G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Regarding the break-in period....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the break-in period....

Someone posted an article that suggests that you don't need to baby your car during the break-in period, in fact they say to crank it up as it helps to seal the pistons.

I had a detailed conversation with my mechanic whom I've known for years. Keep in mind that this guy isn't just a scruffy grease monkey. He's owned his garage for 20 years and just built an add-on garage to his 3500 sq-ft home that includes 3 more hydrolic lifts.

Anyway, he told me that you should in fact break the car in. He said not to overly baby it as in lagging the engine at 2K RPM in all gears, but rather to trust the manual and work through the gear box at 4K RPM for 1000-1200 miles. I'm not a technical guy, but I trust both him and Infiniti/Nissan. Additionally, if you talk to BMW, Acura, Audi, etc., they all suggest breaking in your car in much the same way. That's good enough for me.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:12 PM
here is what I found: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

It seems logical to me...

Old 02-24-2005, 12:57 PM
I consider that article to be dangerously inaccurate, and frankly I would ask that the moderator of this website to consider disallowing it on here. I've read the article and shared it with several mechanics, including the Infiniti service department, and they all have called BS on this. If there were any merit to it, Infiniti, BMW, Acura, Audi, etc. would use it to sell us a $39.95 oil change after the first 50 miles. Additionally, it doesn't benefit the automakers to tell people that they need to drive conservatively for 1200 miles following their $30-$50,000 purchase. If anything, it pisses their customers off the hear this. Check out what Ferrari has to say. Do you think they're giving out bogus advice to people who are spending over $150,000 on their cars?

Hwy, I'm not calling you out on this. Many points of this article do seem logical, especially for 2-stroke engines. I'm just strongly warning people, especially young owners, to be careful when they break in their cars. Damn near every auto manufacturer suggests taking it easy during the first 1000 miles. I agree that you should work through the gears and vary your speeds, in fact I've been told to avoid using cruise control during the break in period. I DO NOT agree that you should wind up the engine past 4,000 RPM during the break it. It goes against what every manufacturer is saying, and engines are more reliable and longer lasting than at any point in automotive history. I will not take the advice of one rogue mechanic who is telling people exactly what they want to hear. I've been in Medical Sales for over 6 years, and I firmly believe in siding with the majority opinion and historical data for health issues. When virtually every thought leader is saying the same thing, why on God's green earth would you listen to the 1% minority?

Just my opinion....

Last edited by BobbyG123; 02-24-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:02 PM
What BobbyG123 says makes perfect sense to me. Motoman's trying to sell subscriptions to his mag and he isn't going to get people's attention by being mainstream. When my new G comes in, I plan on breaking it in as follows- Keep it under 4K for the first 750 miles, bring it up to 5K for an instant and then drop it down from 750 miles til 1200 miles and try to vary speeds til I hit 1200 miles and drive normally after that. Plus I will try to avoid hard braking til 1200 miles. I probably will change my oil at 1000 miles and then again at 5000 miles in which I will then change over to synthetic and do oil changes every 7500 miles thereafter. I told my dealer that I don't want a new car with 40 miles on it and make sure my car has under 15 miles or I ain't interested.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:08 PM
I asked the service manager about changing the oil at 1000 miles and he told me it was a waste of money and instead bring her in at 3000 miles. Additionally, I've read a lot of publications that suggest NOT switching over to synthetic oil until 10-20,000 miles. The general reasoning is that you WANT some engine wear with traditional oil. It actually helps break in the engine. Additionally, quality oils like Castrol "ain't your Daddy's motor oil." They are made so much better today that you aren't compromising your engine by running it on conventional oil for 15K miles.

I'm not telling you what to do. You should do your own research. For me, I'm going to use conventional oil until 15K miles, then bring her into the dealer for the 15K service where they will switch it out to synthetic or synthetic blend. My Infiniti dealership uses a synthetic blend that they claim is the best bang for the buck. I'm not sure yet, but I do have 15K miles to do the proper research.

Good luck.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys.... the whole 'break in' topic is a dead horse. It's been dead for a long while but until someone moves the carcass (ain't gonna happen in the next few years), we'll all beat on it forever and ever. There are two schools of thought. It's like the chicken and the egg thing, there's no right answer.

Do what you feel is right and try not to get attacked for doing what you believe in. Also try not to attack others for doing the opposite.

Personally, based on the SEVERE lack of evidence from both sides of the argument, I'm happy to sit on the fence and put it down to fate and/or a crapshoot. Your chances of having an engine with a short lifespan which burns oil all the time are the same as having one that will last much longer and never burn a drop. Treat your engine however makes you feel happiest and put down the rest to fate. It's one of those subjects that noone can CONCLUSIVELY prove you wrong (or right) on, so let's just put it all down to "magic".

Old 02-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
When in doubt, do what the manual states. If nothing else, if and when the engine gives you problems it won't be because you didn't do what the folks who engineered the car recommended.

As per the online owner's manual on the infiniti website, pg 5-21:

CAUTION
During the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km),
follow these recommendations to obtain
maximum engine performance and ensure
the future reliability and economy of your
new vehicle. Failure to follow these recommendations
may result in shortened engine
life and reduced engine performance.
 Avoid driving for long periods at constant
speed, either fast or slow. Do
not run the engine over 4,000 rpm.
 Do not accelerate at full throttle in any
gear.
 Avoid quick starts.
 Avoid hard braking as much as possible.
 Do not tow a trailer or haul a heavy
load for the first 500 miles (800 km).

Old 02-24-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
When in doubt, do what the manual states. If nothing else, if and when the engine gives you problems it won't be because you didn't do what the folks who engineered the car recommended.

As per the online owner's manual on the infiniti website, pg 5-21:

CAUTION
During the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km),
follow these recommendations to obtain
maximum engine performance and ensure
the future reliability and economy of your
new vehicle. Failure to follow these recommendations
may result in shortened engine
life and reduced engine performance.
 Avoid driving for long periods at constant
speed, either fast or slow. Do
not run the engine over 4,000 rpm.
 Do not accelerate at full throttle in any
gear.
 Avoid quick starts.
 Avoid hard braking as much as possible.
 Do not tow a trailer or haul a heavy
load for the first 500 miles (800 km).

You know....I never understand this discussion. Do all of you out there who don't follow the break-in guidelines FROM INFINITI feel that INFINITI is trying to mislead you in some way? Do you feel the break-in period was just randomly and artificially set by INFINITI? Do you believe there is a conspiracy on the part of INFINITI and others to prevent you from feeling all those horses during the first 1200 miles? Or do you believe that you know better than INFINITI, the designer of your car, as to the best and most appropriate way to break the car in?

Just seems silly not to follow the recommendation of INFINITI! Just my .02.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by lawboy05
You know....I never understand this discussion. Do all of you out there who don't follow the break-in guidelines FROM INFINITI feel that INFINITI is trying to mislead you in some way? Do you feel the break-in period was just randomly and artificially set by INFINITI? Do you believe there is a conspiracy on the part of INFINITI and others to prevent you from feeling all those horses during the first 1200 miles? Or do you believe that you know better than INFINITI, the designer of your car, as to the best and most appropriate way to break the car in?

Just seems silly not to follow the recommendation of INFINITI! Just my .02.
LOL...

Exactly. Infiniti did design, engineer and build the car they should know a few things about how to properly break-in the car!

The issue that is never discussed when talking about the break-in period is the drive train. Everyone always talks about the engine, and yet there is a transmission, brakes, suspension, and rear end that must be properly broken in. High loads and aggressive driving on a factory fresh drive train will have long term negative effects. Follow your manufactures recommendations. Period.

Old 02-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I trust the manufacturer - not some garage mechanic. It makes more sense to me to go a little easy on a new engine than to run it at the limit. I'm sure engine building technology is a lot better these days than it was 10 years ago. You can probably dog a new car and it will be fine but you will be asking for trouble or shaving a few k's off the life of the motor.

It has always been my understanding that to break in any new motor you do not want to cruise at the same rpm for a long time. You can rev it up but don't go near redline. I also believe manufacturers put in special oil for the break in so you do not want to change it before recommended.

Old 02-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I trust noone. And since I lease, I truly don't care about the longevity of the engine. I know, sad, but true.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:19 PM
All I said was that it sounded logical, which it does. Im a programmer so I cant help but think that way. I think doogie is right however. Personally my car has been over the 4k limit many times - its too hard not to do it!

Old 02-25-2005, 03:43 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we can all agree that a good rule of thumb is....don't buy sports sedans that come off leases.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by EZZ
I think we can all agree that a good rule of thumb is....don't buy sports sedans that come off leases.

LOL....very TRUE EZZ....no leased or rental vehicles for me!

Old 02-26-2005, 05:34 AM
Doogies comment is representative of most Americans. That's why I buy new cars. I must be very unique. No matter what car I'm driving, I drive it the way it's meant to be driven. Honda Civic, Ford Ranger, Infiniti G35, whatever...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Regarding the break-in period....