G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Official "Random Airbag/SRS Light" Thread: Lets find a permanent fix!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Official "Random Airbag/SRS Light" Thread: Lets find a permanent fix!!!

Has anyone one found a common fault or bad connection that typically causes these lights? I've done many searches and there are alot of threads, but the vast majority either end up with no resolution from the original poster, replacing the drivers side airbag module (which is bizarre) or simply replace the whole wiring harness (which is completely ridiculous) ....and sometimes the fix isn't permanent (spending $1800 for a "possible" fix on a $12000 car doesn't make much sense!....especially if it routinely doesn't fix the problem!!!!).

The airbag connector under the seat recall that came out a couple of years ago has nothing to do with the problem.....in fact in many cases, it seems that people started to have SRS light issues after the recall was done.
Alot of people are now over the 6 year/70000 mile warranty for the SRS system and Infiniti/many dealers won't cover the repairs on Goodwill (which doesn't impress me because the airbag/SRS system is a required safety system for the car).

On my car (2005 G35x....owned for 4 years), I've already had the connector recall done. The SRS light was blinking for randomly very occasionally before recall and now has continued to randomly blink much more often after the recall. I am able to reset the light using the key on/off procedure each time. I've gotten a Drivers side seat airbag code once a number of months ago, every other time, it gives me the "no fault found" code. If the drivers seat airbag module was really the problem, I should be seeing the code almost every time. Lately I've noticed the airbag light illuminate all of a sudden when simply driving down a street (no bumps, no sharp turns, nothing unusual happened to cause it to illuminate).

It is REALLY irritating on what is otherwise a really nice car, that a very important piece of safety equipement is acting extremely flakey. If I can't find a permanent fix soon, this car will be sold and I will not be buying another Infiniti/Nissan product again (a senitment that I've seen on many posts!!!).

So in summary, has anyone found a connector, a common bad spot in the wiring harness, or a (cheap!) piece in the SRS system that typically goes bad and is easy (and cheap!) to permanently fix?? I'm not going to get the dealer to randomly replace $1800 modules/computers/harnesses, especially when there is alot of evidence on these threads that the fix may not be permanent.

Looking forward to the responses!!! (and the permanent solution....which I hope is not "Sell the car").

Old 06-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
I had the same issue, two months after the recall my airbag light came on. Brought it back and was told it was the crash zone sensor: Crash Zone Sensor fail after airbag recall. My airbag light never came on before the recall, so I believe it must have been something done during the recall. Plus after I did the reset (it came on twice) the light stayed off so I'm sure the sensors and the airbags are fine.

I am almost certain the cause is the driver/passenger seat airbag connectors that were being worked on. When I remove my seat I noticed the airbag connectors were zip-tied with ePoxy applied, I know that's done according to the TSB but I think it actually caused the problem. I've swapped seats since then and the light never came back on (knock on wood). Anyway what I'm trying to say is if you never had any issue on it before, and all of a sudden the problem started showing up after it's been worked on, it's obvious to me that something was done incorrectly.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 PM
The light did come on once or twice before the recall was done. I was told the recall should fix the issue. Unfortunately, it has just gotten steadily worse since the recall was completed (and really bad in the last 6 months). I have taken it back a couple of times and the last time they did indicate that the most likely culprit was the drivers side (seat) airbag, however I have checked the code multiple times myself and have only gotten the seat code once (the light is literally coming on every other day now) . Every other time I've checked and reset it, I've gotten "no fault" which is unbelieveably frustrating.

I'm going to be really PO'd if I pay the dealer $800 to replace that airbag module and the light comes on again a few days later (as has happened to a number of other people in other posts).

Old 06-22-2012, 03:06 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
I doubt the issue is from any sensor or airbag module itself, IMO it's just bad connection. Try unplug and plug back the driver side seat airbag, the plug is under the seat, so you have to unbolt the seat to get to it. Put everything back and do another airbag reset. If it doesn't come back on then you know you got it fixed.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I had the recall done on the passenger side seat harnesses, (under the seat). The light came back on, and when I reset it, it would stay off for one month and come back on. It got to the point where the SRS light would come on every day.

A few days ago I took my seat out and checked my plugs out. Some plugs had epoxy around the wires. I unplugged them, and plugged them back in a few times. I wiggled the wires a plugged everything back in. Everything is good now. The wiring suckes on these cars,

Old 07-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My light literally came on a few hours ago. I'll try taking the seats out and playing with the wiring and report back. For such a nice car, I'm surprised at all the issues I've run into. I don't think I'll be owning another infiniti once I'm done paying this off.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Thumbs up Problem Solved!!!

It was a bad connection at the connector under the seat that was supposedly "fixed" on the recall.

I took the driver's seat out and observed that the recall had been performed as per Infiniti's directions. The wires were epoxied and the connector assembly was zip-tied together. I cut the zip-tie in order to separate the connector assembly. The zip tie was still partially epoxied to the connectors where it was threaded through the wires, so I just trimmed it up to that point and left the remainder of the zip-tie that was epoxied rather than further disturbing the wires.

I then separated the connector and inspected the contacts. Everything seemed very clean with no corrosion, so I ensured the female end of the contacts were tight and then reconnected the connector. When the connecter is together, it seems that the design allows for some "play" back and forth, I assume for heat expansion. When the connector was zip-tied, this "play" was not possible. I am wondering if with the connector being zip-tied tightly together, it was actually contributing to a bad contact?!?

Anyways, the connector is now basically back in what would have been the original factory condition (no zip-tie holding the connector tightly together, allowing some play in the connection). I did this work a couple of days after I wrote my original post in this thread and the airbag light has not illuminated once in over 6 weeks (as opposed to every other day prior to me undoing the recall), so obviously that was the problem.

I would love to give the Infiniti engineer who came up with the "fix" for the airbag connector a swift kick in the nads for giving many G35 owners alot of unnecessary aggravation (and potentially spending hundreds of dollars for no reason)!!!

In summary, if you have had the airbag connector recall done on the drivers seat in your G35 and you are continually getting a flashing airbag/SRS light with a code that points to the drivers side airbag module, undo the connector recall and that will fix your problem.

The following users liked this post:
TeacherG35 (01-15-2013)
Old 07-29-2012, 03:33 PM
So glad you found a solution to your problem. Ive got the exact same issue right now. I was hoping you would find a solution when I first read your post. Ill report back if this solves my problem too. Thanks again for reporting.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Why dont you just cut the connector out and splice it all together.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:26 PM
I have heard some suggestions that it is often caused by a seatbelt switch and not the airbag connector, but I have never investigated it.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by sonicii
I have heard some suggestions that it is often caused by a seatbelt switch and not the airbag connector, but I have never investigated it.
If you are getting a code for the side (seat) airbag module, it's the connector. Read my solution above.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by neo_anderson302
Why dont you just cut the connector out and splice it all together.
No thanks. If you ever need to take the seat out of the car, you would have to cut the wire again.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:47 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Add these and some resistors and its done. Easy fix

Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
pics of before and after "undoing" the recall would be helpful. I don't wanna get in there and do something wrong because I may be kinda smart but sometimes I'm a moron.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Id also like to see a before and after. If its not too much ask. Thanks in advance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Official "Random Airbag/SRS Light" Thread: Lets find a permanent fix!!!