G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Knocking Sounds At Idle - Sounds Like Diesel Enigne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Knocking Sounds At Idle - Sounds Like Diesel Enigne

Last couple weeks the feel like it's running rough, it runs okay but you can feel it not running smooth. At idle there's knocking sounds that sounds like diesel engine.

Since the car have no codes and runs great i was thinking it's just winter gas but i don't recall it sounding or running like that from past year.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by G35CO
Last couple weeks the feel like it's running rough, it runs okay but you can feel it not running smooth. At idle there's knocking sounds that sounds like diesel engine.

Since the car have no codes and runs great i was thinking it's just winter gas but i don't recall it sounding or running like that from past year.
I have almost the same very faint sound. Sounds like Im running aftermarket Camshafts lol? I'm gunning towards it being the timing chain being noisy and probably needing to be looked at. These chain tensioners can get bad over time and may need replacement.

I have no codes as well and the engine runs great with no issues as well. I do have the timing chain rattle on startup although it happens rarely if its been sitting for a while.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:06 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
no way to help without a video.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by CV35Driver
I have almost the same very faint sound. Sounds like Im running aftermarket Camshafts lol? I'm gunning towards it being the timing chain being noisy and probably needing to be looked at. These chain tensioners can get bad over time and may need replacement.

I have no codes as well and the engine runs great with no issues as well. I do have the timing chain rattle on startup although it happens rarely if its been sitting for a while.
I don't think it's the camshaft. I wonder if the position sensor going bad or maybe it's the fuel damper. I hope tsomeone can help.

The noise is really low so I don't think a recording will work.

Last edited by G35CO; 11-22-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:41 AM
I don't think it's the camshaft. I wonder if the position sensor going bad or maybe it's the fuel damper. I hope tsomeone can help.

The noise is really low so I don't think a recording will work.
It is possible for the fuel damper. There was a TSB for that posted for the 350Z. A slight ticking noise would be emitted from a worn damper.

Does the sound go up with the revs of the engine?

-Ali

Old 11-23-2015, 09:36 AM
It is possible for the fuel damper. There was a TSB for that posted for the 350Z. A slight ticking noise would be emitted from a worn damper.

Does the sound go up with the revs of the engine?

-Ali
The sound doesn't go up with revs

Old 11-23-2015, 12:50 PM
The sound doesn't go up with revs
Yeah, I would check into the fuel damper. Mine has a slight tick to it and haven't gotten around to replacing to see if it makes a difference just yet. The job is straight forward to replace as well.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I would check into the fuel damper. Mine has a slight tick to it and haven't gotten around to replacing to see if it makes a difference just yet. The job is straight forward to replace as well.
Can I drive the car like that or I need to replace it asap?

Old 11-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Can I drive the car like that or I need to replace it asap?
Shouldn't be an issue to drive with. Mine makes noise at times but nothing to worry about from what i have seen. I would replace it when you have the chance though. No too hard about a 30 min job or so.

Parts can be had online or at some local stores.

I would diagnose the sound first though for a piece of mind just in case.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:58 AM
Shouldn't be an issue to drive with. Mine makes noise at times but nothing to worry about from what i have seen. I would replace it when you have the chance though. No too hard about a 30 min job or so.

Parts can be had online or at some local stores.

I would diagnose the sound first though for a piece of mind just in case.
How you diagnose fuel damper sound?

Old 11-25-2015, 08:05 PM
How you diagnose fuel damper sound?
Taking a screw driver, use it to hear the sound the damper makes. If the ticking or knock sound is in sync with the damper, the damper may be bad. Some people have found replacing this to have the sound go away. Others did not have success.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking a screw driver, use it to hear the sound the damper makes. If the ticking or knock sound is in sync with the damper, the damper may be bad. Some people have found replacing this to have the sound go away. Others did not have success.
I'm haveing a similar issue. Has anyone else resolved issues such as these.
I'll fill you in on what I'm expierencing. SORRY FOR WRITING A BOOK, but I want to be thorough. I have a 2006 g coupe AT.
It only makes the noise when the engine is fully warmed up. And mainly at idle or coasting like 5-10 mph through a parking lot. At a stop light in gear the noise is not really noticeable but if i slip it in neutral taking load off engine the noise is there. If i put it in park or nuetral with foot on the break and slowly increase rpms it can be heard and gets faster with engine speed until about 2,000 - 2,200 rpm, then it disipates. Not a ticking more like a knock/thud . It's kinda rythmatic but skips a beat sometimes. Super strange really. The fact it don't do it on cold start up tells me it's not a lubrication issue unless the hot oil Temps viscosity has something to do with it. (The oil thinning out maybe). Also heard our timing chain driven engines are naturally a little noisy or noisier than a timing belt. I believe our timing chain tensioner are also controlled by oil pressure and oil pressure increases with engine speed so I thought maybe there is slight play that has accumulated over the 90,000 miles I now have and the tensioner doesn't fully extend until oil pressure goes up.
I tried feeling the fuel damper and hose and no pulsation or any vibration that I could tell. I know my fingers are no screw driver or stethoscope lol . .
Thought about taking it to the dealer but they couldn't even seem to diagnose a front wheel bearing a little over 6 months ago. . Gosh that was a fiasco of its own lol
Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. I really love this car with that being said it's so hard for me to just brush this noise off as nothing.

https://youtu.be/zdiTlirzRmU If this link works for you guys the noise is the same in this video. In the video description I believe he said motor replacement was needed but my question is why. Gosh I wold be upset.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this and any help or ideas are welcome. Rock on G owners Rock on

Last edited by feasbyk; 11-30-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Last time I checked my fuel dampers they didn't vibrate so I wasn't sure if that's the problem.

Can they fail and not vibrate/pulse?

The more I read about the fuel damper the more I think that's my problem.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last time I checked my fuel dampers they didn't vibrate so I wasn't sure if that's the problem.

Can they fail and not vibrate/pulse?

The more I read about the fuel damper the more I think that's my problem.

Yeah Same Here I Didnt Feel Anything But Ill Read More About Faulty Fuel Damper And Its Sympoms On Our Cars As Far As Noise And Vibration
Tonight.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your codes. It might be your knock sensor... hehe I know I just found out mine is bad and I will be replacing mine myself. It's not bad if you have experience installing your own Mrev 2 and 5/16 spacer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Knocking Sounds At Idle - Sounds Like Diesel Enigne