G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Is my G gone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 07:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is my G gone?

Yesterday night as I was getting out of work I notice my car (AT) transmission would not accelerate on park or reverse.you really needed to step on it for it to move a little bit but then you lost control.As I left out of my parking spot I notice I huge puddle of what seems to be either trans oil or motor oil.I recently got my trans oil changed last week when I installed my new radiator so I’m blaming it on that.Anyways is my car done for or is there hope?

Old 12-16-2018, 08:14 PM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Probably not

Unless you noticed problems before then it's not likely your trans is bad, yet. You need to check your transmission oil dipstick. Get the car to operating temp, switch through each gear, then check it with car running. If it's low then there's probably not enough pressure to switch gears properly
Take it back to the mechanic who changed the radiator, because the two are probably related

Old 12-16-2018, 11:28 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
It's possible the cooler lines that attach to the radiator blew off. I would check the lines on the bottom before you start the car again; I wouldn't even turn it on without doing that first. If they look all wet and leaking; I would call the shop and try to get them to have it towed. Make you sure use Nissan compatible fluid; I like Idemitsu Type J, however, I've used Valvonine Maxlife ATF in my other cars as well with success. I believe the Valvoline is Nissan compatible as well.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by coffeysm
It's possible the cooler lines that attach to the radiator blew off. I would check the lines on the bottom before you start the car again; I wouldn't even turn it on without doing that first. If they look all wet and leaking; I would call the shop and try to get them to have it towed. Make you sure use Nissan compatible fluid; I like Idemitsu Type J, however, I've used Valvonine Maxlife ATF in my other cars as well with success. I believe the Valvoline is Nissan compatible as well.
too late for that smh I already drove my car to my mechanic in this condition which is like a 14 min drive I hope everything is okay I’ll get my answer tomorrow 😰

Old 12-17-2018, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
PSA buy towing through AAA or Good Sam Roadside. You can't be risking your car in moments like these. They will tow your car to the closest capable mechanic... and you can always make an argument for your own mech.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
PSA buy towing through AAA or Good Sam Roadside. You can't be risking your car in moments like these. They will tow your car to the closest capable mechanic... and you can always make an argument for your own mech.
thank you guys turns out it was my trans cooler line on my radiator that popped.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:40 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Did the shop handle it or say "what a coincidence?". I'd also ask them what type of fluid they put in...

Old 12-17-2018, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by coffeysm
Did the shop handle it or say "what a coincidence?". I'd also ask them what type of fluid they put in...
the shop wasn’t picking up their phone so I went to another reputable shop around my area and they were really nice and shamed the previous mechanic who installed my radiator lol

Old 12-17-2018, 03:58 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_

thank you guys turns out it was my trans cooler line on my radiator that popped.
That happened to my son's BMW about 4-5 weeks after a new motor was put in.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:33 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Always a good idea to do your own work if you're able. The shop that did the work is responsible. If they don't make it right, sue'em!

Old 12-17-2018, 07:18 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
G35C 5AT
Knew it would be the trans cooler line; my car had the exact same leak just after an entire transmission install. Seems to be a common problem to not attach them correctly/test them at all.

The shop that initially installed needs to take the hit for that, that could've easily caused some huge damage.