G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

HID Ballast Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Ballast Replacement

Hi all,

I searched the threads about this topic of replacing the HID ballast as mine has gone out. Everyone said it is a relatively easy fix but no one mentioned where to buy it from. All the Amazon ones are $50 and all mention they burn out and fail in a week. The ebay ones are can be OEM but are used maybe this is still the way to go at $150 for a pair. Brand new OEM from a dealer for just the ballast and ignitor is $550. Can anyone shed some light into where they purchased replacement ballasts for their HID that died out?

As a side note, I am just running one headlight right now and the fog lights but I can tell over the years the light doesn't illuminate as it did. I am in the outskirts of Austin Texas and there are no street lights so having some great headlights that really work and illuminate the road is key to be safe around here. Any suggestions on how to make the most of my HIDs once I get the ballast replaced?

Thanks all!

Old 08-09-2022, 03:51 AM
Received 410 Likes on 368 Posts
Forget messing with the OEM ballast. U can get a whole aftermarket kit with new ballasts and bulbs for less than $50 bucks. Dont forget to choose what color bulbs tou want.

I have these on my bike and theyre pretty good.
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-12-2022, 01:02 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Matsushita was the OEM manufacturer and they were sold as Matsushita/Panasonic ballasts. They had some reliability issues so Panasonic started making them in-house for the 370Z/Q50/Q60. The newer Morimoto/Matsushita ballasts are a LOT better than the old ones so this is one of those few items where I would recommend buying the new version rather than an eBay used item. Ballasts are only good for like 3000-4000 actual hours (they're technically rated a lot lower than that). And I also recommend replacing both sides at the same time, lamp, ballast, igniter. If one side failed the other side is almost dead as well.

The ballasts are ALL interchangeable though, from 2005/6 when they went with the projectors all the way up through 2015ish when they stopped using projectors. You should be able to get good Panasonic / Morimoto ballasts for like $100 apiece with the igniter. Buy your lamps separately and don't skimp on them.

The newer ballasts have a MUCH quicker strike time and achieve proper color almost instantly compared to the old stock ballasts which have a noticeably delayed strike time (it's like 1/2 second but still noticeable to me because I'm an electrician and deal with this stuff regularly).

I'm a huge fan of Sylvania lamps, great quality control, great longevity. I think Koito was the OEM manufacturer for Infiniti so you definitely can't go wrong with them either. Phillips supplies a LOT of other manufacturers so that would be an excellent choice as well.

I would stay away from budget ballast/lamp combos unless the cost is an issue. This is one of those things like the OEM cam/crank sensors. You get what you pay for and it's better to shell out the money for the good stuff. If cost is an issue just be aware that longevity probably will be the biggest issue. They will work, just not for as long, and within 10 years you end up paying the same amount anyways since they only last half as long.

The following users liked this post:
HoserG35 (08-12-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 09:19 PM
Wow what a Brilliant write up, thank you so much

This is what I am going to order

Morimoto D2R XB HID Headlight Bulb - Pair
$63.60

https://www.z1motorsports.com/headlight/morimoto/morimoto-d2r-xb-hid-headlight-bulb-pair-p-21276.html
Going with the 5000k

Morimoto OE Matsushita Gen V HID Ballast

$71.02 x 2
https://www.z1motorsports.com/front-...t-p-21498.html

2005 Infiniti G35 - Headlights - Driver and Passenger Side, with Bulbs, HID/Xenon, Sedan, (1-2005 to 2006)

$205.99
https://www.carparts.com/details/Inf...EPI100169.html
For some reason the pair with bulbs is cheaper than the one without bulbs... but ill replace it with the new ones i got

I can't seem to find the Ignitor cables. Might as well change them too but yeah, can't find it anywhere. Then I just need to find a mechanic to replace all this for me and I should be safe on the road again.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-14-2022, 10:45 PM
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
G35 6MT “Brembo Car”
I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere whether you are rolling in a coupe or sedan, but those light housings that you linked to are for a sedan. Just want to make sure you order the correct lights.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 6MT Sedan
After reading all the bad reviews from the EBay amd Amazon parts, I just pulled a bunch from low mileage cars at the Pull-A-Part for a few dollars a pop. Never had to use them though. Make sure it is your ballast and not just a loose bulb socket plug I've had two sedans and both passenger side headlights started flickering and only coming on half the time. A little handfull of insulation or poly-fil between the socket and plastic cover fixed it both times. Never had to repalce the ballast. .

Old 10-17-2022, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by HoserG35
I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere whether you are rolling in a coupe or sedan, but those light housings that you linked to are for a sedan. Just want to make sure you order the correct lights.
Yes It is for the Sedan. One thing I cannot find ANYWHERE is D2R ignitors. I see D2S everywhere which works with the coupes projector headlights but do you know where I can find a D2R Ignitor?

Old 10-17-2022, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by ll3adBoY
Yes It is for the Sedan. One thing I cannot find ANYWHERE is D2R ignitors. I see D2S everywhere which works with the coupes projector headlights but do you know where I can find a D2R Ignitor?
The ignitors (ballasts) are all the same and will plug into any kind of HID bulb.

There isnt a specific type of ballast for each different bulb.

By the way, D2S and D2R are the same bulb. The D2S is for projector type housings. And the D2R is for reflector housings.
The difference is that the D2R just has a plate built onto it so it blocks some of the light that will hit that side of the projector. Its sorta controls the beam a little so you dont blind oncoming traffic.

Old 10-17-2022, 09:32 PM
Interesting. I keep reading that the socket is different and a D2R bulb wont fit a d2S socket....

I ended up buying this one https://www.hidconcept.com/search?qs...*&type=product

This is the article that shows there are two different kinds of connectors for the housing... https://gmundcars.com/d2r-vs-d2s-vs-d2c/

Spent this whole night just reading on this to fix my silly headlights

Old 10-17-2022, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by ll3adBoY
Interesting. I keep reading that the socket is different and a D2R bulb wont fit a d2S socket....

I ended up buying this one https://www.hidconcept.com/search?qs...*&type=product

This is the article that shows there are two different kinds of connectors for the housing... https://gmundcars.com/d2r-vs-d2s-vs-d2c/

Spent this whole night just reading on this to fix my silly headlights
Oh yeah, I guess I was wrong.

I know Ive used D2S bulbs in reflector housings before tough. I probably had modified the base. All u have to do is just cut a notch into the base so it would fit.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:59 PM
Ive had pretty good luck with all the aftermarket Amazon HID kits. Thats the route I wouldve taken. Less than $50 for a full plug n play kit.

Amazon Amazon