definitly it. I just put my hand flat about 1 inch from the BOV exhaust and instant silence. Hmm now about this filter. Off to autozone and home depot. Thanks,

-JustICE

Old 04-29-2004, 09:37 PM

Sorry one more thing. Its almost as though I dont even need a filter. just something to break up the exhaust once it exits the BOV. Wierd

-JustICE

Old 04-29-2004, 10:20 PM

I was reading someones opinion about the BOV venting to the atmosphere, (this was a discussion by forced induction pros). One opinion was that there are times during the cycling of the valve that its possoble for air to enter the BOV. So the filter/muffler will do double duty.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:28 PM

I struck out at autozone and kragen. I will try another spot tomorrow. I am like excited knowing I can get rid of that god forsaken whistle. Its like listening to AM radio turned to full blast. Enough to drive a man insane. Thx for the help.

-JustICE

Old 04-29-2004, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure it's not just something you can tighten?

--Steve

Old 04-30-2004, 08:40 AM

I am going through the same issue. I haven't had time to get under the car yet to look/listen to it closely. Mine also whistles loudly (sounds like brake squeal) during slow decelleration or steady RPM driving at lower RPM's. As soon as I hit the gas it closes fully and is dead quiet until full release between shifts (which is a pleasant sounding "whoosh"). There is curently a K&N mototrcycle air filter on it but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. If I can't find a way to tighten it I think I am going to try to make a BOV exhaust "duct" out of flexible radiator hose or something.

04 G35c DP/Willow, aero, prem, guards...
Vortech S/C
R/T cats
Stillen exhaust
JWT clutch & flywheel
Eibach sways
clear corners
brake reservoir cover
grounding wires

Old 04-30-2004, 11:59 AM
Banned

I went to the shop.The real bad whistle noise is gone.The intercooler piping that runs behined the compressor was touching it. So any sound the compessor was making, resonated real bad through the piping .Mech took a hunk of radiator hose [3 inches] and split it, tucked it between the piping and the compressor and the piping and the wheel well. Real loud whistle is gone now.WHEEEEEW...Am I happy

Couldnt afford it when young...gonna play when Im old

Old 04-30-2004, 12:21 PM

THANK YOU for the reply. I will try to look at that this weekend!

04 G35c DP/Willow, aero, prem, guards...
Vortech S/C
R/T cats
Stillen exhaust
JWT clutch & flywheel
Eibach sways
clear corners
brake reservoir cover
grounding wires

Old 04-30-2004, 06:53 PM

Well I got the filter on it is 100% better now. Sorry I dont have any install pictures (no camera lol) but I did it just as DBSQ suggested.

1) I flipped the BOV so that it faced the passenger wheel well.

2)attach this coupler to the BOV end:

The above picture doesn't do the part justice. It is more of a grey color and it is 1-1/2" on one side and 1-1/4" on the other. It is a little tight getting the 1-1/4" but it will fit snug.

2)Connect a PVC elbow connection to the 1-1/2" side of the above coupler. The elsbow is 1-1/2" and the following picture doesn't show it but one side is threaded along the outside.

3)Screw the vent filter (shown below) onto the threaded PVC elbow and tighten the supplied clamp.
. You want the 62-1514.

-JustICE

Old 04-30-2004, 07:24 PM

Good job !

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vortech whistling woes