G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan
View Poll Results: Rebuild it or no and get a newer car?
Get a newer car (recommend one)
87.50%
Keep the 2003 G35 Sedan and rebuild the engine (I love the sound!)
12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Rebuild Engine or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Rebuild Engine or not?

Hey guys so I have a 2003 Infiniti G35 Sedan Automatic. It is the sports luxury version and I want to get the engine rebuilt. It runs fine but I would just prefer for it to run like new. It currently has 212K miles on it. Any advice? I asked for a quote at a good reputable shop in Houston. They said about $5,500 for taking out out, rebuilding, and putting it back in. Let's say I wanted to supercharge it in the future as well. Would all this be a good idea?

Old 03-21-2017, 08:59 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
I would not have someone else do a rebuild of my current power plant like that. I would just get an Imports Parts Pro built engine, choosing the one that matches up with your ultimate power goals. They are going to have a lot more experience with this engine. It will also reduce your down time considerably.

The following users liked this post:
RafaM99 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestion! Import Parts Pro is actually just an hour drive away from my location. I'll see into their engines.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:30 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
OK let me get this straight. You want to drop more money into an engine rebuild that the 14 year old car's worth and also has over 200K miles then add a supercharger which if done properly will cost another $8000 or more?

Either you're rich as hell or we need to have a talk about fiscal responsibility. You'd be better off buying a newer G with far less miles then go from there with your SC plans. You'll have a ton of other expenses doing routine maintenance and repairs on your current 03 than you are probably planning for.

The following 2 users liked this post by Blue Dream:
RafaM99 (03-22-2017), telcoman (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
OK let me get this straight. You want to drop more money into an engine rebuild that the 14 year old car's worth and also has over 200K miles then add a supercharger which if done properly will cost another $8000 or more?

Either you're rich as hell or we need to have a talk about fiscal responsibility. You'd be better off buying a newer G with far less miles then go from there with your SC plans. You'll have a ton of other expenses doing routine maintenance and repairs on your current 03 than you are probably planning for.
You're right. After looking at all the costs of everything I decided I will just sell it and get another one. Thanks for your response.

Blue Dream (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:01 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
sell it and move on

Old 03-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, I have a 03 with mileage and some issues arising. Nothing catastrophic but it's an old car at this point.

I thought about bringing it back to it's former glory but it's just simply not financially worth it, especially when considering the values that the 03-04's sell for now.

My decision would be so much easier if Emerald Mist was offered on the later model year cars. The color is why I fell in love and bought the car, and it's why I am considering/willing to put the work into it. I love the some of the unique colors Infiniti chose for these cars. My next car may be a Malbec Black G37s sedan when i'm finished with my car, it's still got some good life left in it though (knock on wood)

Old 03-25-2017, 08:15 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
If the car is paid for, putting a new or rebuilt engine in it is going to be cheaper than a new car. With 200k+ miles, you'd probably get $3000 on trade-in, maybe $4000 if you sell it outright. Buy a $20k used car and you owe $16-17k. And that's fine if you don't like your current car or are just tired of it.

But if you like it, and keep it another 5 years and maybe spend $750 a year on maintenance and repairs, even with the cost of a rebuilt or already built up engine will be about half of what a newer $20k car would end up costing you over 5 years and that's assuming minimal repairs and maintenance on the newer car.

I had to put a 2nd transmission in my Accord last summer. Even with 219k miles on it, the car is otherwise in excellent shape. The original transmission died at around 157k, the shop that rebuilt it added an external cooler...and apparently didn't make sure the lines they pulled out of the box were clean inside. 60k miles later, it was done. Had another shop go through it (didn't trust the first shop), he found the packing material in the cooler lines. He also put in a shift kit that addresses the issues the V6 Accord transmission have. Yeah, it was almost $2600 and the car had a lot of miles on it. But I wouldn't have got squat for it selling it with a dead transmission, the car has been paid for since I bought it for cash in 2011. Still otherwise drives great and is perfect for my business. So for what would have been the same cost as 5 monthly payments, I have a car I should easily get another 100k miles out of. And since I'd already bought my G35 prior to the transmission issue, I wasn't nearly as hot to get something new as I otherwise might have been.

achappell (09-10-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.