G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

O2 Sensor circuit issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Sedan 6mt
Originally Posted by cleric670
The proper protocol scanner will give you the actual DTC being sent by the ECM. They will be listed in the FSM, an unlisted code is because it's using a different protocol and it's finding the "closest match", P1276 is not a valid DTC for this ECM.

P-Powertrain
1-OEM specific
2-Fuel system
76-specific error

Since it's an OEM specific code it really does need the proper protocol to read it, this is pretty common since there are almost a dozen different protocols, still helps to have something with ISO9141-2 when you're working on these vehicles, it's probably just using ISO14230 which is far more common.

Using a realtime scanner to watch voltage fluctuations will tell you if the sensor is working, since you have drastic changes in performance I'm guessing it's not working at all and when it errors out and "runs better" it's because it is back in open-loop fuel mode.

The downstream O2 sensors are grounded on the black/yellow wire. There's a splice somewhere in the harness but I'm not sure where, they get their ground from the same pin on the ECM. However if you have exhaust leaks that will DEFINITELY cause O2 sensor codes like this but it sounds like your leak is downstream from all this, probably being caused by the hollowed out cats and non-foulers will help get rid of the code usually. Either way you can watch voltage changes on the B2O2 and B1O2 sensors to verify they are cycling as well. Keep the rpm's up at like 4k while you're reading those sensors.
I値l check out the voltage fluctuation under load, my little handheld scanner does support live data for the o2 sensors so I値l keep it at around 4K and monitor the voltage. I will be up in my hometown next weekend and will visit my old shop and plug in with their laptop equip with consult. If I don稚 figure it out by then I値l really be able to see everything I need. But I値l go through the FSM and check all grounds and identify correct pin outs on all sensors. Last time I checked resistance and voltage they showed okay but I did not check resistance by the FSM and instead went by the diagram provided by NGK (the manufacture of the sensors I bought)

Old 06-14-2022, 05:11 PM
1 G35 Coupe 2x 350Z Drift Builds
Originally Posted by TheG35Project
I値l check out the voltage fluctuation under load, my little handheld scanner does support live data for the o2 sensors so I値l keep it at around 4K and monitor the voltage. I will be up in my hometown next weekend and will visit my old shop and plug in with their laptop equip with consult. If I don稚 figure it out by then I値l really be able to see everything I need. But I値l go through the FSM and check all grounds and identify correct pin outs on all sensors. Last time I checked resistance and voltage they showed okay but I did not check resistance by the FSM and instead went by the diagram provided by NGK (the manufacture of the sensors I bought)
Really in need of assistance with this, I have the same three codes, I run a Nissan Infiniti specialized shop. I've tested continuity, voltage, resistance, catalytic converter clogging, etc to no avail. This is one of the only times I haven't found a solution to a DTC. Any updates? Ever get it fixed? If it matter's I'm working on a 2004 G sedan with narrow band o2's, A/T

Old 06-17-2022, 11:11 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,471 Likes on 2,162 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
P1276,P0138, P0158 ?

For the P0158/38

Do the codes come back at idle when you clear them?

If they only come back after revving the engine or driving I would pull the fuel pump and see if the strainer baggy sock is all clogged up.

I'm guessing you already did watch realtime data on the O2 sensors to make sure all 4 are cycling properly?

You should also clean up the two grounds screw points on the front of the engine, top of the timing chain cover, two green screws with a ring terminal landed on the chain cover. One is the transmission, one is the ECM, do them both.

Does your OBD2 scanner handle protocol ISO 9141-2, you really shouldn't be seeing code P1276 on these cars.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:42 PM
1 G35 Coupe 2x 350Z Drift Builds
Originally Posted by cleric670
P1276,P0138, P0158 ?

For the P0158/38

Do the codes come back at idle when you clear them?

If they only come back after revving the engine or driving I would pull the fuel pump and see if the strainer baggy sock is all clogged up.

I'm guessing you already did watch realtime data on the O2 sensors to make sure all 4 are cycling properly?

You should also clean up the two grounds screw points on the front of the engine, top of the timing chain cover, two green screws with a ring terminal landed on the chain cover. One is the transmission, one is the ECM, do them both.

Does your OBD2 scanner handle protocol ISO 9141-2, you really shouldn't be seeing code P1276 on these cars.
Yes the vehicle is running rich, I have a Snap-On Triton D10, and Osirus Up-Rev software. Both throw the same code(which yes I don't know why the vehicle is putting out a non factory DTC lol), I believe the issue is injectors at this point. I have cleaned, loosened, and re-tightened all grounds including the ones that go to the dash support beam. I took apart my fuel injector cleaner and test bench last night and replaced the cheap pump with a factory DE one lol. Gonna pull the injectors at some point today, throw them on the flow bench and see what's going on. My belief is the ECM is reading B1S1 as rich being the long term fuel trim is too high, thus the ECM is attempting to cut back fuel causing the vehicle to run rough when in closed loop at OT.

I've ran into issues before where the ECM was the issue for things like constant coil pack failure on the same cylinder. So, I even swapped out the ECM, reprogrammed the key, and got the same codes. Interesting they threw the same codes lol. I've gone thru the entire FSM diag procedure and replaced both up-stream's with a Nissan OE sensors(one that wasn't throwing a code was bubbled on one side 😂. )

At this point I'm not even charging the customer anymore, I just wanna know the issue! 😂 I'll update once I throw the injectors on the bench.

Old 06-17-2022, 09:17 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Definitely time to check fuel flow per injector, might also pull the fuel injectors off the intake, put them back in the rail, then turn the key on and see if any of them drip.

Also, about the wiring, do you have a megger? Might be worth disconnecting the ECM and using a megger on like 250v to see if the insulation isn't actually bad on the wiring somewhere but it's not reading with just a resistance check.

Have you checked fuel pressure? The car doesn't have a fuel service port as you're probably aware but a fuel damper sandwich adapter like this one from Z1 Motorsports lets you add one. Something might have kaboomed on the pump and it might actually be delivering too much pressure, if the swirl valve regulator breaks I'm pretty sure it would just continuously be building pressure with nothing to relieve it.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...rt-p-9160.html

Old 05-06-2023, 02:13 PM
G35 Coupe Track Packagr
Originally Posted by FULLTHROTTLE916
Yes the vehicle is running rich, I have a Snap-On Triton D10, and Osirus Up-Rev software. Both throw the same code(which yes I don't know why the vehicle is putting out a non factory DTC lol), I believe the issue is injectors at this point. I have cleaned, loosened, and re-tightened all grounds including the ones that go to the dash support beam. I took apart my fuel injector cleaner and test bench last night and replaced the cheap pump with a factory DE one lol. Gonna pull the injectors at some point today, throw them on the flow bench and see what's going on. My belief is the ECM is reading B1S1 as rich being the long term fuel trim is too high, thus the ECM is attempting to cut back fuel causing the vehicle to run rough when in closed loop at OT.

I've ran into issues before where the ECM was the issue for things like constant coil pack failure on the same cylinder. So, I even swapped out the ECM, reprogrammed the key, and got the same codes. Interesting they threw the same codes lol. I've gone thru the entire FSM diag procedure and replaced both up-stream's with a Nissan OE sensors(one that wasn't throwing a code was bubbled on one side 😂. )

At this point I'm not even charging the customer anymore, I just wanna know the issue! 😂 I'll update once I throw the injectors on the bench.

I am having the exact same issue did you every get this figured out. I have replaced all 02 sensors and tried resistance on all wiring no issues. Car runs better if I unplug rear 02 sensors however my fronts still read all over the place typically in opposite directions.

Old 05-07-2023, 10:29 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
What codes are you throwing?

Have you smoke tested the intake AND exhaust?

What parts have you replaced besides the O2 sensors?

What do your spark plugs look like?