G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

OEM rear spoiler from spoilerdepot.com

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 03:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM rear spoiler from spoilerdepot.com

Hi,
Anyone bought the OEM rear spoiler from spoilerdepot.com?
I guess right now they are having sale for the spoilers
And the price for our spoiler is : $115
Plus factory painting option : $43
Total is $158 plus shipping with no tax!!
If the quality is acceptable, then I guess I'll buy one.
So what do you guys think?

Old 04-14-2005, 07:02 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Hope you don't think that that's really close to OEM quality ........or that it functions like the factory tested one . I know it's cheaper, but so are the tires they sell at Pep Boys...no? Does it glue on or use double sided tape? LOL Give it a shot......it's only a $100 something bucks.JBX

Attached Thumbnails OEM rear spoiler from spoilerdepot.com-dscf0001-2-.jpg   OEM rear spoiler from spoilerdepot.com-dscf0014.jpg  
Old 04-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy crap that is cheap. I went to the site and it is awfully close to ours. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Guys!!!!!!!!!!!

I ordered a OEM style spoiler from Spoiler Depot for my coupe paint matched in Athens Blue and it looks perfect! There is no difference in finnish, color or fit from the factory part. It is a quality part, including the mounting which is identical to the factory installation (so be prepared to drill some holes).

Old 04-14-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Wingsprint
I ordered a OEM style spoiler from Spoiler Depot for my coupe paint matched in Athens Blue and it looks perfect! There is no difference in finnish, color or fit from the factory part. It is a quality part, including the mounting which is identical to the factory installation (so be prepared to drill some holes).
Do you think how hard is it to install the rear spoiler by ourselves? I guess the drilling part is not easy.. So anyone done DIY for the spoiler before?

Old 04-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Did it myself.

Not too difficult. Just take your time and follow the directions. Measure twice before drilling. There is no template so you will have to place the spoiler yourself. I used blue painters masking tape and covered the area where the spoiler would be placed then I measured twice and eyeballed the location for a good ten minutes. After a final "sign off" by the wife I marked the tape and used the pins to located where the holes need to be drilled.

After I drilled the holes I realized that my location of the holes lined up perfect with the factory location (on the back side of the trunk lid) of the spoiler holes) All said and done pretty easy and doing it yourself saves you some bucks.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:21 PM
It's funny you brought this up today as I called two local stores here in Florida who are selling the replica spoilers on ebay and one of them is the OEM Replica and the other one is a custom designed Lip which I prefer more. On spoilerdepot it shows the OEM Replica as well as there own custom designed lip. I would rather have the custom one because no one else has it, and it even comes with a 3rd LED Brake Light! Now, since it is a custom job, be prepared to pay more as this will cost you $279 instead of the OEM replica at $158. Do you think its worth it to get the custom one for more? Anyways this is a link to one company that I was referring to that makes the OEM Replica and this is the other that makes the same custom lip I think for cheaper ($239). Let me know what you think about the two types of spoilers.
-GoldSport

Old 04-15-2005, 03:11 AM
ARRRGH. NOW you tell me. Two months ago I got the OEM spoiler from teh dealer for $449.

Oh well, it included the rear under-body diffusers. And that is what really lowers the cg anyway. Right? Right?

Old 04-15-2005, 07:32 AM
I saw a few places that sold OEM type spoilers. I thought about them and also about the factory one. My biggest problem was drilling holes. All those little pieces of metal that fall into the trunk lid will rust over time. So will the edges of the holes if they are not primed and painted. I added a spoiler to my old Maxima in 1991 and a few years later the deck lid was rusting from the inside out! So no more drilling holes for me. Instead I got the spoiler pictured here:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/50293-ut-g2-lip-spoiler.html

It attaches with 3M tape. The same type of tape that holds on body side moldings. Total for the spoiler and paint was 235. I like the look of it alot. Gives the trunk a clean line. IMO, the OEM spoiler makes the trunk lid look too short. Good luck on your decision.

Old 04-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/45723-downforce-factory-spoiler.htmlIt's an easy install if you have some basic skills, don't rush, and have a extra set of hands there to help you. A fresh "uni-bit" is a must, as you have some fairly good size holes to drill. I found that actually undersizing the holes A HAIR lends towards a tighter/better fit and that you should back off heavy pressure on the drilling part, as the trunk lid is thin and could easily dent. Making sure the deck is clean is very important so that the adhesive bonds well to the surface. Watch out that you make eavery effort to get all the drilling flash that falls down into the trunk area by spreading a sheet out and that you rust proof the holes after drilling. A good marine type anti-corrosion spray applied with a Q-tip is a good way. The kit (OEM, of course) comes with the painted spoiler, the two diffusers, and a templet....that's it ....NO support strut or such nonsense. You'll need the blue type of masking tape, some sort of quality anti-corrosion goop, a vaccum cleaner for the flash, a uni-bit (or good sharp drills), and a center punch (not too hard on the punch or you'll dent the trunk tough guy!). And, it's definately easier to jack up the car to mount the diffusers. It took me about an hour and a half taking my time and being careful. You can always have the dealer do it. We do it all the time and charge about $700.00 for the parts and labor. Thank you...JBX has left the forum

Last edited by JustBrilliantX; 04-15-2005 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
By the way ....do all these "knock-off" OEM spoilers come with the necessary under body diffusers, or are they "non-functional" as well as being cheap ? And, as far as getting pieces of metal in the trunk lid, from the drilling, that'll rust.....laying a towel down and using your mini-vac attachments solves that. But then again, if your using tape on crap, ya got nothing to worry about except your spoiler blowing off or just looking ill..........

Last edited by JustBrilliantX; 04-15-2005 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Is it just me...or I like the clean spoiler-less look on the G sedan...to each his own I guess.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Hmmm...using a mini vac will not get to the small pieces of metal that fall INTO the lid, not the trunk. The lid is 2 layers in spots, that is what I was referring to. As far as the spoiler "blowing off in the wind", I doubt it since I never see emblems flying off of cars on the highway. Anyway, it's all personal preference.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Originally Posted by RichK
Hmmm...using a mini vac will not get to the small pieces of metal that fall INTO the lid, not the trunk. The lid is 2 layers in spots, that is what I was referring to. As far as the spoiler "blowing off in the wind", I doubt it since I never see emblems flying off of cars on the highway. Anyway, it's all personal preference.
Yeah ...I guess you're right about the mini vac in most cases. Mine has a reducer sleeve that I attach a 1 1/2 foot long 3/8" tube to in order to get into places such as in between the "notorious" multi layered trunk recesses, via those large access holes that are all over the the inside of the trunk lid . You're right about the emblems not blowing off.......Well, at least about the ones that aren't the size of an air battered spoiler anyway. LOL JBX

Old 04-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed my aftermarket non-OEM spoiler 2 years ago, see these threads...

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...hlight=spoiler

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OEM rear spoiler from spoilerdepot.com