G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Using Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2005 | 04:40 PM
|
Using Oil

Is anyone having trouble with there sedan using oil???

I just did an oil change this weekend and it seems that I must be using oil some how? I change it every 3k to 4K or every month which ever comes first.

I drive it fast not too hard but fast and use Mobile one. The dipstick is useless but now I am concerned I have about 56K on the 03 sedan and I only drained about 2.5 or 3 quarts out of it.

Old 02-28-2005 | 07:42 PM
I don't do my own changes, but some is in the filter and may not come out through the oil pan. Has the amount you got out changed over time? Why is the dipstick useless (aside from being tough to put back in the dark!).

Old 02-28-2005 | 07:57 PM
|
I always do my own oil changes, I don't trust most places that offer oil changes because of all the horror stories I hear (striped out oil plugs, loose filters ect...)

I always change the filter and drain it into the pan with the used oil out of the engine, but this time I only had 2.5 to 3 quarts. I don’t think I am burning it but, I must be, I park in my garage every night and there is nothing leaking.

I am concerned!!! It been a great ride and with 56K on it if it's using oil that's a huge problem. The dipstick is a joke! Have you ever tried to use it? It's hard to get out, hard to get back in and impossible to read.

I was just wondering if anyone esle has noticed this?

Old 02-28-2005 | 08:01 PM
Howdy!
Originally Posted by Bababo
I always do my own oil changes, I don't trust most places that offer oil changes because of all the horror stories I hear (striped out oil plugs, loose filters ect...)

I always change the filter and drain it into the pan with the used oil out of the engine, but this time I only had 2.5 to 3 quarts. I don’t think I am burning it but, I must be, I park in my garage every night and there is nothing leaking.

I am concerned!!! It been a great ride and with 56K on it if it's using oil that's a huge problem. The dipstick is a joke! Have you ever tried to use it? It's hard to get out, hard to get back in and impossible to read.

I was just wondering if anyone esle has noticed this?
You need to start checking your oil more often. It's the only way you'll find out what is possibly going on.

Old 02-28-2005 | 10:15 PM
There has been some history with many members' VQs consuming oil. Apparently consuming 1 qt. per 4K is normal, although some members claim that they experience zero oil consumption, and others more. Personally my VQ consumes anywhere from 3/4 to 1.5 qts per 4K.

I just changed my oil this weekend with 4K on the oil, Pennzoil 10W30, and drained just about 4 qts. out, counting what's in the filter and the small amount extracted for analysis. I check my oil regularly and mid-week the reading on the dipstick was about 3/4, indicating (I thought) that I was about 1/4 qt. low. So even being a full qt. low of the 5 qt. capacity, the dipstick still gave me a "safe" reading. Go figure.

This is how you check your oil:
After the engine has been driven long enough to attain regular operating temperature, park on a level surface and shut off the car. After approx. ten minutes, remove the dipstick and wipe with a clean cloth. Wait 30 seconds then re-insert the dipstick. Extract immediately and you should have a measurement that's fairly easy to read. I'd say an accurate measurement but after getting a reading at the 3/4 mark when I'm low a qt., I'm not sure how accurate this dipstick is.

By the way, I have 44,xxx on my 03.5 G sedan. Ran Mobil1 from 7,500 on the odometer with 7,500 mile intervals. Didn't like the oil analysis results, so switched back to dino at 40K. Plan to do at least two dino intervals (4K ea.) and see what analysis tells me, then make a decision on future oil and interval usage.

Old 02-28-2005 | 10:36 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
What didn't you like on the analysis?????? What do you think changing back to dino will solve except possibly making something minor into something major by not investigating the analysis reort ????? Did you use an 'OEM' oil filter or something on a par with the quality of the oil (Mobil1) like a K&N ??? JBX

Old 03-01-2005 | 04:35 AM
Sedan
Originally Posted by Bababo
Is anyone having trouble with there sedan using oil???

I just did an oil change this weekend and it seems that I must be using oil some how? I change it every 3k to 4K or every month which ever comes first.

I drive it fast not too hard but fast and use Mobile one. The dipstick is useless but now I am concerned I have about 56K on the 03 sedan and I only drained about 2.5 or 3 quarts out of it.
You need to keep a VERY close eye on this. I had the 30k service done which includes an oil change. One thousand miles later I had engine failure due to excessive oil consumption. The dealer said I only had 2.5 quarts left. So my G used 3.5 quarts in 1000 miles. I think you should take it to the dealer and tell them you want to have your oil level monitored.

Old 03-01-2005 | 08:22 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Question

Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
You need to keep a VERY close eye on this. I had the 30k service done which includes an oil change. One thousand miles later I had engine failure due to excessive oil consumption. The dealer said I only had 2.5 quarts left. So my G used 3.5 quarts in 1000 miles. I think you should take it to the dealer and tell them you want to have your oil level monitored.
Gee, wadda ya think ...a co-winkydink or what? Car goes in fine.....comes out with engine cancer? Sounds like the mechanic should be monitored, as well, Bones . My oil gets checked almost everyday before I start my day. It's like brush'n your teeth....it's just someth'n ya get used ta do'in....no? Get your hands dirty and do it yourself (and send a sample in for analysis!!!).....then ya know it's been done right . JBX

Last edited by JustBrilliantX; 03-01-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-01-2005 | 10:07 AM
Sedan
The Service Manager sh*t hot coals when I suggested it was his people's fault. He blamed my CAI and exhaust for the engine failure. Needless to say there was one hell of an ordeal on my hands. In the end, justice prevailed and they replaced my engine under warranty.

Old 03-01-2005 | 11:46 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Thumbs down

That's where engine oil analysis comes in to play in backing you up. Oviously they had NO way of being able to prove that your baby mods had a da*m thing to do with the frigg'n engine failure . Funny it JUST happened after they had the vehicle in the shop? What about the other G- Da*n 30,000 miles....? Wadda they say'n..ya did the mods at 29,990 miles? Did the oil consumption just start, or was it prevelant all along (or you're not sure)?

Last edited by JustBrilliantX; 03-01-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-01-2005 | 07:21 PM
Sedan
Originally Posted by JustBrilliantX
That's where engine oil analysis comes in to play in backing you up. Oviously they had NO way of being able to prove that your baby mods had a da*m thing to do with the frigg'n engine failure . Funny it JUST happened after they had the vehicle in the shop? What about the other G- Da*n 30,000 miles....? Wadda they say'n..ya did the mods at 29,990 miles? Did the oil consumption just start, or was it prevelant all along (or you're not sure)?
Since I left the oil changes up to the dealership, I have no way of knowing when the oil consumption started. If they new anything, they didn't tell me. They tried their hardest to blame my mods, but they had zero proof. They tried to wait me out too, they had my car for a total of nine weeks.

Old 03-01-2005 | 07:57 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Exclamation

This, my good lil' G heads, is a perfect case in point of why it's so important FOR YOU to keep abreast of your car's condition and any unusual bad habits they develop. Keep all reciepts from oil, filters, parts, etc. that you do yourself, and the mileage at which these servicings were done should be documented as frig'n well. You can always throw your OEM air box and **** back on before Dealer done critical servicings for added piece o' mind. Dig it Damit JBX