G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

automatic transmission fluid????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
automatic transmission fluid????

I have a 2006 G35 and I am still using Matic-J ATF Im local dealer doesn't carry it any more so I was wondering what I can use?? any thoughts??? i really don't want to buy it online I would like to just buy it local..

Old 04-17-2016, 08:08 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You can actually still get Matic J on certain websites, but its a waste. There was a service bulletin from Infiniti stating they replaced Matic J fluid with Matic S. That is the required transmission fluid now. They are still the same transmission fluid, just that Matic S is the synthetic version of Matic J.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:08 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Matic S is the new fluid - no issues, been running it since 70K in my G, and have 110K on it now.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:31 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I been using this for two years without issues:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291716681915

It's just as good as Nissan fluid and a lot cheaper, I just bought 12 qts. for about 5.70 each.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:30 PM
Can you mix J and S or do I have to do a full flush?

Old 04-18-2016, 06:33 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by pike
I have a 2006 G35 and I am still using Matic-J ATF Im local dealer doesn't carry it any more so I was wondering what I can use?? any thoughts??? i really don't want to buy it online I would like to just buy it local..
I use castrol multi vehicle import. 213k miles cant be wrong.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:36 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I have only run matic S. I just hop on Ebay and find the cheapest vendor selling it and buy in bulk.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by The Fixer
Matic S is the new fluid - no issues, been running it since 70K in my G, and have 110K on it now.
Same here, 40K deep on Matic S and all is well.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 5150DS
I use castrol multi vehicle import. 213k miles cant be wrong.
I did this for my first round of drain and fill. Then I found their synthetic stuff and i'm using that now.

Castrol TRANSMAX™ FULL SYNTHETIC MULTI-VEHICLE

and here's the datasheet showing that it is spec'ed for JASO 1A
Data Sheet

The following users liked this post:
Bmr911 (05-22-2019)
Old 04-19-2016, 09:57 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by The Fixer

Aw that's baby miles

I did my first drain/fill with Matic S around 50K miles. I'm at 170K now.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:45 PM
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Hey guys, not to thread Jack but I've heard some pros and cons of replacing your transmission fluid. Should it be done, and why?

Old 04-19-2016, 02:28 PM
Transmissions generate lots of heat. Heat will break down the oil's ability to lubricate properly and then your clutch packs will wear down and lose material. When your clutch packs lose material they start slipping and don't become effective at transferring the work from the engine to the wheels.

The danger comes when you don't change fluid regularly. The clutch material will actually become suspended in the fluid and that will keep the transmission from slipping. So, because the suspended clutch material is whats keeping the transmission working properly when you replace the fluid with new clean fluid, the transmission is now slipping and shitty. This is what causes the myth of transmission fluid changes break your transmission.

Flushes take this a step further and replace ALL the fluid but it also usually puts some pressure in the system, or detergents or reverses the flow, so this will dislodge the material and it will now go into other areas of your transmission and make things worse. Generally a flush with a machine using detergents isn't advised. I'm pretty sure a Nissan transmission flush doesn't have any detergents though, just fluid.

so after all that...regularly changing your fluid is recommended, just like motor oil changes. However if the fluid has never been changed and it's a high mileage car, the transmission may be barely holding itself together.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Indecisive
Transmissions generate lots of heat. Heat will break down the oil's ability to lubricate properly and then your clutch packs will wear down and lose material. When your clutch packs lose material they start slipping and don't become effective at transferring the work from the engine to the wheels.

The danger comes when you don't change fluid regularly. The clutch material will actually become suspended in the fluid and that will keep the transmission from slipping. So, because the suspended clutch material is whats keeping the transmission working properly when you replace the fluid with new clean fluid, the transmission is now slipping and shitty. This is what causes the myth of transmission fluid changes break your transmission.

Flushes take this a step further and replace ALL the fluid but it also usually puts some pressure in the system, or detergents or reverses the flow, so this will dislodge the material and it will now go into other areas of your transmission and make things worse. Generally a flush with a machine using detergents isn't advised. I'm pretty sure a Nissan transmission flush doesn't have any detergents though, just fluid.

so after all that...regularly changing your fluid is recommended, just like motor oil changes. However if the fluid has never been changed and it's a high mileage car, the transmission may be barely holding itself together.
Thank you. I have an 06 sedan with 129k miles. From the carfax report it's been serviced and maintained at the dealership and pepboys for regular maintenance all its life. It didn't specify that I got transmission fluid flushes but I'm assuming it's probably been done, especially if it was serviced at the dealership (they'll through anything at you to make money). So would you recommend getting a flush at the dealership? I just got the car back in February 2016.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:45 PM
If you want it all taken care of at all at the same time then yea sure.

I don't like giving dealerships my money though so I do it myself. It really depends on if you want to do a full change or a gradual one. a full change basically entails you disconnecting the transmission cooler return line and filling and pumping out the fluid until the fluid is nice and new. This takes about 11 or 12 quarts of fluid and wasn't something I wanted to do all at once.

I instead opted for the drain and fill method. Basically whenever I do an oil change I also drain the transmission pan and fill it up with how much i removed. (usually about 4 quarts). each drain and fill will remove approximately 1/3(hence the 4 quarts of 11) so you have to do this multiple times. I'm on my second round of drain and fill and my fluid was really bad the first round and its a bit better this time around. In the long run I'll end up using more fluid because I will never had completely clean fluid cause it keeps mixing old and new fluid but eventually it will be "good enough" for me.

I do them with my oil changes, so by the time I change the fluid, the new stuff i added in is about 10,000km old so it doesn't look compltely new. I'm estimating I need to do at least 2 more drain/fills until I'm happy with it in the long term lol.

You could do it all in the same day by doing a drain and fill, drive around and come back, do another drain and fill and repeat until you're satisfied with the stuff coming out being clean enough. But I've got a small child and have very little time so my oil changes/transmission changes and work on the car are usually done at like 11pm after the wife and my son have gone to bed on the weekend.

if you're doing it yourself remember to get crush washers. This is really one of the only things I buy from the dealership. It uses the same one as the oil pan, so whenever I go I usually buy 4 - 6 washers.

The following users liked this post:
haynV35 (03-09-2020)
Old 04-19-2016, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Indecisive
If you want it all taken care of at all at the same time then yea sure.

I don't like giving dealerships my money though so I do it myself. It really depends on if you want to do a full change or a gradual one. a full change basically entails you disconnecting the transmission cooler return line and filling and pumping out the fluid until the fluid is nice and new. This takes about 11 or 12 quarts of fluid and wasn't something I wanted to do all at once.

I instead opted for the drain and fill method. Basically whenever I do an oil change I also drain the transmission pan and fill it up with how much i removed. (usually about 4 quarts). each drain and fill will remove approximately 1/3(hence the 4 quarts of 11) so you have to do this multiple times. I'm on my second round of drain and fill and my fluid was really bad the first round and its a bit better this time around. In the long run I'll end up using more fluid because I will never had completely clean fluid cause it keeps mixing old and new fluid but eventually it will be "good enough" for me.

I do them with my oil changes, so by the time I change the fluid, the new stuff i added in is about 10,000km old so it doesn't look compltely new. I'm estimating I need to do at least 2 more drain/fills until I'm happy with it in the long term lol.

You could do it all in the same day by doing a drain and fill, drive around and come back, do another drain and fill and repeat until you're satisfied with the stuff coming out being clean enough. But I've got a small child and have very little time so my oil changes/transmission changes and work on the car are usually done at like 11pm after the wife and my son have gone to bed on the weekend.

if you're doing it yourself remember to get crush washers. This is really one of the only things I buy from the dealership. It uses the same one as the oil pan, so whenever I go I usually buy 4 - 6 washers.
Thanks bro. Sounds like alot of work and I work 6 days a week, the day I have off I use it to rest and relax so im prolly gonna take it some where and do a complete flush eventually.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: automatic transmission fluid????