G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Another Muffler question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Muffler question...

So I noticed my recently acquired 04 G35x sedan seemed a little loud...it sounded pretty good so I just chalked it up to the previous owner doing some kind of exhaust upgrade. Sadly after some further inspection it seems I have a 'rotten/rusted' flange at the muffler. So my nice purr is a partly bypassed muffler lol. So the shop said they can just weld a new pipe in place of the flange and replace the ground and call it good at like $50 or they suggested replacing the whole axel back and welding a new flange on the original pipe. The have the Magnaflow 14815 as a replacement. So to you folks in the know is it worth spending the extra coin (like around 275 total) on the Magnaflow setup considering the rest of the intake and exhaust are stock except for a K&N filter? Will there be any real change in sound or performance? or is it better to just fix it for now and say save up for a full cat back by Magnaflow, Stillen or Borla?

Any advice or thoughts would be great

Old 02-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Adding a Magnaflow muffler will make it louder, that is all. I'd just fix it on the cheap for now and save/decide what you want in the way of exhaust.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:05 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Magnaflow does more than just make it louder. I replaced the stock muffler with a magnafliw and deleted the resonator and it revs waaayyyy faster than stock.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Do you actually want a louder exhaust?

When my muffler flange rusted out, the drone drove me crazy. I just had a shop weld in a pipe and call it a day and now I have my nice quiet G again.

Loud exhaust is not my thing unless it's on a V8...but that's me. If you want to take the opportunity to change your exhaust around a bit, now is the time. But that's your choice

Old 02-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same thing happen. Fixed the rusted flange and it was waaaay too quiet. So I had them remove the midpipe. It sounds great, if you liked the way it sounded partially muffled, you'll love the sound with the huge muffler on the midpipe gone.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:45 PM
No mid-pipe resonator and magnaflow, I had very little drone. Only when I was bogging gears (which you shouldn't do anyway). Adding a z-tube and 5/16 spacer really smoothed it out and now there is virtually no drone except in extreme/dumb situations (I.e. 6th gear, uphill >2500 rpm).

Old 02-10-2015, 09:24 PM
hmmm that's very interesting dsr30 so you ran the stock muffler and no midpipe? did they just fab/bend a pipe to fit? would definitely lighten things up that midpipe is a monster. Did you notice any loss in low end? How was the drone?

Old 02-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
I had a Magnaflow 88 series. Sounded great until I added test pipes

Old 02-10-2015, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by drkjed
hmmm that's very interesting dsr30 so you ran the stock muffler and no midpipe? did they just fab/bend a pipe to fit? would definitely lighten things up that midpipe is a monster. Did you notice any loss in low end? How was the drone?
The only thing it would do is improve exhaust flow. Its the same thing as putting a z tube in place of a g tube (only on the opposite end obviously). The resonator (or midpipe) is just a chamber to cause turbulant swirling exhaust so it all can't escape at once. You may get more rasp, but the stock muffler is fairly restrictive, so you probably wouldn't notice.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Yup. They just fab'd a pipe to fit. The stocker is huge and heavy. I didn't notice any loss in low end. The only time I get drone is when I'm in a high gear and high load. It's really smooth, and deep, no rasp. I only get some heat shield vibration from the muffler sometimes. But that only happened after adding the Ztube.

That's what it looks like now.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by dsr30
Yup. They just fab'd a pipe to fit. The stocker is huge and heavy. I didn't notice any loss in low end. The only time I get drone is when I'm in a high gear and high load. It's really smooth, and deep, no rasp. I only get some heat shield vibration from the muffler sometimes. But that only happened after adding the Ztube.
[IMG]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driver.com-vbulletin/1120x2000/80-g35_exhaust_2e453184d9bd76da59b3516b8a25abd598afaa 9f.jpg[/

That's what it looks like now.
That's pretty nice any chance u have a sound clip/vid somrthing of the stock muffler and fabbed mid pipe getting it fixed or maybe modded tomorrow

Old 02-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Hell just flip a coin...lmao

Possibilities: Have the pipe replaced and walk away only having to spend $50 because you aren't a fan of more noise. or Have the muffler shop include the Magnflow muffler for a few more $$ and enjoy what should be a nice exhaust sound...but only if it's worth it to you!
Gary

Old 02-13-2015, 12:29 AM
That's pretty nice any chance u have a sound clip/vid somrthing of the stock muffler and fabbed mid pipe getting it fixed or maybe modded tomorrow
I wasn't on yesterday, but no, I don't have either unfortunately. I really should make one. The shop repaired the rusted pipe initially and it was way too quiet!

The following users liked this post:
drkjed (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Yea I decided to go the easy route and just have a new piece of pipe welded in. You are right dsr30 it did get very quiet in comparison but that's ok... I am going to pull together some cash and pick up a Magnaflow muffler and resonator and maybe a ztube and see how I like it.. is it true when doing the ztube and or exhaust changes you need to pull the negative battery terminal so the computer will reset to the changes??

Old 02-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Yea I decided to go the easy route and just have a new piece of pipe welded in. You are right dsr30 it did get very quiet in comparison but that's ok... I am going to pull together some cash and pick up a Magnaflow muffler and resonator and maybe a ztube and see how I like it.. is it true when doing the ztube and or exhaust changes you need to pull the negative battery terminal so the computer will reset to the changes??
Yeah, I didn't like the lack of sound at all! How much more would it have been to just delete the midpipe? If you're still looking at a replacement try this I was going to go this route, but just did the delete because it was cheaper and gave me instant gratification.
You don't have to pull it, it just makes the relearn faster.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another Muffler question...