G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Car intermittently cranks, eventually starts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 door sedan, basic model
Car intermittently cranks, eventually starts

Hello, am new here and would appreciate some advice. I've searched here and Google and not seeing much for my issue but perhaps I'm wrong.

Just bought a 06 g35 sedan with 126k few months ago. Everything has been smooth until I took a trip to San Diego from Arizona. At the beach when I returned a few hours later, and turned the key, it cranked, I repeated that about 3-4 times and eventually it started. That was just a one time occurrence. Since then it was worked great, except for today a week late, I sent to an Airshow and upon returning to my car a few hours later it cranked again, and after 3-4 attempts of turning car on it turned on. Any thoughts on battery, fuel pump etc? I haven't taken it in, but just wanted some insight before I take it into shop. Car runs fine once it gets going. Car also starts and turns off normally after I try and repeat issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 03-24-2019, 10:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 Sedan
Any check engine light thrown?
In addition to what you think (might not be battery as it sounds like it cranking over sufficiently), could be the crankshaft position sensor.
I'm dealing with that now as well, but my car starts fine, but throws the code.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:29 PM
Received 372 Likes on 339 Posts
Sounds like the crankshaft position sensor. Im sure the check engine light is on. Read the code and see what it says.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 door sedan, basic model
Thanks for the replies so far. As i can recall, when I turn the key to try and turn the ignition on, all the lights on the dashboard turn on, more than likely the check engine is one of those lights. However after the 4th or so attempt when the car turns on, all those lights go off, and there is no check engine light - it looks normal. I am going to call the dealer today as it is still under the limited 3 month/3000 mile warranty, so I will see what they say.

This morning going the car started just fine as well.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:24 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Jusdrewit
I've searched here and Google and not seeing much for my issue but perhaps I'm wrong.

Any thoughts on battery, fuel pump etc? I haven't taken it in, but just wanted some insight before I take it into shop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Your help is right here in the forum. I'm stumped though on how you didn't come up with any assistance on Google or here while you were searching. Rough, intermittent starts/stalling/running rough are some of the most common problems with higher mileage G35s. Be clear and concise on exactly what your issue is in your search. I got this to come up in a quick Google search, took about half a second: https://www.google.com/search?biw=12...iz.IEpirdVxgl0

Please read through the forum rules, they will set the expectation we have of you and your membership. One of them is searching for answers before posting questions, hopefully we've pointed you in the right direction to make your searches more productive.

We endorse Google as a superior resource for answers to questions you might have about your car. The search function here is pretty lame. As mentioned above the first step to take when you have an electrical issue is check the dash for a SES light. If it's lit it will direct you to the exact issue that's causing your issue. Pull the DTC/s (diagnostic trouble code) with a scanner or take it to just about any auto parts store to have the codes read if you can't do it yourself. This will save you tons of time money and frustration as will the ability to do simple repairs yourself. 3 of the most common causes of your problem are the 2 camshaft position sensors, crankshaft position sensor or a failing battery. As cars have become more computerized a bad battery can cause all sorts of issues you might not think would be related to a battery. Keep us in the loop about what your problem was and how it was fixed. You might help out the next guy who has the same issues and not even know it.

Welcome to the family and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Old 04-01-2019, 01:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35x Sedan 4DR AWD
First things first check your battery voltage, ground connections, starter, alternator, overrunning alternator decoupler, maf sensor, fuel pump, spark plugs, and coil packs. Long list, but all things that could be causing your problem. Hope this helps!