Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with headlights

All this is how he had it wired

This is everything after I took it off
These are the new bulbs I want to install
well my car HIDs weren’t working when I bought it guy who sold it said all it needed was a new ballast so even though it was complicated finding one as I was looking for stock ballast when I realized this was a aftermarket bulb so I bought a aftermarket ballast and connected everything fairly simple .. anywhoo I install ballast but HID still don’t come on every other light works except Top light that I assume is HID since my other G had the HID there now so now I went and bought New aftermarket HID bulbs to see if that’s the problem but these seem different they have spade connectors to power ballast so I am confused where do they go . other bulbs were already wired so I hit a brick wall since I’ve never done this and it seems it’s harder than just plug and play so I took it upon myself to look at YouTube vids to take it apart and I did but now I noticed guy before me spliced and connected wires and connected to a green a brown wire so now I’m even more lost how does this work ?? Please I need some help it would be much appreciated

Old 07-23-2018, 06:12 AM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
First check to make sure your headlight fuse is good.

Then this is basically how it gets wired up. The red wire is + and black wire is - obviously. U will have to either crimp on female spade connectors to be able to hook up the power wires, or do it the ghetto way and cut the wire ends and twist them together. And when ur done, don’t forget to wrap the exposed connections with some electrical tape.

But but looking at your pics again, it seems you still have the old plug still attached to your wires. You should be able to plug it into the ballast...they’re all universal I think.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (07-24-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Yeah... highly recommend you retrofit as these super budget HID kits are known to catch fire or have bad output.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Yeah... highly recommend you retrofit as these super budget HID kits are known to catch fire or have bad output.
I disagree...I’ve been running mostly DDM Tuning and a few other cheaper HID kits for years now. The only issue I ran into was a slightly flickering bulb on one of the cheaper kits.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:13 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The biggest issue with cheap ballasts is capacitor longevity. You will never get the same lifespan out of a trash chinesium capacitor as a high end japanese one, that applies to ALL electronics not just instant-start ballasts.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
The biggest issue with cheap ballasts is capacitor longevity. You will never get the same lifespan out of a trash chinesium capacitor as a high end japanese one, that applies to ALL electronics not just instant-start ballasts.
Maybe....but at $50 for a whole kit...I’m satisfied if it lasts me anything more than 5 years.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Retrofit or bust

Old 07-23-2018, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

I've read too many stories of the cheap things catching on fire that I won't run them. DDM is the best of the low priced options.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:13 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by Scorpi0

Maybe....but at $50 for a whole kit...I’m satisfied if it lasts me anything more than 5 years.
You'll be lucky to get 6-12 months out of the cheap stuff. Try a wrecking yard to see if they have OEM ballasts.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:50 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
I've been going through a $10 ballast every 6 months on my ebay lights. I order them two at a time and keep the spare in my trunk. I also have flickering and terrible light output but they're also irreparably crazed and so faded they won't pass inspection.

No fires yet. Retrofit is planned at the same time I fix the nonexistent clear on my front bumper.

Last edited by cswlightning; 07-23-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
I've been going through a $10 ballast every 6 months on my ebay lights. I order them two at a time and keep the spare in my trunk. I also have flickering and terrible light output but they're also irreparably crazed and so faded they won't pass inspection.

No fires yet. Retrofit is planned at the same time I fix the nonexistent clear on my front bumper.
Go DDM and be done with it. I actually have a cheap HID kit on my bike which has been going strong for about 7 years already lol.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:13 AM
Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I've been using ddm hids for more than 4 years not 1 issue

Old 07-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

The issue is you have bad output with them lol. Other guy.. make a for sale post.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:59 PM
Thank you man I appreciate it helped a whole lot

Then this is basically how it gets wired up. The red wire is + and black wire is - obviously. U will have to either crimp on female spade connectors to be able to hook up the power wires, or do it the ghetto way and cut the wire ends and twist them together. And when ur done, don’t forget to wrap the exposed connections with some electrical tape.

But but looking at your pics again, it seems you still have the old plug still attached to your wires. You should be able to plug it into the ballast...they’re all universal I think.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:43 AM
What would be the power wire? to connect the spade connectors to power my ballast ? I can’t find any stock connections for these bulbs on my headlights or anything just two random wires everyone says the spades go to the stock harness or something but the problem is these headlights don’t have any ?? So where do I get power from ? I hit a wall here help would be appreciated
I don’t want to go around messing with wires I don’t have to

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Help with headlights