G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

I need opinions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti g35 sedan. Auto :( all stock.
I need opinions.

I have a 2003 sedan g35 and today the motor started to knock no Idea why. I check the oil once a week and oil changes every 3000. Just checked in last sunday and was about midway on the stick.

My question is do I try to find a engine to throw in or just sell it. Is it worth it? What would be the cost for a engine and parts to do it? Im mechanically inclined enough to do it just unsure if its worth it. I sould also love to take the opportunity and stick a manual in it but not sure if it's worth the extra work. I would just find a manual parts car if I did that. Jist let me know what you think.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:16 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,468 Likes on 2,160 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You sure it's rod knock? Take a video, post to youtube, put the link here.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:45 PM
Hey there Josh,

I had a similar issue with my 2005 with 176k on it.
Went out one day,started it up, and knock/knock/knock...
It was so random, it just did it, no sign of anything..
I decided to pull the engine and rebuild it myself. I purchased most everything from RockAuto, the Cloyes timing set, master rebuild kit, oil pump, water pump, etc.... I also got the silicone master hose kit from Z1 Motorsports. I'm into the build with parts at $1,900 dollars. That also included things like a bottle hone from Amazon, an engine stand from Harbor Freight, Valve lapping compound and spring compressor from Amazon.

So if you have the time, patience, and a place to do it, around $2,000 it will cost you.
But what you have is a new engine that you know exactly what has been done to it.

Regards,

phil

Old 04-12-2020, 09:39 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Plus you can sell all the tools when you're done with them on CL and recoup at least half the tool-cost.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:26 PM
Infiniti g35 sedan. Auto :( all stock.
Hi, thank you all for your reply. i have looked into the car more and turns out there is a hole in the block somewhere because after being parked i looked under it yesterday and found all my oil in a puddle underneath. still not sure what im going to do but i did find a 06 g35x sedan that needs a radiator and lower control arm. since i have new radiator in my car from 8 months ago i can probably put that in as long as it will fit and if the control arms are good on mine and fit i can swap those over too. but i haven't looked into it to see if those parts are compatible he wants me to make an offer but im not sure i would even offer. this is copied straight from the post. its clean. no rust. what do you guys think? what should i offer?

"2006 Infiniti G35x
Lowered on coil overs & muffler delete
Radiator is cracked car overheats
Needs new battery and lower control arm bushing
Msg offer"

Old 04-14-2020, 10:37 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If it's the premium package I'd offer $3500. However you can pick up a used engine for under $1000.

The main culprit for having a hole in the block is "throwing a rod". Basically what happens is TYPICALLY low oil pressure (or running low on oil) generates significant heat and seizes up a connecting rod bearing which grabs the connecting rod, the rod breaks off up near the piston and now is flailing wildly in the crankcase, gets jammed up against the side of the block and the rotational force of the crankshaft pushes the rod through the side of the block.

It's a fairly common kaboom situation. The other way to crack a block is to not have the correct amount of glycol coolant (too much water, not enough glycol) and it can freeze, expand, crack the block. That's not normally a HOLE in the side of the block though, it's usually a pushed out freeze plug and cracked/broken water pump/radiator/etc, hairline crack in the block.

You probably threw a rod, if it were me I'd just pick up a used motor and dump it in.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:31 PM
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
04.5 G35 Sedan 5AT
Originally Posted by Josh Buck
I have a 2003 sedan g35 and today the motor started to knock no Idea why. I check the oil once a week and oil changes every 3000. Just checked in last sunday and was about midway on the stick.

My question is do I try to find a engine to throw in or just sell it. Is it worth it? What would be the cost for a engine and parts to do it? Im mechanically inclined enough to do it just unsure if its worth it. I sould also love to take the opportunity and stick a manual in it but not sure if it's worth the extra work. I would just find a manual parts car if I did that. Jist let me know what you think.
I don't know where you are located, but local to me are a few JDM engine suppliers. JDM VQ35DE's run around $900-$1200 with ~60k claimed mileage. Shipping will vary depending on where you are located. The amount of parts you need depends on the condition of the car.
Its up to you if you like the car enough to keep it and put time/money into it.