G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Front Suspension 'Overhaul'

Old 02-03-2019, 09:50 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Front Suspension 'Overhaul'

Before I move to another province for my career I want to get rid of all the creaking in my front suspension. 2005 G35X, 84,600 miles.

I'm going to be replacing both compression rods, both front lower control arms and both outer tie rods. Compression rod bushings are shot and I want to replace the ball joint as well. Control arm bushings are squeaking, and an entire new control arm with both bushings is only $20 more than a set of bushings alone (rockauto for the win). One of my outer tie rods needs to be replaced so I'm going to do both for peace of mind.The upper control arms, as well as their bushings are still perfect

I'm well aware that the LCA & compression rod bushings are the main culprits on our vehicles. I'm curious, has there been significant cases of other squeaky bushings in the front? Other than sway bar bushings, what is another good member on the front suspension to have a look at?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-03-2019, 10:14 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
FUCA bushings on the chassis pivot and can definitely squeak. With urethane bushings they require greasing every other oil change but OEM rubber will make noise when worn.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sway bar end links might be worth a look at. The ball joints on mine had worn out and started to make a bit of noise as well. If you're buying from Rockauto, I'd recommend the Moog ones. They're grease-able and seemed to be as good quality if not better than the OEM ones imo.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:11 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
For the LCA you can get poly bushings and reuse your current arm for a less expensive repair plus a durability and performance upgrade.

End links are a wear item IMO every ~60k depending on how and where you drive. I also recommend Moog, I've got one on my car that's been on for at least 40k and it's still nice and tight even though it's welded onto the sway bar by rust.

I have Whiteline polyurethane bushings everywhere in the front suspension, greased them on install according to the instructions, and daily driven for two summers and tough winters so far with no squeaking whatsoever.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
For the LCA you can get poly bushings and reuse your current arm for a less expensive repair plus a durability and performance upgrade.

End links are a wear item IMO every ~60k depending on how and where you drive. I also recommend Moog, I've got one on my car that's been on for at least 40k and it's still nice and tight even though it's welded onto the sway bar by rust.

I have Whiteline polyurethane bushings everywhere in the front suspension, greased them on install according to the instructions, and daily driven for two summers and tough winters so far with no squeaking whatsoever.
I've heard the end links on the front can be a bitch to get off the sway bar.

I do like the idea of polyurethane bushings, I really do. However, I've read a ton of threads and done my own research outside this forum and sadly, it does not seem like many people share your experience with the squeaking

Old 02-04-2019, 06:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sway bar links weren't too bad for me. I hit the bolts with PB Blaster a few times the day before I did the work so that may have helped some. There was a moment or two where I needed to slightly jack up the knuckle or turn the wheel a bit to get a wrench or ratchet to clear something else. If you're already taking off the LCA's, you'll kick yourself if you have to go back and replace these sometime in the near future anyway.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by johndom450
Sway bar links weren't too bad for me. I hit the bolts with PB Blaster a few times the day before I did the work so that may have helped some. There was a moment or two where I needed to slightly jack up the knuckle or turn the wheel a bit to get a wrench or ratchet to clear something else. If you're already taking off the LCA's, you'll kick yourself if you have to go back and replace these sometime in the near future anyway.
Super valid.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:11 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by fitgineer_93
I've heard the end links on the front can be a bitch to get off the sway bar.

I do like the idea of polyurethane bushings, I really do. However, I've read a ton of threads and done my own research outside this forum and sadly, it does not seem like many people share your experience with the squeaking
It's your call in the end but the Whiteline poly bushings have dimples inside the bushing between the poly and the metal inner shell. Once you fill those with the provided grease and press the inner metal shell in, that grease isn't coming out for a long, long time. Anybody who is getting squeaking either must not be using common sense and greasing everything that touches metal-to-poly or they're using Energy or Prothane bushings that don't have the dimples allowing the grease to come out over time. Tons of people on here have the Whitelines with no problems.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:22 PM
This is what I'm looking at getting so far.

Beck/Arnley compression rods w/ ball joints. Part numbers 1027856 and 1027857
Beck/Arnley front lower control arms. Part numbers 1028046 and 1028047
Beck/Arnley lower ball joints (the ones that are in the steering knuckle). Part number 1018041

Moog outer tie rod ends. Part numbers ES80578 and ES80579
Moog swar bar links. Part numbers K750140 and K750141
Moog sway bar bushings. Part number K200845

This should put everything back nice and tight in the front end. If I get any squeaking from the upper control arms, I'm just going to replace the bushings as the ball joints are still perfect. $483.60 taxes in with shipping is a bargain for all of this.

Interestingly, some of the front lower control arms come with the bushing/ball joint in the middle of the arm, and some do not. I chose to go with the arm that does have it.