G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

White dots in clear coat on roof, what to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White dots in clear coat on roof, what to do?

So this is what the top back part of my roof looks like, I'm uncertain about what to actually do. This problem is mainly occurring there, it is very slight on the trunk and the hood? Almost where it's not really noticeable, I'm assuming this is damage from the sun?

So far all I've really done was wax it just to see if that would do anything but no luck. Does anyone know exactly what this is and how to fix it? Tomorrow I may try to a clay bar and re wax it, but I'm also seeing that it's recommended to clay bar, Polish, and then wax. As I have never polished a car, would you guys reccomend me trying this? I'm also not sure if it would be safe on the damaged parts. I plan to bring it to a professional when I get the chance, but that may not be for another month, should I still try to do this in the mean time?

Also unrelated, when the car is cold and I turn the steering wheel there is a loud squealing noise, I'm assuming it is the belt as it goes away almost completely when the car is warmed up (except for when I turn the wheel all the way to one direction and hold it you can hear it but it is very low in volume ) but is there any way to determine if it's actually the pump?

Old 04-08-2016, 01:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It looks like clear coat failure.

There's not a lot you can do short of removing all the clear coat and seeing what you have. If the clear has been gone a while, the paint underneath will more than likely be compromised as well. If that's the case, you've got to re-paint and re-clear the panel. If it is actually clear coat failure, I wouldn't clay, polish, or wax. Don't touch it. You need to leave as much clear as possible until you can get it fixed properly. All those steps will flake off any loose clear. Do you have any idea how long the damage has been there?

I had a similar problem on my '02 Impala spoiler. The clear had been gone for some time, and as soon as I started sanding the clear away, any color that wasn't protected by clear came off almost immediately. Sanded, primed, sanded, painted, cleared, wet-sanded and buffed to fix the damage.

If you haven't done anything like this before, I wouldn't recommend learning on a big panel like your roof, especially on a black car. Take it to a body shop.

Last edited by dillon_b12; 04-08-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Actually no, I don't think it is. I would first wash the car, then try, a clay bay treatment, then wax. I don't think it's IN the paint, I think it's ON the paint. If that doesn't work, a fine grit polish might be required. You may have had some kind of industrial chemical fall on it.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Actually no, I don't think it is. I would first wash the car, then try, a clay bay treatment, then wax. I don't think it's IN the paint, I think it's ON the paint. If that doesn't work, a fine grit polish might be required. You may have had some kind of industrial chemical fall on it.
It's definitely worth a shot. I'd wash the whole thing, then do some spot testing. Clay bar a spot and see what that does. Then, try Meguiar's 205 or Meguiar's Fine Cut Cleaner (or whatever fine cut polish you can find locally), and see what they do. There's no reason to waste your time claying or polishing the whole panel if it doesn't work in a test spot.

Side note:
Originally Posted by cjcj11

So far all I've really done was wax it just to see if that would do anything but no luck.
You didn't wax it without washing it did you? That's a sure fire way to get a bad wax job and a ton of swirl marks, especially on black.