G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Replaced Starter on 2005 G35X

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replaced Starter on 2005 G35X

Hi,

Prior to replacing the starter on my 2005 G35x, I searched the forum for info on troubleshooting the problem and a little DIY for replacing the starter. I found some info, but I just wanted to pass along my experience.
The car started to crank over a little slower than normal. I thought perhaps my battery was starting to go, etc. Then one day, when I turned the key, all I got was a single "click".
I tried jumping the car and all I got was again... a single click when I turned the key.
I got the battery checked out...it was fine. A shop checked the alternator...that was fine. So everything pointed to the starter.
I purchased a starter ($150)..has a 3yr warranty.
On this year/model, the starter is on the driver's side. I jacked the car up pretty high and put jack stands under it. Removing the main cable/terminal was a little tight...used 3/8" ratchet and got it off. Undid the other wire connector located next to the starter. The two bolts holding the starter were OK. One was very easy to get to. The other I used a long extension and a little swivel extension to get to the bolt (from the front of the car extending towards the back to get to the bolt).
The only item was the little pigtail wire that came on the new starter was an inch or so shorter than the one on the old starter. So, the connector plugs didn't reach each other. I had to remove the small mounting bracket that the one connector is connected to to get me another inch or two in wire length. Once I did that, they connected up.
Now the car starts REAL FAST...it is like night and day between what it was and what it is now. Sorry I didn't take any pictures....but if you have a question I'll try to answer it.

The following users liked this post:
The Fixer (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Awesome! Love to read other DIYers post up their success stories.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g35x
Originally Posted by jwb2005G35x
Hi,

Prior to replacing the starter on my 2005 G35x, I searched the forum for info on troubleshooting the problem and a little DIY for replacing the starter. I found some info, but I just wanted to pass along my experience.
The car started to crank over a little slower than normal. I thought perhaps my battery was starting to go, etc. Then one day, when I turned the key, all I got was a single "click".
I tried jumping the car and all I got was again... a single click when I turned the key.
I got the battery checked out...it was fine. A shop checked the alternator...that was fine. So everything pointed to the starter.
I purchased a starter ($150)..has a 3yr warranty.
On this year/model, the starter is on the driver's side. I jacked the car up pretty high and put jack stands under it. Removing the main cable/terminal was a little tight...used 3/8" ratchet and got it off. Undid the other wire connector located next to the starter. The two bolts holding the starter were OK. One was very easy to get to. The other I used a long extension and a little swivel extension to get to the bolt (from the front of the car extending towards the back to get to the bolt).
The only item was the little pigtail wire that came on the new starter was an inch or so shorter than the one on the old starter. So, the connector plugs didn't reach each other. I had to remove the small mounting bracket that the one connector is connected to to get me another inch or two in wire length. Once I did that, they connected up.
Now the car starts REAL FAST...it is like night and day between what it was and what it is now. Sorry I didn't take any pictures....but if you have a question I'll try to answer it.
Can you tell me how you got the starter out from under the car? It looks like you have to pull the axle to get it out and new one in. I can get the starter off but, don't see any space to get it out?? Thank you for any help

Old 12-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It has been so long, I can't really remember how I remove it specifically... I do know that I'm positive I didn't have to remove the axle, etc...
If you get the bolts out, connectors undone, just try to maneuver it around in different positions....it should squeeze out in some form/fashion.

The following users liked this post:
ScottsT (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g35x
That's what I was thinking, unhook it and see what happens. Thank you for your help and have a great day.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by jwb2005G35x
It has been so long, I can't really remember how I remove it specifically... I do know that I'm positive I didn't have to remove the axle, etc...
If you get the bolts out, connectors undone, just try to maneuver it around in different positions....it should squeeze out in some form/fashion.
Props to you though for responding to your 4 year old thread

Old 12-18-2018, 05:22 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
I'd like to add that when replacing the starter, avoid AutoZone and Pep Boys like the plague. Three starters in a row for my 1990 Accord would grind every 3-4 starts. Finally gave up, got a used on at a wrecking yard for $35 and never had another problem. On my 2004 Accord, my "lifetime warranty" starter I've had to replace once (left me stranded, wouldn't crank over at all after only about 1 year) and the 2nd one I'll need to swap about because this one runs on after the car starts. Doesn't grind against the flexplate, just spins sometimes several seconds after I start the car. Seems like starters are the one thing most chain parts stores can't get right.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
^^^^^

A problem with a OEM starter or an alternator should not be replaced or exchanged
Find an electrical motor shop that can rebuild your original one.
They can replace any defective bridge rectifiers, bearings, clean the armature, etc.
These shops know how to remove any starter and rebuild it properly

Telcoman

The following 2 users liked this post by telcoman:
Scottwax (12-21-2018), tball35 (11-08-2019)