G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Fuel gauge problem. Detailed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 06:43 PM
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts
One owner 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Originally Posted by humbalum
Has anyone tried to resolder and repair the cluster for tiptronic mode? Or is there anywhere I can find which resistors are affect the tiptronic controls.
I believe @Scorpi0 has tried that.

The following users liked this post:
Scorpi0 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 09:32 PM
Received 410 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by humbalum
Has anyone tried to resolder and repair the cluster for tiptronic mode? Or is there anywhere I can find which resistors are affect the tiptronic controls.
I tried re-soldering everything on the board that I possibly could. I was using a fine point soldering tip, but there are probably a thousand points on the board that are so small that its impossible to get, even with my fine point.

I even tried going over the entire board with a heat gun hoping it might soften up some of the solder and get it to re-stick.

Still no luck! I dont even know if the problem really is a broken solder joint. It could be a bad chip or resistor. But thats beyond my troubleshooting capabilities. I just ended up buying a used cluster off ebay and that finally fixed my MM issue.

Old 03-07-2023, 12:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Infiniti G35 Coupe 2005 Gray
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
I tried re-soldering everything on the board that I possibly could. I was using a fine point soldering tip, but there are probably a thousand points on the board that are so small that its impossible to get, even with my fine point.

I even tried going over the entire board with a heat gun hoping it might soften up some of the solder and get it to re-stick.

Still no luck! I dont even know if the problem really is a broken solder joint. It could be a bad chip or resistor. But thats beyond my troubleshooting capabilities. I just ended up buying a used cluster off ebay and that finally fixed my MM issue.
yeah my tiptronic actually got worse after I tried to repair my fuel gauge. And my fuel gauge still kind of erratic. I’ve lost hope in my cluster and will probably try to buy another one so I can properly tune my car.

Do 06/07 clusters fit on 05? I know 03/04 don’t.

Last edited by humbalum; 03-07-2023 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:16 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I think the 5 different instrument clusters for the V35 chassis are

2003-2004.5 5AT sedan or coupe

2003-2004 6MT sedan or coupe

2004.5-2006 5AT sedan

2004.5-2007 5AT coupe

2005-2006 6MT sedan

2005-2007 6MT coupe.

Basically at the end of the day though it breaks down into whether you have a 5AT or 6MT, and the mid-year change later ones have the silver ring around the middle which displays either the gear indicator for 5AT or the word "REV" on the 6MT.

Scorpi0 (03-10-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 Coupe
I can live with the funky fuel gauge BUT not the service engine light

Hi guys, I have a 2006 G35 coupe with only 95k on it. I have the fuel gauge problem that is so excruciatingly detailed in this and other posts. Senders replaced twice, has to be the cluster. I don’t really care about the gauge all that much, to be sending my instrument panel off to wherever. I can use the trip odometer, now that I know the gauge has become unreliable.
But I am really not feeling driving around with the “service engine soon” light illuminated. Makes me feel like I’m driving a decrepit taxi belching smoke or somesuch. Is there an easy way to turn off/disable that damn light?
I feel like I keep the engine serviced pretty well. Is there a downside to getting rid of this light, assuming that is possible?
thanks

Old 12-08-2023, 02:48 PM
Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts
I think this is what your owners manual says about it:

If the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) comes on steady or blinks while the engine is running, it may indicate a potential emission control malfunction.
The malfunction indicator lamp may also come on steady if the fuel-filler cap is loose or missing, or if the vehicle runs out of fuel. Check to make sure the fuel-filler cap is installed and closed tightly, and that the vehicle has at least three gallons (14 liters) of fuel in the fuel tank.

After a few driving trips, the lamp should turn off if no other potential emission control system malfunction exists.

If this indicator lamp comes on steady for 20 seconds and then blinks for 10 seconds when the engine is not running, it indicates that the vehicle is not ready for an emission control system inspection/ maintenance test. See “Readiness for inspection/maintenance (I/M) test” in the “9. Technical and consumer information” section of this manual.

Operation
The malfunction indicator lamp will come on in one of two ways:

Malfunction indicator lamp on steady — An emission control system malfunction has been detected. Check the fuel-filler cap. If the fuel-filler cap is loose or missing, tighten or install the cap and continue to drive the vehicle. The lamp should turn off after a few driving trips. If the lamp does not turn off after a few driving trips, have the vehicle inspected by an INFINITI dealer. You do not need to have your vehicle towed to the re- tailer.

! Malfunction indicator lamp blinking — An engine misfire has been detected which may damage the emission con- trol system. To reduce or avoid emission control system damage:
a) Do not drive at speeds above 45 MPH (72 km/h).
b) Avoid hard acceleration or deceleration.
c) Avoid steep uphill grades.
d) If possible, reduce the amount of cargo being hauled or towed.

The malfunction indicator lamp may stop blinking and come on steady.

Probably best to figure out and fix the problem instead of disabling the warning light.

6speeder (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 02:57 PM
Received 101 Likes on 91 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by 6speeder
Hi guys, I have a 2006 G35 coupe with only 95k on it. I have the fuel gauge problem that is so excruciatingly detailed in this and other posts. Senders replaced twice, has to be the cluster. I don’t really care about the gauge all that much, to be sending my instrument panel off to wherever. I can use the trip odometer, now that I know the gauge has become unreliable.
But I am really not feeling driving around with the “service engine soon” light illuminated. Makes me feel like I’m driving a decrepit taxi belching smoke or somesuch. Is there an easy way to turn off/disable that damn light?
I feel like I keep the engine serviced pretty well. Is there a downside to getting rid of this light, assuming that is possible?
thanks
Pull the code, fix whatever it says the issue is. You can't disable it, especially if they do any emissions testing. If that light doesn't come on when the car is started, you'll fail.

6speeder (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 03:13 PM
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by Scottwax
Pull the code, fix whatever it says the issue is. You can't disable it, especially if they do any emissions testing. If that light doesn't come on when the car is started, you'll fail.

Thanks. As many many many other fuel gauge posts indicate, fixing the problem is exasperatingly difficult. Some owners have run through thousands of dollars trying to get the fuel gauge to work correctly. Also, I think the check engine light is a different indicator… but good to know that it can’t be disabled. Guess now I go off on the journey others have undertaken of getting the gauge cluster shipped off somewhere.

Scottwax (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 03:16 PM
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by 05_SkylineSedan
I think this is what your owners manual says about it:

If the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) comes on steady or blinks while the engine is running, it may indicate a potential emission control malfunction.
The malfunction indicator lamp may also come on steady if the fuel-filler cap is loose or missing, or if the vehicle runs out of fuel. Check to make sure the fuel-filler cap is installed and closed tightly, and that the vehicle has at least three gallons (14 liters) of fuel in the fuel tank.

After a few driving trips, the lamp should turn off if no other potential emission control system malfunction exists.

If this indicator lamp comes on steady for 20 seconds and then blinks for 10 seconds when the engine is not running, it indicates that the vehicle is not ready for an emission control system inspection/ maintenance test. See “Readiness for inspection/maintenance (I/M) test” in the “9. Technical and consumer information” section of this manual.

Operation
The malfunction indicator lamp will come on in one of two ways:

Malfunction indicator lamp on steady — An emission control system malfunction has been detected. Check the fuel-filler cap. If the fuel-filler cap is loose or missing, tighten or install the cap and continue to drive the vehicle. The lamp should turn off after a few driving trips. If the lamp does not turn off after a few driving trips, have the vehicle inspected by an INFINITI dealer. You do not need to have your vehicle towed to the re- tailer.

! Malfunction indicator lamp blinking — An engine misfire has been detected which may damage the emission con- trol system. To reduce or avoid emission control system damage:
a) Do not drive at speeds above 45 MPH (72 km/h).
b) Avoid hard acceleration or deceleration.
c) Avoid steep uphill grades.
d) If possible, reduce the amount of cargo being hauled or towed.

The malfunction indicator lamp may stop blinking and come on steady.

Probably best to figure out and fix the problem instead of disabling the warning light.
Thanks. I think this is a different light, and I know that the code is being sent because the gauge doesn’t work. It’s fixing it that is difficult

Old 12-08-2023, 03:32 PM
Received 101 Likes on 91 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Thanks. As many many many other fuel gauge posts indicate, fixing the problem is exasperatingly difficult. Some owners have run through thousands of dollars trying to get the fuel gauge to work correctly. Also, I think the check engine light is a different indicator… but good to know that it can’t be disabled. Guess now I go off on the journey others have undertaken of getting the gauge cluster shipped off somewhere.
I get it, even though I haven't had the fuel gauge issue, my speedometer doesn't always work, have to rap the top of the instrument pod to get it working again so likely a bad connection of some sort.

6speeder (12-09-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 08:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Infiniti G35 Sedan Automatic no mods
thanks
I shipped mine to a reputable place on ebay. One of the best decisions I've made for my 2005 G35.

6speeder (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 12:55 AM
Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts
Thanks. I think this is a different light, and I know that the code is being sent because the gauge doesn’t work. It’s fixing it that is difficult
You said the "Service Engine Soon" light which in the book is called the Malfunction Indicator Lamp or MIL. That info I copied and pasted is from page 2-15 and 2-16 of your owner's manual. Are you getting a recurring error code?

Last edited by 05_SkylineSedan; 12-09-2023 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-09-2023, 11:34 PM
G35x
what’s the actually answer to this? so many solutions presented and every other person says it doesn’t work for them.

Old 12-09-2023, 11:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Infiniti G35 Sedan Automatic no mods
Originally Posted by xcelebi
what’s the actually answer to this? so many solutions presented and every other person says it doesn’t work for them.
For me, it was the instrument cluster which needed a soldering job. I went with a reputable electronics service company on ebay. Like I said before, it was the best decision I made for my G35.

6speeder (12-10-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 11:58 AM
Received 357 Likes on 307 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
exelebi, there are multiple fail points that lead to an inaccurate fuel gauge. That's why there are so many options and solutions to explore. Following the troubleshooting sequence in the FSM will help isolate which issue is plaguing you.

The following 2 users liked this post by G2B35AGN:
6speeder (12-10-2023), xcelebi (12-10-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge problem. Detailed.