G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Just as I thought, the 300hp 350Z is no faster than the 287hp Z

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scoobybri
We are having a little dyno day out here in Vegas.
Good. More data points.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peak hp numbers offer bragging rights and for manufactures its all about marketing. Anytime you can increase power from an engine its usually at some compromise. Whether its in the form of poor fuel economy, poor driveability or loss of low end torque something will suffer. In racing its all about the "area under the curve".

Car A makes 300 hp with an average of 230 hp.
Car B makes 280 hp with an average of 245 hp.

On paper you might think car A would be faster, but in reality car B offers more power throughout the rpm range and would accelerate faster.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyD
Peak hp numbers offer bragging rights and for manufactures its all about marketing. Anytime you can increase power from an engine its usually at some compromise. Whether its in the form of poor fuel economy, poor driveability or loss of low end torque something will suffer. In racing its all about the "area under the curve".

Car A makes 300 hp with an average of 230 hp.
Car B makes 280 hp with an average of 245 hp.

On paper you might think car A would be faster, but in reality car B offers more power throughout the rpm range and would accelerate faster.
Great example BMW seems to be one of the few manufactuers that don't compromised power under the curve when upgrading their motors. The BMW 330 makes 255hp (25hp more than last) with peak power occuring about 500rpms later and peak torque occuring 700rpms earlier therefore making for a much broader power curve and a much quicker car.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by scoobybri
We'll see what happens next Sunday. We are having a little dyno day out here in Vegas. There are going to be 03-04-05 sedans and coupes, AT and MT. My 05 is 100% stock at this point so I'll have test data put head to head year vs. year, coupe vs. sedan, AT vs. MT. Problem is that every one else is running at least a Z-tube, up to high flow cats and crawford plenums. I'll post the data after the fact for those that are interested.
Sweet, post up the results when you can.

Old 03-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Z2G
if you look in the local forum, someone did post the latest dyno day results. apparently, the 05 coupes (stock) does dyno a bit higher than the previous years.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Did you ever run your Altima at the track? Not trying to be a smartass... From what I've read over at www.altimas.net, the Altima 4 speed autos are getting 15.0-15.1 and the newer 5 speed autos are getting upper 14.9-15.0@92mph+ so it seems pretty comparable to the 02/03 Maxima...
No track time for me. And remember, I'm comparing a manual Altima to an older automatic G, which is transmission-wise kinda like drawing up track shoes to wingtips IMHO. As I mentioned earlier, I never drove an '03/'04 6MT G. Everything I've read indicates that car is quicker than a 5-speed manual Altima or 6-speed Maxima to 60, through the quarter and traps it by several mph. And I believe it. But FYI, you can check timeslips at Altimas.net for 5-speed '02 and '03 Altimas. You'll find numbers ranging from 14.2 to 14.6 (or maybe 14.7) as I described earlier. Automotive publications come up with similar numbers as well. I posted in another thread that the fastest mainstream media zero to 60 and quarter-mile time for a 5-speed Altima was Motorweek's test: Zero to 60 in 5.9 seconds, the quarter in 14.1 @ 101. Personally I think that car was a) a ringer or b) exceptionally strong, or their test equipment was really optimistic that day.
As for dynos, not only does the G/Z VQ make more power than the Maxima/Altima VQ, it makes more power at all points on the graph and above 6000rpms and holds a majority of that peak power till fuel cut at 6600rpms.
Well of course. Who would argue otherwise? As I said earlier, most folks in the Maxima/Altima crowd felt the VQ in both '02 cars made somewhere between 250 and 260 crank horsepower. If I'm accepting your premise that Nissan underrated the '03 and '04 G35 by 10 to 20 horsepower, it stands to reason that the underrrated Altima/Maxima VQ would make less horsepower and torque all over the dyno chart
If you agree with me that the 03/04 sedan's 260hp was underrated and was actually 280hp, then wouldn't you have to agree that it would mean the sedan was also making 270tq just like the 03/04 280hp/270tq coupe?
Possibly. But what's that got to do with the supposed "loss" of 10 pound-feet for the '05 6MT model? Nissan could've underrated the '05 6MT VQ's torque as well. By all rights the company lives to do that sort of thing.

Yeah, tweaking the top end by shortening the intake runners (among other things) could affect low end and possibly peak torque, but who's to say for sure? Now we're really getting into the realm where it'd be easy for one or both of us to stick a thumb up our butt in public. Probably best to wait for some comfirmed dyno runs and timeslips. But I respect what you're saying. You seem to be a guy who knows what he's talking about.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by JKWright
And remember, I'm comparing a manual Altima to an older automatic G, which is transmission-wise kinda like drawing up track shoes to wingtips IMHO. As I mentioned earlier, I never drove an '03/'04 6MT G. Everything I've read indicates that car is quicker than a 5-speed manual Altima or 6-speed Maxima to 60, through the quarter and traps it by several mph. And I believe it. But FYI, you can check timeslips at Altimas.net for 5-speed '02 and '03 Altimas. You'll find numbers ranging from 14.2 to 14.6 (or maybe 14.7) as I described earlier. Automotive publications come up with similar numbers as well. I posted in another thread that the fastest mainstream media zero to 60 and quarter-mile time for a 5-speed Altima was Motorweek's test: Zero to 60 in 5.9 seconds, the quarter in 14.1 @ 101. Personally I think that car was a) a ringer or b) exceptionally strong, or their test equipment was really optimistic that day.
Gotcha. I thought you were talking about Altima autos. I'm all too aware of the potency of the FWD manual tranny 3.5 VQs I witnessed a bonestock 5 speed Altima doing the 14.3@96mph the same day my modified Maxima was doing 14.3@99mph. The Altima was quite a bit stronger in the first 1/8 mile and mine was a bit stronger in the last 1/8 mile. My buddy in his stock 03 G sedan was doing 14.7s@96mph with pretty sluggish 2.3 60 foots and he's also a pretty big guy (6' 8" 270lbs). I'm pretty sure with my 180lb weight behind the wheel, I could have gotten 14.5@97mph with a stronger launch.

Either way, it was an eye opener to how quick the 3.5 VQs really were.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Either way, it was an eye opener to how quick the 3.5 VQs really were.
They're beasts, aren't they? Gotta love that motor.

Now if we can talk Nissan into dropping the 4-liter stroker "truck" VQ into the '06 G, putting out maybe 320 horsepower and 290 pound-feet of torque... that'd be unique indeed. Tune it for low-end torque, peaking at 4000 rpm or so. Coupled with the 5AT, a G40x would go like a scalded cat in the rain with a little brake torquing. Colin McRae anyone?

Old 03-28-2005, 04:21 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those interested, this is a stock dyno of a 2005 6mt g35 coupe. The dynojet reads 244hp with 223 ft/lbs of torque. Looks like the new VQ does put out some great power so I wouldn't be surprised if I see them putting up better numbers.

http://www.6mt.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10511

Old 03-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by EZZ
For those interested, this is a stock dyno of a 2005 6mt g35 coupe. The dynojet reads 244hp with 223 ft/lbs of torque. Looks like the new VQ does put out some great power so I wouldn't be surprised if I see them putting up better numbers.

http://www.6mt.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10511
But the graph looks exactly like what we've been discussing. The 05 6MT 10whp more at peak, but trades a bit of low to midrange torque and HP. I was never doubting that the 05 6MTs had more power, the question was could you put it to use in a timed 1/4 mile run. In a road race and situations that require 5500+ performance, the 05 6MT should be fractionally quicker. At all other types of race situations it's most likely fractionally slower or the same as the 03/04.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Florida G35 Club
Who's making longtube headers for the G/Z? I haven't seen any headers that are what I call "longtube". You're right though, if they do exist, longtubes are the only way to go for the best power, period. The headers I've seen from Nismo, Crawford, and DC are hardly what I call longtube headers hence the reason these headers don't make much power. To me, longtube means the tube to the primary is 24+" long. Put shorty headers (ie Crawford/Nismo/DC) on an LS1 and gain 5whp. Put longtubes on the LS1 and gain 25-30whp. Yeah, it's that significant. I've installed LTs on my friend's LS1 Z28 and he dynoed 27whp/30wtq and dropped from a 13.6@103mph to a 13.1@106mph. The real question is how in the world can you fit LTs under the G/Z hood? I'd love to have them.
DaveB

Talked to Doug At Crawfords today and ordered a set of his headers and cats.
The good news is Crawfords has the longest tube headers out there. They have primaries of 26"
He said they wanted 28" but no way were they going to fit.
I being told with his package 40 HP more at peak, and more with the 2005 6mt
30-40 Lbs of torque across the whole power ban with the 2005 6mt. Now this should wake this car up a bit.
I also was pleased with the dyno numbers from the stock 2005 I read on this thread.
Give me some time and I should have some "dyno numbers. I will try it on the drag strip up here in Utah if I find the time. Need to look for some sticky tires. Should be fun!

Old 03-28-2005, 10:52 PM
From my understading of the 03/04 auto sedan was Nissan for some reason not sure why retarted the engine timing of the car a little so the car could make about 260-270hp. As for the manual as I undestand it, it's suppose be on par with the coupe making 280. Another thing I remeber was one of the fastest VQ powered cars I saw in a magazine might have been motor trend not sure though was a 03/04 G35 sedan manual. I remeber its 0-60 time was 5.4 but I dont remeber its quarter mile time.

As for that Altima, I read somewhere on a Maxima forum forgot which one, that the Altima had a light driver, 1/4 of the tank full, no spare, and and no cd player but I could be wrong.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:26 PM
EZZ
Originally Posted by deadmanincbh
From my understading of the 03/04 auto sedan was Nissan for some reason not sure why retarted the engine timing of the car a little so the car could make about 260-270hp. As for the manual as I undestand it, it's suppose be on par with the coupe making 280. Another thing I remeber was one of the fastest VQ powered cars I saw in a magazine might have been motor trend not sure though was a 03/04 G35 sedan manual. I remeber its 0-60 time was 5.4 but I dont remeber its quarter mile time.

As for that Altima, I read somewhere on a Maxima forum forgot which one, that the Altima had a light driver, 1/4 of the tank full, no spare, and and no cd player but I could be wrong.
The Altima is for all purposes as fast as the G. Its a driver's race and the one that gets the jump will probably pull. Its when you turn that you realize that the G was the better decision

Old 03-29-2005, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by EZZ
The Altima is for all purposes as fast as the G. Its a driver's race and the one that gets the jump will probably pull. Its when you turn that you realize that the G was the better decision
Of couse G owners know what a Vq35 can do and a vq35 is a beast and pretty fast in any car except the pathfinder and Qx4. Also come to think of it the G sedan that got 5.4 could be a ringer like the Altima?

Old 03-29-2005, 10:40 AM
EZZ
Originally Posted by deadmanincbh
Of couse G owners know what a Vq35 can do and a vq35 is a beast and pretty fast in any car except the pathfinder and Qx4. Also come to think of it the G sedan that got 5.4 could be a ringer like the Altima?
The fastest G35 sedan ever was on automobile magazine at 5.6. C&D did a 5.7 on the sedan and 5.5 on the coupe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just as I thought, the 300hp 350Z is no faster than the 287hp Z