G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Which rubber to use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which rubber to use?

I'm about ready to swap out my OEM crap sneakers and thought I'd get a few suggetions. I'm torn between the Michelin Pilot Sport and Avon M550 and am looking for a little feedback. Price is not the major criteria, but I'm leaning towards the Avon as being the most bang for the buck....No? Any input is appreciated. JBX

Attached Thumbnails Which rubber to use?-dscf0014.jpg  
Old 03-08-2005, 08:21 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
That's always a tough one....
I depends a lot on how you use the car.
Your location; one set all year, or switch out summer & winter etc.

FWIW
I have a set of the new Toyo T1-R on order to replace
my Yoko ES100 from last year. (still on snows right now )

Obviously can't comment on the Toyos yet but the
Yokos were a good tire for the price, they did get a little
noisy with wear but not terrible, rain perf could have been
a little better.........
All in all a good every day street tire.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
OEM in the winter.......and always very aggressive. Whether it's from a red light or on the twisties, I'm stomp'n on the devil with the pedal to the metal. ..lol thanx, JBX

Old 03-08-2005, 09:57 AM
OEMs

The 04 OEMs were a better tire than the 05 OEMs which are the TL42s which are crap in the snow even with the x model...

The michelin pilot sport a/s seem to get great ratings on tirerack... the 235/50 WR17... I would assume the slightly lower profile will improive handling a bit and this tire is much better in snow, etc.

202.00 a tire though...

Old 03-08-2005, 10:59 AM
I switched to Yokohama AVS db S2, which have worked out great for me [given that they are all seasons], though I don't experienc snow conditions here in Los Angeles.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll keep my OEM Goodyear RS-As for winter use. For summer, I am going to Yokohama AVS ES100s in the 245/40/18 variety. The ES 100s are great in the dry and very good in the wet. So far, tread noise isn't bad at all.

Old 03-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my F1-GSD3's. They're pricy but ohmigosh they are SO sticky. 235/50-17's. They look nice too. Check out reviews on tirerack.com to help your decision process but you prolly already knew that.

..If it's just between those two I'd go with the known.. Avon's have had some good reviews but just haven't seen enough people who have had them for long enough to help me make a decision. I've had Pilot Sports before and liked them a lot too. Pilot Sport A/S or Pilot Sport? The Pilot Sport A/S's are nice, the Pilot Sport's (summer tire) are NICE NICE.

Last edited by doogie; 03-09-2005 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
That's why I thought I'd ask here...I trust the practical experience of the people here vs. the reviews on tire rack. Cool,Thanx, JBX

Old 03-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by mickey3c
The 04 OEMs were a better tire than the 05 OEMs which are the TL42s which are crap in the snow even with the x model...

The michelin pilot sport a/s seem to get great ratings on tirerack... the 235/50 WR17... I would assume the slightly lower profile will improive handling a bit and this tire is much better in snow, etc.

202.00 a tire though...
Michelin tires offer a superb amount of engineering for the modest price of $202/tire. These are probably the most advanced 4 season tires available. Between the three rubber compounds to maximize performance in dry, wet and cold weather conditions, there's the Aramid reinforcements that maintain the tire's shape at high speeds.

So, you've got to ask yourself a question when you're popping the 100mph mark, did my tire manufacturer use Aramid (Michelin) or polyester (Avon) cord to hold this tire together? Well, what was it?

I think the G35 deserves an extraordinary tire for the levels of performance it is capable of delivering. That's why I opted for the Michelins. But I for one, have seen the difference between a story that contains "... I almost.." and one that contains "... there wasn't time/space to ..." That difference can be the tires. But, it's up to you to determine your sensitivity to these possibilities.

Regarding mickey3c's suggestion that the 235/50/17 are lower profile. Sorry, the "50" in the tire's spec is the sidewall height expressed as a ratio of the tread width. As such, it has almost the exact same size sidewall as the 215/55/17 tire. That's why it's recommended as a appropriate substitute for the 215/55/17 tire, because it is almost the exact same diameter (both run on the same 17" rim) and as such has almost no difference for the speedo.

Cale

Old 03-10-2005, 06:32 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Originally Posted by calejohnson
Michelin tires offer a superb amount of engineering for the modest price of $202/tire. These are probably the most advanced 4 season tires available. Between the three rubber compounds to maximize performance in dry, wet and cold weather conditions, there's the Aramid reinforcements that maintain the tire's shape at high speeds.

So, you've got to ask yourself a question when you're popping the 100mph mark, did my tire manufacturer use Aramid (Michelin) or polyester (Avon) cord to hold this tire together? Well, what was it?

I think the G35 deserves an extraordinary tire for the levels of performance it is capable of delivering. That's why I opted for the Michelins. But I for one, have seen the difference between a story that contains "... I almost.." and one that contains "... there wasn't time/space to ..." That difference can be the tires. But, it's up to you to determine your sensitivity to these possibilities.

Regarding mickey3c's suggestion that the 235/50/17 are lower profile. Sorry, the "50" in the tire's spec is the sidewall height expressed as a ratio of the tread width. As such, it has almost the exact same size sidewall as the 215/55/17 tire. That's why it's recommended as a appropriate substitute for the 215/55/17 tire, because it is almost the exact same diameter (both run on the same 17" rim) and as such has almost no difference for the speedo.

Cale
At a 100MPH I'm generally looking in my mirror to see how far I am ahead of the other car! LOL Thanx

Old 03-10-2005, 07:08 AM
As such, it has almost the exact same size sidewall as the 215/55/17 tire.

As you say almost... you are dropping the car a tad and u will not notice a speedo issue...

Old 03-10-2005, 10:40 AM
toyo proxes-4's all the way around. love the tires. i'm also an aggresive driver. i find these tires a challenge to break loose. and i challenge them almost twice a day. i haven't been able to drive like that since i had bfg's on my nissan 180sx.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by mickey3c
As such, it has almost the exact same size sidewall as the 215/55/17 tire.

As you say almost... you are dropping the car a tad and u will not notice a speedo issue...
I said almost because it isn't exactly the same. The difference is .75mm (.0295") or a little less than 1/32nd of an inch (1/32"= .0313). No offense meant, but I think that's less than a tad. However, I'm not completely certain because after an exhaustive search I can only find "tad" defined as a small amount and nothing more specific. So, you might be right but I think "minuscule" would come closer to the drop in question. (LAM - Laughing at myself!)

Last edited by calejohnson; 03-10-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by JustBrilliantX
At a 100MPH I'm generally looking in my mirror to see how far I am ahead of the other car! LOL Thanx
In a car this fast do you really need a mirror?

Old 03-10-2005, 05:27 PM
IQ9
You should get what you want but I followed advice given here to get the A/S Pilots and they started out great and turned to crap in about 8k-nosiy&slippery&rough ride. Try the Toyo Proxes 4s 245/45/17s but don't listen to me, someone here will tell you I'm crazy for not being happy with a Michellin product and being rammed in the a$$ on the price of said product.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which rubber to use?