G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Front Differential Grenaded

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 01:44 PM
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts
1990 Mustang GT - 351W Lightning bored/stroked 383CI TFS heads 78mm Turbonetics huricane
I would guess quite a bit since I bought my 05' for $500 because of this problem. The guy i bought it from left it at the mechanic shop and just put it up on craigslist to dump it off cheap so I'm guessing the quote was quite high But seriously it's probably 10 hours of work for me in a garage with 1 jack and 4-6 jackstands so a shop can do this a bit faster with a lift and two guys. I would guess $800 - $1200 for a small reasonable shop since looking up a online quote for valve cover gaskets is $436 for this car !! If you don't need the car fixed real fast it's also nice to go through everything and replace worn out crap. I just found out that my driver side inner LCA bushing was completely shot so I'm pressing in new ones while it is already apart.

Here is a online diff quote and info that might be useful
How much for front differential replacement

Old 12-07-2018, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking paying say $200 for a used diff and providing it to the shop would be the cheapest option as it's just and R and R and you're done. Having them rebuild the old one would probably add a day on I'm guessing with setting the backlash and all that stuff. Hmm...maybe I should try this myself.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, i finally have a chance to finish off for inspection after having the u joint ear on drive shaft that eroded. Other than a a small wear area on transmission case, a replacement driveshaft and patch, everything appeared fine. On moving it, it took a few convincing nudges to get it going. The car didnt move freely, as she moved the better she got. After a few laps around the block everything seemed fine except a slight vibration and not sure if its driveshaft/differentials or just a rotor issue. but having had the drive shaft shear and flop around, wondering it did some other damage.
I'm going to be pulling each wheel and clean brakes, rotors, replace wipers and 3rd brake light in wing for inspection, but would like to get my smooth ride back.
Any ideas on checking differentials?

Old 08-10-2020, 01:59 PM
G35X - NO OPTIONS
Mine just blew... I will be posting pictures/videos as we go along.... same as everyone else, front u-joint goes and takes out everything else. Bell housing broken and block??? cosmetic.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:52 PM
G35X - NO OPTIONS
G35x front diff.

Originally Posted by scumbagsleeper
To remove the diff.
You will have to remove the Y pipe, Passenger cat, remove transmission cross member, remove front driveshaft, remove driver and passenger side spindle and axles, remove intermediate axle (goes through oil pan into the diff), Passenger motor mount and bracket, at least drop the engine subframe 3-4", drop the steering rack (can leave lines attached). I'm not going to lie it's a lot of work and a little rough fishing it out and in with the engine subframe in the way. I will probably pull the subframe out from now on since it makes the job so much easier and less chance to screw seals up.

About your diff bearings. If you are changing the diff bearings I hope you know how to use gear marking compound and setting gear lash because if you get it together wrong it is going to sound like an airplane when rolling. I would just replace it with a low mileage unit. My diff was $150 shipped and had under 100k miles. It looked brand new inside. Just make sure to get the 03-06 G35x diff because the 07 up,G37, and suv's have a different ratio.
HOW did you get at the engine mount bracket... where it attaches to the engine at the front???

Old 08-22-2020, 10:06 PM
G35X - NO OPTIONS
Video

I made a video of the removal and install.... not much to see.