G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Once proud G35 sedan owner not so proud anymore? Too many problems!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once proud G35 sedan owner not so proud anymore? Too many problems!

Ive got a 2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan I purchased recently, I love the car! Or did... but its issues are getting to me and im ready to sell it... Paid 3k for it. Titled for not actual miles. Title said 231k on previous owners title. Dash says 167k (ive put about 1k on it, said 166k when I got it. In the Danville, VA area if there are any other G35 enthusiast that might be able to diagnose these issues???

1. Transmission issues, when in D and it trys to shift to 5th gear it goes to what feels like 3rd instead? Same thing when manually selecting 5th. All gears old power but fluid is burned. So I have to drive using manual mode using gears 1 through 4. No one locally will flush the trans.

2. Manual Mode doesnt want to work most of the time. I have to restart the car multiple times for it finally to let me go into manual mode. Also when in manual mode it almost never lets me manually downshift, will upshift no problem. I would care less about the manual mode working if 5th gear worked correctly in D.

3. This is the one that took the cake. Car died on me during a long road trip. Would turn over but not fire back up unless I waited 5 minutes. It would fire back up and run perfectly fine for 5 minutes then start sputtering and die again. Eventually it ran for an hour but just in case I called a friend with a trailer to haul it home. Next day it ran fine.

Other Minor issues: When trying to gas up the car, it acts like the tank it full (back pressure on the pump) when its not?? So I have to baby the gas into the car otherwise it will constantly kick the gas pump off... Also air bag light is flashing, reset it and 5 minutes later it came back. Believe the car was in a wreck, someone took a hacksaw to the underside of the dash on the driver side, also drive seat is loose. So I believe either steering wheel air bag or the airbags in the seat are the issue. But no one locally can diagnose it... Engine rattles on startup, I figure something timing related, not a big issue now but if anyone knows of quick tips for me to check. I havent changed the cars oil yet as I keep having to add to it. Its practically got an oil change... I bought the expensive Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and have been topping it off with that. Plan to install a catch can to see if that will help the oil useage. I run 93 in the car and have been from day 1. Ran the car almost empty (as im not sure what was ran in it before) and filled up with 93.

If I can get this car to be reliable and the trans working correctly I plan to put some bolt ons on it. Thought about getting a Transgo Shift kit if I ever get the trans working properly. I dont trust trans shops around here. You go to any of them with trans issues and they ALWAYS only want to rebuild it.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by dust180
If I can get this car to be reliable and the trans working correctly I plan to put some bolt ons on it. Thought about getting a Transgo Shift kit if I ever get the trans working properly. I dont trust trans shops around here. You go to any of them with trans issues and they ALWAYS only want to rebuild it.

Honestly, you've got a lot of issues to work through before you can even really think about modding your car.

The car probably really has 231K on it. The dash cluster was probably replaced at some point.

Flushing a trans with 231K on it can either be good or bad. I can understand why a shop won't do it as if that's original fluid, there is a LOT of friction material suspended in the fluid that if suddenly remove, might result in a slipping trans. You're best bet, and this if you feel like taking the chance, is to buy 4-5 qts of Nissan fluid, and do a drain/refill. Usually you use 4 qts this way. You can do the drain/fill, drive 5-10K miles and do it again, and hopefuly the trans doesn't begin to slip on you. If it does, you need a rebuild. It's entirely possible you do already as this might be your 5th gear issue.

Manual mode might be the shifter unit. Common issues for the electrical contact to fail. You may need to replace the entire shifter unit to repair this.

Common issue if for driver's seat rails to tear. The fix is to replace the rails, or do a little welding.

Resetting the airbag light won't fix the issue if there is a genuine code stored. There is a way to read the codes.
http://infinitihelp.com/diy/common/i..._diagnosis.php

Honestly, for $3K you got what you paid for. You're going to have to put a lot of work/time/money into fixing the car, and it possibly needs a trans rebuild in addition to the other work needed. I think I'd try to recoop my losses and sell the car for $3K and pick up one that needs less work for a few $k more.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with The Stang. You bought a worn out car. If the body is in very good condition and you really are attached to the car and you have several thousand to spend, then rebuild it. Otherwise try to get what you paid for it or close and try again.