G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Low oil and rear main seal leak after storage.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04g35 sedan 6mt
Low oil and rear main seal leak after storage.

So I stored my G at a facility last winter and did basic prep like changed the oil and filled up the tank before I took it in.Every now and then I would come and warm up the car so the battery could stay tender.I did not however bothered to check my oil.

over the last two months I had stuff going on and couldn’t come to start the car up anymore.This week I decided to take out the car from storage and checked my oil before heading out.To my surprise the oil level on the dip stick was only up to the tip of the dipstick way below the low mark.I also noticed oil around my valve cover.

i added oil and took it straight to Nissan to find out what was going on.They did my valve covers last year around December and barely drove the car so i was sure that wasn’t it.After paying the diagnostic they told me it was my rear main seal that was causing my oil to go low along with the oil residue I found.

my question is that should I do a compression test before fixing the rear main seal to find out if the engine is still good from being super low on oil and from me starting it up and letting it warm up with low oil during the winter?

Old 04-19-2020, 04:35 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Compression test is quick, easy, so yeah it wouldn't hurt. If nothing else you'll have a good idea how much life is left in the rings. If all it was doing was idling on low oil I don't expect much extra ring wear though, the main component to fail from low oil is bearings but if it's just idling and not under load then they're probably fine as well.

The problem is when you're at higher rpm and low on oil, it will suck the crankcase dry before the oil has a chance to drip back down to the bottom.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04g35 sedan 6mt
Originally Posted by cleric670
Compression test is quick, easy, so yeah it wouldn't hurt. If nothing else you'll have a good idea how much life is left in the rings. If all it was doing was idling on low oil I don't expect much extra ring wear though, the main component to fail from low oil is bearings but if it's just idling and not under load then they're probably fine as well.

The problem is when you're at higher rpm and low on oil, it will suck the crankcase dry before the oil has a chance to drip back down to the bottom.
thank you and no the car wasn’t under pressure as the car was only idling with low oil.I probably am guilty of revving once or twice when idling to warm up the car a little bit faster.