G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

used G35 or used acura TL-S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
used G35 or used acura TL-S

I'm looking to replacing my 1995 audi A6, fwd, 5 sp with 183k and would like to spend something in the lower 20's. I have seen a few 2004's (and 2003's) G35's in that price range (leather, SR etc) and have also looked at some used 02 and 03 acura TL-S. I live in CT so driving in the winter is a concern. With the G35 I would buy a set of wheels/snows, an expense I would not have with the acura and also a slight pain twice a year to change over. I don't need the ultimate handling car, but I do enjoy the fun. I have driven both of these and a TSX (not bad but a little small and I think I'd miss a 6 cylinder). My wife has a 2002 TL and it runs nice, no complaints. I'm leaning towards the G35 but worry about the winter. I am also looking at a 2003 G35, bose, SR, leather with 45k on it, asking $20.9k but I know they would like to move it. Do you think they might move it for 18k or so, certified? (note, this dealer does not routinely certify their used Infiniti's. thanks.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Great question. I had a similar decision to make last month and chose a G35 with good all season tires.

Basically, it came down to the fact that the 02 and 03 Acura's were based on the previous platform Accords and they drove like it. Yes they are sportier but just not up to anything close to the level of the G. Althought a little more luxurious, the interior on the Acura seemed a little dated to me versus the uniqueness of the G. And the drive sealed it. Faster, better handling and it just feels like a real sports car.

I was very concerned about winter driving as I live in Indianapolis and we get several good snow storms each year. So I took 3 different test drives in the G WHILE it was snowing and there was nothing but ice and various levels of snow on the road and I was impressed. With the VDC, traction control and GOOD all season tires I had a lot of trouble getting it to break away. I was much more likely to have the slip light kick in and get a controled start. Handling in corners and while breaking was much safer than my FWD cars in the past (Hondas, toyotas, and a SAAB that I thought was excellent at the time). Basically, you can steer without losing your grip. The nose never just slides forward uncontrolled.

Now if you have the Turanzas or summer tires that came with the sport package, forget about it. At 45k they have probably already changed out the tires. You might see if you can get a credit. Buy Avon m550's, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Toyo's or other high quality all seasons in 235/50/17. I think you will be impressed. Also, going with that size tire will be a nice handling upgrade over stock and there are no fit problems at all - they look great in the wheel wells.

Depending on where you are in CT you may just want to go with snows. They are a bit of a hassle, but the G with snows will out drive any FWD with A/S tires in the snow. Trust me.

The deal sounds pretty good. I bought a 39k 03.5 G with premium/wood/bose/winter for $19,125. I paid about $1300 for a 60/60,000 warranty from Infiniti. It was at a BMW dealership with a solid reputation. It had been on the lot for 45 days and it was the end of the month. However, mine needed new tires (I wanted to pick them anyway) and about $300 in maintenance costs. They were asking $22,995 for it to start. My Infiniti dealer wouldn't come within $4000 of the deal.

So here I am, about $21k later with a very good condition G with excellent new tires and a warranty up to 100k. I am very happy with my deal and my new-to-me G.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by cfrago
I'm looking to replacing my 1995 audi A6, fwd, 5 sp with 183k and would like to spend something in the lower 20's. I have seen a few 2004's (and 2003's) G35's in that price range (leather, SR etc) and have also looked at some used 02 and 03 acura TL-S. I live in CT so driving in the winter is a concern. With the G35 I would buy a set of wheels/snows, an expense I would not have with the acura and also a slight pain twice a year to change over. I don't need the ultimate handling car, but I do enjoy the fun. I have driven both of these and a TSX (not bad but a little small and I think I'd miss a 6 cylinder). My wife has a 2002 TL and it runs nice, no complaints. I'm leaning towards the G35 but worry about the winter. I am also looking at a 2003 G35, bose, SR, leather with 45k on it, asking $20.9k but I know they would like to move it. Do you think they might move it for 18k or so, certified? (note, this dealer does not routinely certify their used Infiniti's. thanks.
I'm not meaning to rag on you, but this thread will more than likely turn out like the rest of the compare the G35 to other vehicles, it will be pro G35. Since you haven't been on this sight too long I would suggest looking around for a bit, because you will find a lot threads on this exact topic. Trust me you may get some flames from some others on here saying "use the search function." But really look around you might get some answers.

But about your search, I would also take into consideration the weak tranny of the TL and CL. I have a 01 CL Type S and I'm one of the lucky ones still on the original tranny with 75k on the odometer. I think for most normal day driving its a nice car. In terms of straight acceleration I think the CL-S is faster than the G35s. But in other areas like handling I believe the G35 will smoke the Acuras. But It is a tough decision. My suggestion is to go out and really drive both.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TL-S have tranny problems

Old 03-22-2005, 11:18 AM
IMHO, that's an easy one. G35!

IMHO, that's an easy one. G35!

Old 03-22-2005, 11:43 PM
This isn't such a difficult choice for me. I have the G35X that solves all your problems. RWD when you want it - AWD when you need it. But you want the combination I've got without the big depreciation hit of a new car purchase and there just aren't many G35X's available on the used market, huh? No problem, buy the G35 with RWD and get a good set of all season tires. You'll be safe with an excellent VDC system and a balanced chassis that makes vehicle control second nature. Go for it!

Cale

Old 03-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not like the ride in the TL-S.

The TL seemed to have a nice ride. The stock G35 (non sports) was in between.

I went with the G35 because, at the time, the Acura dealer didn't have the model I wanted, and was clearing out their inventory because of the upcoming new 2004 TL.

I wasn't enamored of the TL enough to buy it. It was seeing the new G35 that got me thinking of wasting my money on a new car.