G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Code P0462 Fuel Sending Units Low Voltage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Code P0462 Fuel Sending Units Low Voltage

Hey everyone,

Been reading up on this code as well as incorrect fuel gauge issues for quite some time. I've read just about every thread on this issue, including all the QTip cleaning DIY's etc...

My issue seems to be a little different. I went ahead and did the Qtip cleaning procedure on both resistors of both fuel sending units, passenger side (the PITA one) and driver side.

Once I put everything back together, it seemed to work for about 20 minutes, then the CEL went back on and my fuel gauge stayed pinned at 3/4 full regardless of the fuel level in the tank. This has been the case ever since it started a few months back. Stuck at 3/4.

So two reasons why I think my situation is different and would love to hear from other members if they have experienced the same thing:

1) Check Engine Light on and I scanned it and P0462 came up. I haven't seen any other instances with members who had fuel gauge issues and also got the CEL light with code P0462. The code reads means low voltage fuel sending unit. Anyone else get this code on its own? Only code that is showing up during the scan.

2) Most people have been posting about erratic fuel gauge behavior, as well as trouble filling the tank. I don't have either so I thnk I can rule out the shutter valve issue. If I fill it, the needle goes a line past full but never drops below 3/4, no matter how much fuel I use.

I've got an '06 G35x when 197,000+ miles on it. She still runs great except for this annoying issue and obviously no warranty anymore on her.

Would love some input/advice from folks with a similar situation.

Do I just bite the bullet and buy and replace both sending units/o-rings or is there anything else anyone can think of? I'm going to replace the fuel pump fuse tonight after work, just to see if it changes anything.

If the sending units or fuse replacement doesn't fix it, it's really not worth it for me to get a replacement instrument cluster. I'll just keep using my trip computer and refill at 300 miles or so. I can't think of any other thing to replace to fix it. Could it possibly be the gas cap?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 04-12-2015, 09:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello I'm currently having the exact same situation with my 07 coupe did you ever have any luck fixing yours. I tried the diy with no luck and am considering going to the dealership

Old 09-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0462 Code

BLUF: the fuel gauge wiring itself may be faulty and require repair, or cluster purchase ($$!!).

Now then, I recently purchased a 2006 G35 Sedan w/212K miles, and one of its gremlins (as disclosed by seller), is a fuel gauge misread and Service Engine Soon/Check Engine Light issue. I read through all the service records the seller provided, and found a particular service visit (about 70K miles ago) during which the fuel sending units were replaced; however the problem persisted. I also noted at the end of the service write-up, a short note suggesting the fuel gauge in the instrument cluster may be faulty and would need to be replaced (~$2K for cluster and programming).

Noting that item about the faulty fuel gauge, I started digging thru this site (and others--including eBay), and found that these models have seemingly had an issue with bad connections on the back of the instrument cluster. I also found that there are businesses out there that will have you remove your cluster and send it in for an overhaul of sorts ($99-$199) where they re-solder all the connections in the back of the cluster and then send it back to you for self re-install.

Currently, when I fill-up the gas tank, I get the P0462 code, which I am able to reset/clear until the next fill-up; my gauge's current readings are Full at Full and Empty at Half, so I also reset my odometer when I fill-up and drive ~300 mi. before filling-up again. I will probably attempt this instrument cluster mail-in fix at some point, but for now I'm living with the issue by monitoring the mileage.

Hope this helps...

Old 05-27-2016, 04:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi folks,

I too am having this issue. I get the P0462 code when I fill up, and my gas gauge is wildly inaccurate. I have replaced both fuel sending units myself, which did not fix the problem. Has anyone else figured out how to resolve this?

I'm planning to sell the car this summer and get something new, and i'd like to try and have this fixed before then (I don't want to sell a car with current issues). Otherwise I may have to take a loss and trade it in.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I too have been having the fuel gauge misread problems for several months and just started getting the P0462 code a week and half ago. Just tracking mileage like everyone else until a known fix is found.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Any updates? I been having this light on for a month.

I replaced the passenger side sensor and it didn't fix it. I was going to do the driverside sensor but from all I read replacing both of the sensors does not fix this issue.

My next assumption would be that the gauge cluster itself is having the issue? I did the gauge cluster test as per the factory service manual and everything checked out good. Im really stumped on this issue.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:03 PM
My check engine light goes off when the gas gets low. But as soon as I fill up at the has station, the P0462 check engine light code comes back on. My gas level is always stuck at 3/4 full.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:39 AM
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
HUGE ADVICE. Learn to live with it. Lol. This has been a problem that has never been resolved. When you fill up the tank, just reset your trip A mileage to 0 and drive until 300 miles then fill up the tank again. It's alot easier to live by doing this.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:12 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by IllaNoizeTV
HUGE ADVICE. Learn to live with it. Lol. This has been a problem that has never been resolved. When you fill up the tank, just reset your trip A mileage to 0 and drive until 300 miles then fill up the tank again. It's alot easier to live by doing this.
Did you not read the whole post? The problem isn't just the gas gauge...it's the check engine light.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:43 AM
Yeah you cant just ignore it if you have the check engine light on. In some states like NY you will FAIL state inspection with the check engine light on. They even check for pending codes now too so clearing it doesnt work.

Also driving around seeing the light on makes my car feel like its broken and its annoying. Although this isnt a serious issue that effects the cars driveability, it needs fixed asap.

My next thing is I will pull apart the gauge cluster and send it in for repair I guess. This guy in NJ fixes them for $95.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm in FL. I don't need to worry about that stuff so I've learned to live with it. But let us know what you find out

Old 07-30-2016, 04:45 PM
my 05 g coupe just got new fuel pump and relay along with fuse and the pump still wont get power. iv already checked wiring. Can anyone help? thanks.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by mauriciog35
my 05 g coupe just got new fuel pump and relay along with fuse and the pump still wont get power. iv already checked wiring. Can anyone help? thanks.
Not sure why have not followed the FSM?

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Coupe/2005/fl.pdf

Telcoman

Old 07-30-2016, 07:08 PM
Check engine

My 05 g35 has the check engine light on for o2 sensors have been replaced aftermarket and dealer I've swapped the whole engine changed the catalytics and still have my check engine on no mechanic has been able to help me fix this issue can anyone help been trying to fix this for nearly a year

Old 07-31-2016, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by telcoman
Not sure why have not followed the FSM?

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Coupe/2005/fl.pdf

Telcoman
I've looked over the FSM but how does that help me find my wiring problem? The issue is not mechanical it's electric. I keep blowing my ign fuse every time I turn my key.. Car won't start btw... There has to be a short somewhere I just can find it and I don't know what harness to open up and go threw. I hope it's that simple at least.

Last edited by mauriciog35; 07-31-2016 at 10:34 AM.