G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Decisions, decisions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Brakes Decisions, decisions...

Okay ladies and gents, I need to get my brakes done. I got my hands on a set of OEM Brembo and Akebono calipers. I am debating on which set to build and put on my 05 G35 OB sedan with coupe OEM 19" Rays. My car is a daily driver and is usually taken to the canyons for a spirited ride on the weekends. I don't intend to take my car to the track. The set I am not going to use will most likely be sold here for another member to ask you guys the same question I am doing now.

I have read a lot of post about brakes and have come to a conclusion that it all varies from individually or a combination of the following: Cost versus Type of use versus Weight versus Heat Dissipation versus Brake fade versus looks.

To improve your stopping distance, get better tires. - Got that.
To reduce brake fade, get better pads and to prevent vapor lock, get better brake fluid and lines. - Will do, as soon as I decide which caliper to build.
To improve visual appearance of your car, get a BBK. - Couldn't agree more.

Which leads us to the question of the day is which one would you build Brembo's or Akebono's?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:46 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Akebonos are 10 years newer, bigger, and look better.
Brembos have the word Brembo on them.

How is this even a choice?

But truth be told, both really are only for looks. Pads and fluid is all you will even need for occasional trips to the track. If I were in your shoes, I would sell both and put the cash towards a FI kit.

The following users liked this post:
mushu (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 10:03 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
I'll agree and disagree with buddy. You'll never "need" either one if you aren't tracking it, but the looks go so far, I would suggest you can't really have a quality build without a BBK. I've seen it a few times where you get the car lookin fresh to deth, but yer just missing that one thing.

I think you'll be fine with whichever ends up being cheapest to build, which will probably be the akebono.

mushu (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 10:52 PM
Both of you guys bring up great points. This decision eventually does come down to the look of my ride or "the finishing touches" until I decide to put on or change something else. I would love the thought of going FI, but I have not caught that bug yet. For now.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:12 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
I have Brembo brakes and wheels on my ride and they have been good to me. You can easily sell the Brembos and the Aks are much newer. If it comes down to looks, check out some pics online with your color car and wheels... that might help.

mushu (07-14-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 04:17 AM
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Forget about the brembos and the akes... Just buy a nice stoptech BBK and you will be soo happy... They have the best bang for the buck in my opinion and the best tech support around... I know you said your not going to track your car but I believe this is the route you should go.... Especially doing "spirited driving" in the canyons.....!

Old 07-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Tyke420
Forget about the brembos and the akes... Just buy a nice stoptech BBK and you will be soo happy... They have the best bang for the buck in my opinion and the best tech support around... I know you said your not going to track your car but I believe this is the route you should go.... Especially doing "spirited driving" in the canyons.....!
I know for sure that I or anyone here would be happy if they got the Stoptech or any other set of BBK. However, I don't know if I can justify spending $3K+ on brakes and not utilize it to it's limits or even close to it, when it has been mentioned that you only really need to get better tires, lines, pads and brake fluid. It was just the right timing in my case that I need to address my brakes. The calipers were just a plus because I had a little extra cash in the piggy bank.

Trending Topics

Old 07-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tyke420
OP admits main reason is for looks, it would be a huge waste of money to get a stopteck bbk. Stock brakes with quality fluid and pads is more than sufficient for spirited driving and occasional track days. Brembo/Akebono is just to look pretty.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
OP admits main reason is for looks, it would be a huge waste of money to get a stopteck bbk. Stock brakes with quality fluid and pads is more than sufficient for spirited driving and occasional track days. Brembo/Akebono is just to look pretty.
Couldn't said it better myself. Brembo and/or Akebono is a conversation starter with other enthusiast.

Tyke420 (07-15-2015)
Old 07-14-2015, 03:02 PM
I would say stick with the Akebonos and contact this guy, Mike the powdercoater. I had mine done there and he is amazing. He is extremly well known on the G37 forums for his work. If you are going to do a BBK for looks, might as well really make them pop. You can google him too for hundreds of great reviews.
http://thepowdercoater.com/

Old 07-14-2015, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
I would say stick with the Akebonos and contact this guy, Mike the powdercoater. I had mine done there and he is amazing. He is extremly well known on the G37 forums for his work. If you are going to do a BBK for looks, might as well really make them pop. You can google him too for hundreds of great reviews. http://thepowdercoater.com/
I have read about Mike the powder coater also. The reviews from G37 and the other forums are all positive. If I decide to redo the caliper color, I was thinking of doing the caliper yellow or lime green like what the Lamborghini have to make it really stand out.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:04 PM
Old 07-14-2015, 07:12 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Do plum crazy purple. I think that's what I'm gonna do. Haha

Old 07-14-2015, 07:51 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Often less is better!

When members spend giant $$ on wheels why would they P/C their claipers those fugly azz colors taking away the focus from the wheels? Maybe if you were joining the circus
Gary

Old 07-14-2015, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
When members spend giant $$ on wheels why would they P/C their claipers those fugly azz colors taking away the focus from the wheels? Maybe if you were joining the circus
Gary
gary c, it is the same reason why other enthusiast chrome their engine parts. No one will really see it when you are driving, but people still get it done. No disrespect to anyone who has done it. We all do it because it's whatever floats your boat. No regrets. Do whatever makes you happy. I, on the other hand will be keeping my OEM coupe 19" Rays on my car. Keepin it simple, but with a personal touch or how you addressed it gary c; less is better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions...