G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Stupid question regarding MM shift mode in 04' Auto

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid question regarding MM shift mode in 04' Auto

OK this probably is a really stupid question, and maybe it is working correctly, or it's not I don't know but it sure is not working like my previous 5AT SS equipped car (01' Acura CL Type S).

Basically what I am noticing is that when at a stop, and you shift over to the sportshift mode in the 04' 5 AT Automatic it automatically display m4 (or 4m) which I think is telling me that it will automatically shift all the way up to the 4th gear in the Auto transmission.

In my previous car switching over from Auto to SS, the transmission would generally display 1 and that's where you started out (doing the crappy 1 > 2 shift which you had no control over, but I guess to somewhat protect the transmission).

Does everyone elses transmission do this as well? Or does everyone once they switch to 'SS mode' have to manually drop down to 1st gear then row back up through the gears?

Just a strange observance, I tried to do a search but that did not come up with any returns so thought i'd post a new thread.

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2005, 10:46 AM
My 04 X does the same thing but ony when you are driveing I have never tried it at a stop sign as I use it every day as I couldn't get the 6spd wife cant drive manual.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:58 AM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately, you have the old software in your tranny. The 04.5 models are more like the G35 coupe and your Acura where you have complete control (even from 1-2). I don't think there is an upgrade because it was built into the TCU.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:58 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JSuppi
OK this probably is a really stupid question, and maybe it is working correctly, or it's not I don't know but it sure is not working like my previous 5AT SS equipped car (01' Acura CL Type S).

Basically what I am noticing is that when at a stop, and you shift over to the sportshift mode in the 04' 5 AT Automatic it automatically display m4 (or 4m) which I think is telling me that it will automatically shift all the way up to the 4th gear in the Auto transmission.

In my previous car switching over from Auto to SS, the transmission would generally display 1 and that's where you started out (doing the crappy 1 > 2 shift which you had no control over, but I guess to somewhat protect the transmission).

Does everyone elses transmission do this as well? Or does everyone once they switch to 'SS mode' have to manually drop down to 1st gear then row back up through the gears?

Just a strange observance, I tried to do a search but that did not come up with any returns so thought i'd post a new thread.

Thanks!
Mid year 2004 Infiniti changed the way the auto tranny works. Now, when you come to a stop, the MM mode will drop you into first. This change also holds the selected gear. i.e. when you are in third, it will not downshift unless you come to a complete stop. The late 2004s and all 2005s have a great auto MM mode!

Old 04-15-2005, 11:00 AM
when I got my 05 g35x and was driving on the highway I switched over to SS mode and I was in 4th. I wondered about the down shift but was told this is normal. Depending on the speed you are at when you switch over the display will show what gear you are in. It will never show 5th and since you are in 4th by 30 mph it will show 4th most of the time. I have seen it show 3 and 2 on a rare ocassion.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:33 AM
That truly sucks, so can anyone confirm if there is absolutely no way the TCU can be upgraded?

Old 04-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not sure what you are saying. when you are at a stop and the car is in auto mode and then u movie it to MM it should display the number 1 and then u shift through the gears as you accellerate. if you are in drviing 40 mph in mm mode and you are in 3rd gear and you come to a stop using the brake the car will downshift for you back to 1st gear.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by MrBillMartin
im not sure what you are saying. when you are at a stop and the car is in auto mode and then u movie it to MM it should display the number 1 and then u shift through the gears as you accellerate. if you are in drviing 40 mph in mm mode and you are in 3rd gear and you come to a stop using the brake the car will downshift for you back to 1st gear.
Well pretty much that's the way things work

Dead stop - Switch to SS - Transmission display 4m (or m4)

I understand if you are already cruising whether it's 15/40 or 60 and you move it to SS it will switch to whatever gear your auto was in at the time of the switch (makes sense since you don't want to drop it to 1 if you're going like 60 mph, wouldn't be good for the transmission or for you )

I talked to my dealer, and pretty much that's what they said No way to upgrade (via firmware flash or what have you).

Now the other question, how hard/difficult would it be to replace the TCU with an 04.5 (which I should have had) or are there any other options? This pretty much defeats the purpose of having a SS transmission if it behaves the way this one does.

Are there physically significant differences between the 04's and 04.5's in terms of transmission characteristics that this would be extremely advised against?

Old 04-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by EZZ
Unfortunately, you have the old software in your tranny. The 04.5 models are more like the G35 coupe and your Acura where you have complete control (even from 1-2). I don't think there is an upgrade because it was built into the TCU.
I have an 03 and have complete control over my 1-2 shift in MM.

Not for the earlier G models. If I select MM, it automatically displays "4" regardless of if I'm at a stop or rolling. I don't find it a big deal at a stop because all I have to do is pop the shifter down three times and I've got 1. If I'm in MM in 4th at say 40mph, it will hold 4th unless I go WOT and then it will downshift resistently. I think this a safeguard Nissan felt was necessary for people who forgot they were in MM and need to pass someone.

I've driven an 05 Subaru Legacy with the MM that shifts into 1st at a stop and I found it kind of annoying because it forces you to have to run the gears from all stops. Apparantly this is the way the newer Gs operate.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:16 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I have an 03 and have complete control over my 1-2 shift in MM.

Not for the earlier G models. If I select MM, it automatically displays "4" regardless of if I'm at a stop or rolling. I don't find it a big deal at a stop because all I have to do is pop the shifter down three times and I've got 1. If I'm in MM in 4th at say 40mph, it will hold 4th unless I go WOT and then it will downshift resistently. I think this a safeguard Nissan felt was necessary for people who forgot they were in MM and need to pass someone.

I've driven an 05 Subaru Legacy with the MM that shifts into 1st at a stop and I found it kind of annoying because it forces you to have to run the gears from all stops. Apparantly this is the way the newer Gs operate.
I was referring to the acura tranny not having the ability to shift 1-2 manually. All Acura sportshifts shift the 1-2 for you whether you want it to or not

The only difference between the 03-04 and 04.5 to 05 (besides rev-matching) is that the older trannies were top gear selectors as opposed to true manumatics (meaning you HAVE to row through the gears yourself). All coupes are true manumatics regardless of the year of production.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:30 PM
My understanding..

This is kind of funny, I guess Infiniti didn't initially think highly of sedan drivers did they (thinking that sedan drivers would forget to shift)?

Very strange so I guess this is what i have found so far;

set the indicator (m + gear) to 1 and you haveto manually shift to second, but then when you stop at a stop light you no longer haveto do the 1 > 2 shift after you accelerate from the stop, but should you want to goto 3, you would haveto shift manually to 3.

If you stop, the car will automatically downshift to 1, but upon accelerating you don't haveto shift upto the gear that is displayed on the dash.

What's the purpose? Very strange implementation of the manumatic mode. I guess something I will either haveto live with (or until someone makes a mod to change it )

Old 04-16-2005, 04:01 AM
i think its good that we can get into 4th gear at a stop cuz most cars cant..you know what i mean..you are kinda more in control of the gears that way since you can go all da way up to 4th kinda kool for me..late