G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Strut replacement on high mileage G35x - anything else to consider swapping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strut replacement on high mileage G35x - anything else to consider swapping?

My '06 G35x just crested 190k km (that's 118k miles for everyone south of the border) and I feel like the struts need to be replaced. Front suspension creaks and in general the car doesn't feel as planted as it used to be. I have owned her for about 50k km and have never replaced them so my guess is that they are still the original ones. I'm planning on doing all 4 corners. Have a few questions:

1) I am not really interested in lowering, so is it ok if I reuse the spring? However, if I do find a reasonably-priced kit that results in a minimal drop then I'm ok with it.

2) Is it significantly easier to find and install a kit that comes preinstalled with a spring than it is to use a spring compressor? I read that some people have had less-than-ideal experiences attempting to do the work themselves with the spring compressor. Are power tools recommended for this?

3) Lastly, anything else that I can include when doing this job? e.g. some other consumable part in that area that may need replacement, or like a swaybar or something I can add on for fun?

Price is a significant driving factor... with the value of the Canadian dollar plus the ridiculous import fees we pay when buying from the US it might make a lot of things not worth my while. I'm doing this to learn, to have fun (and get angry at rusted bolts), but don't want to pay an extreme amount.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:54 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by deathsupport
My '06 G35x just crested 190k km (that's 118k miles for everyone south of the border) and I feel like the struts need to be replaced. Front suspension creaks and in general the car doesn't feel as planted as it used to be. I have owned her for about 50k km and have never replaced them so my guess is that they are still the original ones. I'm planning on doing all 4 corners. Have a few questions:

1) I am not really interested in lowering, so is it ok if I reuse the spring? However, if I do find a reasonably-priced kit that results in a minimal drop then I'm ok with it.

2) Is it significantly easier to find and install a kit that comes preinstalled with a spring than it is to use a spring compressor? I read that some people have had less-than-ideal experiences attempting to do the work themselves with the spring compressor. Are power tools recommended for this?

3) Lastly, anything else that I can include when doing this job? e.g. some other consumable part in that area that may need replacement, or like a swaybar or something I can add on for fun?

Price is a significant driving factor... with the value of the Canadian dollar plus the ridiculous import fees we pay when buying from the US it might make a lot of things not worth my while. I'm doing this to learn, to have fun (and get angry at rusted bolts), but don't want to pay an extreme amount.
1. As long as the spring isn't broke or cracked then yes you can reuse them. If you're looking to lower at all I'd probably get some coil overs, I think I have read a few posts were people lowered the car on stock springs and the shocks wear out faster.

2. Coil overs come with a spring, but are super expensive. I'm only aware of Monroe Quickstruts that are all-in-one, however, I never used them or even know if they exist for the G. You want the Macpherson strut compressor and make sure they have the lock pin with the metal clip to hold them in place. You can rent them from any auto store, I would stay away from the Harbor Freight grey ones they don't look too sturdy. Harbor Freight does have a really nice two-side Macpherson strut compressor that is about 70 bucks, I bought it for my Audi and then returned it when I was done. It ended up getting messed up towards the end, but made changing the Audi suspension so much easier. For the G you can just rent the normal ones at the auto store. I'd highly recommend an impact gun for this either air or electric, I have a plugin one I bought from Harbor Freight for 50 bucks did the job fine. I know have a cordless Milwaukee that I absolutely love. You just get them snug by hand one each side and then go back and forth on each compressing the spring. Then impact the top nut off and it falls out just be careful it doesn't hit the ground. Assembly is the opposite stick everything in, tighten the top nut down, release the compressors slowly on each side, and then hit the top nut again with the impact. I was scared as well doing them my first time and have done two other cars since then. As long as you're careful and take your time it will be fine.

3. I'd check out your control arm(s), ball joints, bushings, tie rods, and sway bar end links as well.

Get yourself a propane or MAPP gas torch and some PB Blaster for rusted bolts.