G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

checkout these PIX!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure I get the rebadge mod. It's a matter of pride. For years the US market has been starved of exciting Japanese developed automobiles that were distributed in Europe, Australia, and elsewhere. And everyone that cared about these cars knew exactly what we were missing. So, give us a "Skyline", even if it isn't an R"whatever", and we're ecstatic. And for those that care about such things, the Skyline name means so much more than G35. It's only natural that the enthusiasts want to proclaim their joy by rebadging.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Lip
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JKWright
Generally true, hence my comment about sharing a platform, i.e. bodypan, engine, transmission, chassis mountpoints, etc. But the car in my garage is not a Skyline. It may look like a Skyline. It may share 95 percent of the Skyline's parts (I'm just guessing here). It may drive a lot like a Skyline. But it is not a Skyline. Says so right in the Owner's Manual.

Hence my confusion on the whole issue. As you said, we're not in Japan. And the debadge/rebadge thing seems to be a mostly Japanese-import thing. I mean, you don't see guys with GTOs rebadging them as Holden Monaros.

Now that would be interesting.
Personally I believe in de-badging- So I'm with you on that front.
The 350Gt and Infiniti G35 may differ in some areas (suspension tuning, 112mph speed limiter, no analog clock in the Japanese V35, and of course the V35 is badged a Nissan in Japan, we don't get a 250Gt with 215hp, we don't get cloth seats) but they are 99% the same car.
http://press.nissan-global.com/NEW_S...otographs.html

Yet I agree, a de-badge is always the best way to go

Last edited by Lip; 03-26-2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Lip
we don't get a 250Gt with 215hp, we don't get cloth seats) but they are 99% the same car.
http://press.nissan-global.com/NEW_S...otographs.html
Neat link -- thanks for sharing. I'll take my next G35 in Warm Silver with a Silky Ecru interior and EXTROID CVT w/8-speed paddle shifter. (The EXTROID, for those of you living in caves, is a the second-generation Nissan CVT that replaces the pioneering but puzzlingly slow-selling HEMROID unit.)

Old 03-26-2005, 11:42 PM
People rebadge because it makes their car different and because in the tuner world the word Skyline has much more of an impact than G35.

I frequent the TSX boards as well and many of them rebadge their cars with Honda logos instead of Acura logos because in Europe and overseas thats how the TSX is badged. Some of them believe that American labeling is incorrect (as things tend to get rebadged for our purchasing) and some just want to not be like every other acura on the road even though their acura has better interior, suspension, engine etc than the overseas model.

Old 03-27-2005, 02:41 AM
LOL!! Great reading here ppl!!
But seriously folks, I am onboard w/ the de-badging. Removing the Infiniti lettering off of the trunk lid really cleans things up in my opinion. I get the being different thing too but resolve to be different by wheels, clear corners, etc..real mods. As far as pride goes in regards to rebadging, I take pride in the fact that the imports have renamed their cars especially for the USA. And so I will keep the American name of any import I drive. I didn't rebadge by Jetta Wolfsburg to say Bora. I see rebadged/redecorated Skylines and I kinda laugh. But then again I know that it's an Infiniti, perhaps it's the wild goose chase a Skyline owner may send some admirer on trying to find where they can get one. Well to each their own. G35 or what ever you want to call it is still a great car.
Cheers!

Old 03-27-2005, 04:02 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
There is a thread that debates the age old re-badging debate here:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/47302-what-up.html

Can we get back to making fun of this guys windshield sticker now???

Old 03-27-2005, 04:17 AM
i dunno whats so hard to understand about re-badging to a skyline. Remember that it was in japan first so technically Infiniti just rebadged it to a G35... for the most part i think people do it to be different, and not to mislead people into thinking their car is something its not, but just to show that they are car enthusiasts...

and JKWright it just doesn't share a platform, its actually the same car just converted to left hand drive and rebadged infiniti... you look under the hood and it says nissan... i know you realise that and just want to make the point that we're in the US and not japan. the truth is always the truth even if you don't believe in it...

personally i rebadged mine to a 350GT skyline but kept the infiniti tags. Why? because i like the infiniti badges better. I think they look more pleasing aesthetically than the nissan badges... same reason i put the 350GT and Skyline badges... they look better IMO than the G35 and infiniti letters...

9 out of 10 people won't even know the difference and probably 10 out of 10 could care less what you badge it as... I rebadged mine not to confuse people, not to make my car out to be something its not, not in the hopes someone will ask me what it means, etc. etc. I simply rebadged to be different and because it just plain out looks better... at least something to set me apart from most of the other G35s out there... not as flashy or expensive as rims but subtle... and it also shows that i know the heritage of my car and shows to people that know about it that i am a car enthusiast...

what i don't understand is the people that don't understand about the rebading thing lol as car enthusiasts we do things to our cars normal people usually don't do... so we always want to set outselves apart from the rest, hence why many people mod their cars. I don't care what you do to your car, even ricers... its your choice if you want people to laugh at your not, its your choice if you want to look foolish but if you're happy with it, who cares as long as you're happy...

now the question remains, what happened to revolutionG35? lol

Old 03-27-2005, 08:37 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
I rebadged my G as an F-150 and my neighbor asked me to tow his boat.. What do I do?

Old 03-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
I rebadged my G as an F-150 and my neighbor asked me to tow his boat.. What do I do?
If you were a good neighbor, you would stop posting here and tow that boat! BTW, take pics...this I gotta see.

Old 03-27-2005, 12:15 PM
05-G35 Sedan 5AT
WHy bother rebadging.. if you want a Skyline .. buy one in Japan.. besides.. I think that a lot of you are confusing the Nissan Fairlady with the Skyline GT350 .. And if you want to replicate it your gonna have to put a sharp right hand elbow on that steering column to get it over to the right side of your car.. all the skylines and Fairladys I know of are right hand drive.
Hey.. I missed the idiots sticker.. the chicken took the pics down...

Old 03-27-2005, 07:09 PM
That heritage thing got me thinking... Any one got a lead on Datsun badges .. ok enough on th badges.. now about those stickers...I missed 'em. Did they say turbo?.. Powered by Nissan? or perhaps sparkly flames.. now those are hot.
Please re-post!

Old 03-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by tsolin01
and JKWright... i know you realise that and just want to make the point that we're in the US and not japan. the truth is always the truth even if you don't believe in it...
Well said. Point taken.
I simply rebadged to be different... at least something to set me apart from most of the other G35s out there... and it also shows that i know the heritage of my car and shows to people that know about it that i am a car enthusiast.
Also well said, although I disagree with you somewhat on the last sentence. I think most traditional auto enthusiasts, i.e. those who don't limit themselves to one marque and attach goofy wings and windshield stickers to their cars, scoff at rebadging as something done by 16-year-olds with backward baseball caps. People who run in the Fast and the Furious crowd probably appreciate it, though.
what i don't understand is the people that don't understand about the rebading thing lol as car enthusiasts we do things to our cars normal people usually don't do...
I also disagree with you here. Car enthusiasts come in all shapes and sizes. Some subscribe to the riceboy-racer credo of lowering, widening, stiffening, stickering, lightening, brightening and wingifying with complete disregard for chassis balance and driveability. I cringe it this, but sure, I'll call them enthusiasts. (They're enthusiatic, aren't they?) Another crowd, those I referred to as "traditional" above, favor down-and-dirty performance above cosmetic changes.

I fall into the latter category as you might expect. For me, any modification that doesn't improve performance without affecting the overall balance of the car holds no interest to me. And it's also why I rarely add cosmetic modifications outside of basic things like window tint to my cars. Chrome twenties with 30-series tires may be interesting to look at in a shiny kind of way, but they're a killer in adding unspring weight and thus I'd never consider them even if I won 'em free in a raffle. To paraphrase Carroll Shelby, if it don't make it faster I ain't interested.

I've probably been harsh in my comments to you folks in the re-badge/de-badge crowd. My apologies. But I still don't understand it.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by GTicketDriver
ok enough on th badges.. now about those stickers...I missed 'em. Did they say turbo?.. Powered by Nissan? or perhaps sparkly flames.. now those are hot.
Please re-post!
The pic was so small you souldn't see what the windshield sticker said. From what I remember the sticker was HUGE (maybe 5-6 inches tall) and spanned the entire length or the windshield. Also, I believe it was color matched. According to revolutiong35 he made the sticker himself and it spelled out "INFINITI". This seems curious to me since he rebadged his sedan to "SKYLINE".

revolutiong35, you don't have a hair on your sack if you don't repost that pic! There, I called him out.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:23 PM
A short story about a sticker that sums it up for me...
Saw a late eighties chevy truck last year driving along with some gardening equipment in it. It had one of the semi popular stickers on it of Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes fame) peeing in a chevy emblem.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by trebien
When I get back from the grocery store, I don't take all my cheese and slap stickers on it that says "Fromage".
I'm doing that from now on! My fridge is going to be L33T!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: checkout these PIX!