G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Gas mileage....?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skippyG
Yeah... I'll second that. My old TL had NO exhaust note. The G has a nice gurgle, even if you don't goose it.

Which mileage app is that anyway? I type "mileage" in the App Store and get a billion hits.
I have an android phone.... its icon is an orange square with a black fuel pump on it. Basic and free (and no ads). Lots of apps out there do the same thing.

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Loud pedal makes me chuckle a bit. One of my fave features of my G is how quiet it is
Oh, I wouldn't say my G is loud by any means, but you can hear the exhuast and tell that you don't have a a puny engine. My last few cars have all be turbo 4's and a turbo really evens out the exhaust, and removes some of the depth.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aroundincircles
I have an android phone.... its icon is an orange square with a black fuel pump on it. Basic and free (and no ads). Lots of apps out there do the same thing.

Oh, I wouldn't say my G is loud by any means, but you can hear the exhuast and tell that you don't have a a puny engine. My last few cars have all be turbo 4's and a turbo really evens out the exhaust, and removes some of the depth.
Ok - Should be able to find one that does the trick.

Yep - I like it!

Old 10-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
They are pretty damned quiet - Hardly any wind noise @ 85mph.

The G is much more "vocal" than my TL - it had no exhaust note to speak of and really only intake noise when I got on it & engaged VTEC.

Prob the reason that I got such bad mileage on the first 2 tanks was to listen to it
Mine isn't. It's had lots of road noise since we bought it. I think they put a little harder bushing in the "Sport" models. Then when those wore out, I went back with Energy Poly bushings and that added even more road noise.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I just took my new "Pre-loved" 2005 sedan on its first road trip and got 22.5 mpg overall... Or 362.5 miles before the gas light came on. Should this be considered approximately "normal"? My 2004 TL did a lot better (nearly 30 mpg) under similar circumstances - 75 to 80 mph on interstate, using cruise control when possible..... I know that the TL being front drive, would be a bit more efficient but should it be that much of a difference?
362 /14 = 25.8 ... the shame light comes on really early to keep you from burning up your pump.

In mine after a tune I did coastal driving and hit 29mpg

keep in mind the rear end is shorter than the TL in these to compensate for the ''exaggerated'' horsepower.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by maxxcool
362 /14 = 25.8 ... the shame light comes on really early to keep you from burning up your pump.

keep in mind the rear end is shorter than the TL in these to compensate for the ''exaggerated'' horsepower.
/14? Its a 20 gallon tank. If you were to divide from full to "light on for 20 miles" it would be /15.5-16. There's a 4 gallon reserve that turns the light off and puts you back to 1/4 tank after you drive around for awhile. I know from experience, dude...if you know what I mean. Haha

Old 10-20-2014, 05:31 PM

So... there's 4 gallons left when the light comes on? Makes sense, I don't think that I've ever been able to put more than 17 in it... Sure is a big "safety" margin. 25 or so wouldn't be bad....

My old TL would only take 13-14, even though I later found that it was rated @ 17 gallons.... Guess they do it to keep idiots from running out of gas.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Mine isn't. It's had lots of road noise since we bought it. I think they put a little harder bushing in the "Sport" models. Then when those wore out, I went back with Energy Poly bushings and that added even more road noise.
Mine rides pretty quietly.... Must be the squishy all seasons that the previous owner inflicted on it. Replacing them is another item on my list. Might be a while as they appear to have a treadwear rating of about 4 billion and seem to be in good shape!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:32 AM
The last three sets on my car have been Goodyear Eagle GT 245 40 19 and I love them, now I find out they are not making them anymore....

Old 10-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
/14? Its a 20 gallon tank. If you were to divide from full to "light on for 20 miles" it would be /15.5-16. There's a 4 gallon reserve that turns the light off and puts you back to 1/4 tank after you drive around for awhile. I know from experience, dude...if you know what I mean. Haha
So far if I top off at the onset of the light I only get 14.5 at most into the tank. Given the pump can burn up if not cooled and you have to drop the tank to get at it I don't risk diving with the light on for very long at all.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:43 PM
So far if I top off at the onset of the light I only get 14.5 at most into the tank. Given the pump can burn up if not cooled and you have to drop the tank to get at it I don't risk diving with the light on for very long at all.
Yeah - I usually get gas soon after the light comes on. I erroneously thought that empty means empty in these cars.... But like I said, my Acura was rated @ 17 gallons. Seldom was able to ever put in more that 14.

So, I guess the assumption is treat it as it has a 16 gallon tank

Old 10-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by aroundincircles

I've had nothing but V8's with loud exhausts, so getting into a G35 was peace and quiet for me.

My Mercedes is quieter than my G35 still. That has pretty much no exhaust note at all. It's just all engine noise at WOT

Old 10-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I've had nothing but V8's with loud exhausts, so getting into a G35 was peace and quiet for me.

My Mercedes is quieter than my G35 still. That has pretty much no exhaust note at all. It's just all engine noise at WOT
My friend's 500E is the same way...

Old 10-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Ha! Yesterday I put 18.276 gallons in my Frontier. Manual says it holds 18.... fumes....

Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Ha! Yesterday I put 18.276 gallons in my Frontier. Manual says it holds 18.... fumes....
You're a brave soul....I never go below 1/4 tank, I don't like to replace fuel pumps if I can avoid it.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Yeah - I usually get gas soon after the light comes on. I erroneously thought that empty means empty in these cars.... But like I said, my Acura was rated @ 17 gallons. Seldom was able to ever put in more that 14.

So, I guess the assumption is treat it as it has a 16 gallon tank
Pretty much what I do. with reasonable driving I can get 380-miles on road trips around the 65-70mph mark.

If I REALLY drive 65 I can do (and did) 405 miles on 1 tank. (fill till it clicks and hang it up.)

You can get better gas millage in yours im sure. Plugs and a oil catch can will 'help' .. but if your like me and like to pass alot, and hoon-about... well then I get 19mpg avg on a tank and grin while doing it..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage....?