G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

White smoke and overheating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke and overheating

Hello all

I have a 2004 G35 sedan with 128000 miles on it, i recently bought the car and have been having problems with it. I changed the thermostat because the car kept overheating, got an oil change and flushed the coolant system, now the car is emitting white smoke from the exhaust while idling and overheats quickly. I had the radiator checked out and it seems there are no leaks there as it held all pressure. The oil on the dipstick isn't "chocolate milk " like but I'm still hoping its not a head gasket problem please help

Old 08-30-2014, 09:32 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I would take out the thermostat, boil some water and test it.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:35 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thick white smoke could be coolant/antifreeze being burned. Head gasket.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:57 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I'm sorry, but your car is broken. Change engine now. Someone screwed you.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Is it true "blue/white" smoke that smells of oil or is it water vapor (steam) that smells sweet?

Right now, pull your oil filler cap and the dip stick look for a chocolate shake looking goo on them. Check the radiator cap (when it's cool!) and look for same. Most likely, they didn't "burp" the coolant system when they flushed it. Most non import mechanics don't know about the air bleed valve in the back of the motor.

Hate to say it, but I think your fuked (blown head gasket/warped head(s).

Old 08-31-2014, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Is it true "blue/white" smoke that smells of oil or is it water vapor (steam) that smells sweet?

Right now, pull your oil filler cap and the dip stick look for a chocolate shake looking goo on them. Check the radiator cap (when it's cool!) and look for same. Most likely, they didn't "burp" the coolant system when they flushed it. Most non import mechanics don't know about the air bleed valve in the back of the motor.

Hate to say it, but I think your fuked (blown head gasket/warped head(s).
It is white smoke and I pulled the dipstick no "choclatemilk" there or in the radiator cap. A mechanic says a failing water pump seems to be one of the problems. If it is a blown head gasket, based on the research I've done so far id need an engine replacement?

Anyone have an estimate for that job I'm seeing a wide range $800-5000$

Old 08-31-2014, 01:15 PM
I have seen blown head gaskets that didn't leak water/oil at all. If it's true oil smoke and it's still there after the car warms up, you have a rings and/or valve guide problem (if it smokes the most at start up, most likely valve guides). You would need a short/long block replacement, Or if they are feeling adventurous, they can rebuild the one you have. It could go anywhere from 3-6K

Old 09-02-2014, 11:25 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Compression test to verify blown headgasket.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Hi, I'm having an overheating issue on my 03 sedan, but I don't have any smoke... I changed the thermostat, the fan clutch, and the radiator hoses. the water pump isn't leaking or making noise I have flushed the radiator and it all came out clean and clear, I don't have any back firing, chocolate milk, sputtering, or smoke.....any suggestions on what I can be facing?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:24 PM
You need to "burp" your baby.....

Did you let all the air out via the valve behind the intake?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Yes, I have released the air from the valve, it's acting so weird.... try to drive it for a minute and starts to rise to the H but if I stop at idle it cools down a little bit. so that caused me to replace the fan clutch, which wasn't the issue and now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out the problem...does this sound like the water pump or radiator? or worse my head gasket?

Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys I replaced the water pump and it seems that solved the overheating and I see a lot less white smoke now just a bit.

-----------------

okay so i thought the problem was fixed but its still overheating when I'm driving at low rpms.. I'm starting to think there is a problem with the fans because they sound a little noisy almost like a helicopter.. any ideas?

Last edited by Tonedaddycool; 09-03-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:32 PM
its almost as if the car needs to constantly be burped

Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Tonedaddy, your motor is broken.

Rotary, you still have air in your system. It takes much time and lots of bleeds for the inexperienced G bleeder.

When the motors hot try squeezing the bottom radiator hose. If its cool your therm isn't opening to let water in and push the air out. Try squeezing the lower hose to suck water down into the lower hose. When the therm opens it'll get too hot to handle. Keep bleeding, filling, keep bleeding and more filling. Have someone in the car to turn the car off if it gets too hot.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
Tonedaddy, your motor is broken.

Rotary, you still have air in your system. It takes much time and lots of bleeds for the inexperienced G bleeder.

When the motors hot try squeezing the bottom radiator hose. If its cool your therm isn't opening to let water in and push the air out. Try squeezing the lower hose to suck water down into the lower hose. When the therm opens it'll get too hot to handle. Keep bleeding, filling, keep bleeding and more filling. Have someone in the car to turn the car off if it gets too hot.

Even if the white smoke is no longer present ?😕

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: White smoke and overheating