Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Gauge problem. really really mad now

2006 g35x

Ive searched many many posts and gone through too many servies checks

now here is my problem

when tank is full, fuel gauge is more than F ( more than it used to be, i know when its normal it goes beyond too, but now it goes further).

when tank is empty is shows more than half of the tank.

now Ive replaced OEM sending units (both), as well as the Fuel tank itself (technician said it was the jet pump that levels the fuel in both tanks that is bad, and it is attached to the tank so i had to replace the whole tank). then dealership offered me a used one, and i filled it up and it leaks like crazy, fire truck came, and had it towed back to dealership and they replaced new.

so theoretically, everything on fuel tank side is new now. and the problem should be the cluster right ?

so dealership told me to replace whole cluster i said no. ive spent over 2.5k on this and still nobody can figure out the problem.

so i did a little search and found someone to replace the motor on the cluster. he did it and still the problem is there.

so WTF.. ive had enough of this car. seriously.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:19 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have this same issue on my 06 G35x. When my tank is almost empty it reads 3/4 full. This almost f***ed me over a few times because I was driving before thinking it was almost full and then all of a sudden the needle dropped to E and I almost broke down. I went the whole time thinking my tank was almost full.

I haven't dropped any money on it yet, but from the threads I read discussing this topic, I'm pretty sure its the actual fuel gauge/speedometer at fault. The LED that lights up the RPM needle already burned out!!!

Old 04-14-2016, 06:28 PM
yeah man. originally it was 3/4, and they told me its the jet pump that levels the tank at fault, then i replaced the whole tank, now its and 1/2. and they found out its the gauge.

im really pissed.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:42 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
yep i never trusted my fuel gauge. i just reset my trip meter every time i got gas. once my trip meter hit 240 or 250 miles i would fill up again.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My gauge is doing the same thing. Never imagined it would be a problem with the gauge in the dash and have been assuming I would eventually have to have the fuel pump or sending unit replaced. Any idea what the cost is to fix the gauge?

Thankfully as hurleyguys said, I know approximately how many miles I get out of a tank and know when to fill it up based on the trip meter.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:59 PM
sending unit is about 100 bucks each, new from ebay. and changing it yourself is so easy like 5 min job.

that actual gauge inside the cluster is about 125 bucks (labour included, except u take off the cluster yourself, or its like 200 bucks total if they do it for u) to swap out. but usually thats the case if your gauge is not moving....

i did swapped em out and still problem is there.

then about $1200 at dealership to swap out the fuel jet pump which is the fuel tank eventually cuz they are attached. and the dealership told me problem still exists.. and i still have to pay, this is a seperate problem LOL **** em

Old 04-17-2016, 03:44 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I tried to fix my sending units (cleaning contacts) and having no luck with several different fixes posted on the board. I refused to replace the sending units with the potential that the problem would still persist. After taking both sending units out for the 4-5th time, I noticed that the contacts were not making a solid connection. So I bent the contact arms ever so slightly so that the arms would press the contacts together with more pressure. So far I haven't had any issues and it seems to have consistently fixed the fuel gauge issue.

I still watch my mileage since it is habit from motorcycles with no fuel gauge which is a good practice anyways. I never fully trust the fuel gauge for any vehicle to begin with.

The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (05-19-2020)
Old 04-18-2016, 09:11 AM
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
like many others and myself its just something you have to live with. Rest, watch trip, repeat

Old 04-21-2016, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Count me in on this one, just live with it.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
there is a test that you can apparently do by flipping the key back and fourth between off and on like 10 times in 5 secs or something and then the coolant and fuel gauge should go halfway up their particular gauge. gotta do some more research on the test and then try this on my wifes car to see if that is her problem

Old 05-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
I have both sending units for sale if someone wants. $85 shipped. Working pulls from my 05 sedan. Verified by having the proper resistance values by my tech. Just PM me.

They work AFAIK because my problems were with the wiring, guy who had alarm/remote starter installed and nicked a few wires and didn't bother to repair it.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:18 PM
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts
First off there is no such thing as a jet pump inside the tank and if the dealer told you that then they are the biggest bunch of dumbasses on the planet. The only 2 electrical connections going to the tank are 1 on the fuel pump/sender and 1 on the sub unit. The only thing in the tank that helps with leveling is a tube going from one side to the other. You wasted your money buying an entire gas tank. Only thing than cause fuel gauge inaccuracy are the pump and sub unit or the fuel gauge.

The following users liked this post:
Quickstart (10-11-2022)
Old 05-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I previously mentioned I had this problem for a while now.

Low and behold I'm driving today and the check engine light comes on. I get it read and the code is P0462 (Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Low Input).

Now my fuel level gauge is stuck at full all the time. Never moved.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:50 AM
No offense, just curious how the dealer preped you for this expensive journey of fixing nothing?
Did they give it to you straight and say " well we're just going to though 1000's of dollars in parts and labor at it till something works?"

Old 05-07-2016, 06:13 PM
Ive done the sending units twice in a single week. Then they tested the gauge cluster but that wasn't it either. You, my friend, just made the same mistake I did by purchasing a POS Infiniti.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge problem. really really mad now